“Varied Menu”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“Varied Menu”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We enjoyed a well cooked meal here with two friends. We all had something different and the general feeling was that someone had tried hard to produce an interesting menu with lovely ingredients. Some courses were delicious, some lacking a little in taste such as my haddock/egg starter. But we would be happy to go back. The service was a little slow but every request was catered to immediately. The only big drawback was the small and poor wine menu. The wines were extremely disappointing and over-priced. The environment is very pleasant and the fire was a very welcome addition. With drinks and tips we paid about £35 per head.

• Visited March 2014

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding!!!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had the pleasure of eating here today for the new years dinner menu, Wow! Excellent beef that melted in your mouth, the service and welcome was brilliant and the pudding was just spot on. Well done to everyone at the lakeside, I will be looking forward to eating here again! 5* service and food!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tom G
powys
“what happened?”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Returned again this week but to be honest service was slow (though pleasant) and mash appeared to be 'instant' dare i say it! also frozen potato croquet...really?!! Limp asparagus and green beans as a veg dish was dissapointing. Please go back to how you used to be...good food, generous, fresh and tasty

Newtown
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Have been to the Lakeside many many times in the past and always loved it but on my last visit I was disappointed in the food. The menu has changed since my last visit. Some of the meals don't actually come with chips. I had chicken in a honey and mustard sauce with some strange potato thingy with a french name that I don't remember. Two very small portions of sliced potato and sliced onion with chicken stock (basically a stock cube in water), quite odd to be honest and I was glad I ordered chips as a side order as this meal did actually go with chips. Yes I ate my meal and yes it was OK but I don't think I would order it again and I didn't look at my friends' meals and wish I was eating what they had either. Also, there were not salad options on the menu which is unusual. The portion sizes of the chips and veg are noticeably smaller than in the past. Disappointed to say the least but the venue is very nice.

mid wales
“Family lunch”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I haven't been here before......but will certainly go again. Our lunch for 6 was superb and suited all tastes. The portions are large to say the least, far too much for me so I didnt have one of the most delicious looking puddings on offer (next time it will be a starter and pud only) another point to make is that the meal did not include masses of chips as is sometimes given in other restaurants to make the meal look good value for money. The tables are well set out so no one feels on top of anyone else, just as well as we had our baby grandson with us so a high chair was at our table too. We all commented on the beautiful scenery and how well the grounds and lead up to the restaurant are kept, still pretty at this time of year. I can only imagine how peaceful it would be to sit outside on a bamy summers evening, with friends and enjoy a drink or two after one of their delicious meals. A definite winner