“Lovely Pub, Nice Food but Small Portion, Terrible Rest Room.”
Review of Blue Anchor Inn

Blue Anchor Inn
Ranked #3 of 118 Restaurants in Barry
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Blue Anchor Inn was one of the first pubs in South Wales to produce quality bar meals back in the 1980's. Since then we have gone from strength to strength, winning awards including the South Wales Food Pub of the year for four years,2013, 2011, 2008 and 2006. We are Egon Ronay recommended and are included in the Michelin Eating out in Pubs guide since 2007(the only South Wales entry in the guide), as well as the AA Pub Guide 2013, where we appear as Pick of the Pubs for the Vale of Glamorgan.As well as food who could forget real ales! we have always been a forerunner in the promotion of real ale in South Wales. We were the first winner of the CAMRA pub of the year award back in 1983 and we have maintained our position to the present day by being included in the current 2013 CAMRA Guide.
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This place oozes 14th Century character, especially the entrance bar, what a place!!! Probably the best pub I have visited in respect to its architecture, but on the whole it wasn't perfect by far.

The food, although very nice was a bit pricey and on the small side. Had to pay extra for the garlic bread with my beef stroganoff, which is often standard. Had a similar meal at another local pub (see my other review) for the same price had twice as much in my bowl and the bread was included. The service was ok but I did get the feeling that the staff were not as friendly to us English as their fellow Welsh visitors.

Now the bad bit. The Gents rest room was appalling. The only sink to wash your hands in had no hot water due to the fact the tap was falling off the basin and there was no running water to the urinals. Also tiles were smashed in places and the room seemed dirty and out dated. It probably had better toilets when it was built in the 1380's !!!

Don't normally mention the restrooms when I review an establishment, but they were dreadful, this complaint may get the owners to sort this Health and Safety/Public Hygiene issue out.

Could easily have gives The Blue Anchor Inn Five Stars, spend some cash on your amenities and offer a little better value for money and you're there!

3  Thank bigwaverider9

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We were a group of eleven people who all live in Fonmon and Rhoose area which is quite close to the Blue Anchor. The service was attentive and the food was very good quality and most enjoyable with a generous range of vegetables.

We all had a very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and myself ate at this restaurant and I can only say we were both impressed. Not only with the quality of food but with the overall cost. Its a must eat at place if your in the area, or looking for somewhere good to eat. A real oldie worldie pub with a fantastic atmosphere.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We were en route back from a trip to Pembrokeshire, and wanted a nice place to stop after a walk around Dunraven Bay. This was the perfect place to stop - great ambience, friendly staff and other customers, and the food was amazing.

Duck croquettes and mushroom ravioli were particularly good, I don't doubt everything we didn't try on the menu was delicious as well.

Wish I lived closer, thanks for a great experience.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I eat here often when staying with friends in East Aberthaw. My favourite in the menu being the beef stroganoff. The staff are always friendly. I always enjoy a night in the blue anchor