“Just perfect!”

The Potting Shed Cafe
Ranked #19 of 50 Restaurants in Welshpool
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Potting Shed Cafe, a busy and vibrant place to eat, is situated within the beautiful Georgian Courtyard of the recently re-opened Glansevern Hall Gardens. The cafe menu changes fortnightly, with a mouth watering array of produce coming directly from the Walled Garden, alongside the ever present tempting selection of cakes. The cafe a stylish rustic venue, hosts a series of increasingly popular evening events including The Friday Night Gourmet Pizza, Beer & Wine Bar.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Love everything! Good coffee, cakes, pizzas, puddings and just love the setting. Have been a few times now and look forward to returning and trying one of the gourmet evenings.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

What a place! We stopped off at the end of cycling around the Vale of Montgomery to enjoy a garden stroll (albeit a lycra-clad one). The café is superb. My partner had bruschetta which he said was the best he had ever tasted. I simply wanted cake and was not disappointed by the choice and quality. They advertise gourmet pizza evenings which, on the basis of our first visit would be a reason for quite a detour if we were anywhere near there.

The staff were lovely and re-filled our water bottles etc. No bike rack but we were advised that bikes can be brought right into the café area.

The gardens themselves are stunning and the combination of the two made for a wonderful end to our day. We cannot wait to return.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

On our inaugural visit to this attraction, on the hottest day of the year so far, we were firstly enthralled by the magical and sensitively nurtured gardens. The collection of exotic trees was so exciting and very special. My wife who is a conservation biologist and skilled botanist, thought this was to be her favourite garden because of the sensitivity to areas of more formal design alongside more wild areas supporting wildlife and wild flowers.The day was made complete by our meal at The Potting Shed cafe. A creative and uncluttered menu allowed a limited yet adequate choice of meals. We were so impressed by the freshness of taste and depth of flavours. To say we were spoilt by the extensive collection of cakes, deserts etc would be an understatement. Absolutely delicious! The meal we ate could have been prepared in a high end restaurant. We enjoyed it all so much. The relaxing calmness whilst sat in the outdoor seating area left our party reluctant to leave the table area but left us with an appetite for a return trip with our respective parents and family. The staff were prompt and polite and seemed happy in their work.

1  Thank Browncow24
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

At the end of our visit to the gardens, we've been invited by the lovely and friendly staff to enjoy a cup of tea in the café. My husband and I totally enjoyed there, everybody smiling, comfortable atmosphere, we had a lovely afternoon tea with 3 home-made cakes! Yes 3! :)) we couldn't decide what to choose such a big variety of cakes all mouth watering. I must admit all three cakes Flapjack, brownie and coffee cake were adorable.
Staff very caring, we were quite cold from our long walk in the gardens so they started the fire for us, making the atmosphere even cosier. They have a traditional wood burner for heat btw. Very delightful worth a visit!!

1  Thank qriqui7
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I read a review about this little known hideaway whilst staying in Montgomery for a few days and took a trip to find it.

Driving down the scenic country roads on the way to Welshpool, I came across the sign to Glansevern Hall and a formal drive that lead me to my destination.

Nestled into the corner of a beautiful, grand courtyard setting The Potting Shed is a cosy Cafe come restaurant that has neat cottage tables and comfy sofas warmed by a wood burning stove. It immediately reminds you of what it would have been like in the old days with smiling staff, a relaxed efficient atmosphere and somewhere for you to relax and lap up the ambience, whilst the chefs were busying themselves baking what looked like wonderful cakes.

I indulged in a glass of wine and asked about some exquisitely creative food shown on the menu. I was cheerfully informed that much of it came from the Glansevern Gardens across the courtyard.

I was so tempted by the abundance of delicious scents that I didn’t know where to start.

I am a meat lover but as this was my first trip and not wanting to offend the very pleasant girl who served me I took the plunge and was not disappointed in the slightest. I gingerly requested the wild garlic soup to start followed by a recommendation to try the Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato salad as my main.

The wild garlic soup was fresh and delicious and I was told having finished it that it had been made that morning from the freshly picked wild garlic from the estate too.

It was filling but I wondered if this could be topped. but equally tasty and ample, even for my appetite was the salad which was a delight with subtle flavours and textures and perfectly presented.

To end with and to break all traditions I took up the gauntlet of the pecan pie again homemade. It was simply divine.

I am now a convert not just of eating dishes that contain no animal in them whatsoever but also of adding a pudding to end of my meal. I will be back.

Thank you little Potting Shed Cafe, my trip to this beautiful part of the world was complete”.

1  Thank Juliet M