“Disappointing”

The Welsh Hawking Centre
Ranked #9 of 21 things to do in Barry
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The website gave a fabulous impression of what awaited our visit. I went along with family, two children, four adults. It costs us £28. We were told there was a display shortly and to be fair the display was ok. The seating for the display and the very small children play area was very dirty, covered in mildew and bird excrement, The display of 3 birds was very basic although audience participation allowed which was good. As discribed there were animals there as well as birds of prey. There were a few horses, couple of rabbits, hens and geese. The toilets are in need of updating. The Centre isn't very big and we had been around the complex including the display in just over an hour (disappointing).

There are newer reviews for The Welsh Hawking Centre

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I enjoyed seeing the birds, albeit, they did appear somewhat unhappy about being caged up. Living in Northern Canada, close to my land runs a river, every year many bald eagles nest there, soaring high above, so seeing a few close up, I was amazed as to how big these birds actualy were....

1  Thank Riverviewpines
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I went along with some youngster to visit the Hawking Centre and what a great experience. The high light was watching the Peregrin Falcon climb to about 1000 feet after food on a cord. It struggled to gain height and was rewarded with grabbing the food and slowly bringing it down to earth.
The size of the birds on show was amazing. I highly rcommend this Centre to family wanting to see the birds in the Hawking Centre.

1  Thank Geoffrey H
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We were a party of 6 (3 adults, 3 children) and admission was a very reasonable £22. A lovely parrot greets you with a very audible "hello." A vast array of birds to see including a bald Eagle. The owner flew three different birds of prey in the main ring and they were fascinating. They were a Harris hawk, a Red kite who is 21 and a Falcon that reaches speeds of up to 60 miles an hour. Children also had the opportunity to wear a glove and have the Harris hawk land on their arms. My 2 year old had a go too. Luckily we had good weather as falcons don't like to fly in the rain I'm told. A family run business, all members of staff were very welcoming and knowledgeable. We thoroughly enjoyed our couple of hours here. Yes the play park isn't of a high standard but do kids really care? No. Ours loved it and didn't want to leave. I like that it isn't commercialised and it's a very natural, tranquil place to visit. Don't know why I've never been before but will certainly go again. Take a packed lunch as there isn't a cafe. Also falconry experiences up for grabs from £60 according to signs.

2  Thank Forthelolz
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The place is not very big, the pens are pretty small and somewhat on the ramshackle side, and the whole place could use a revamp.

However their collection of birds is suprising, for a place this size. There are loads of hawks and falcons (the centre seem to breed them), as well as multiple large birds; eagle owls, golden eagles, bald eagles, and more.

The flying displays are at 12 and 2. When we were there, there were not many guests so the handler flew some younger birds who needed guest experience. They were great fun, and it is clear he has a good relationship with the centre's flying birds.

I was reassured to see that the trained birds all seem to get a turn outdoors, weather permitting. I also noticed that while we were there, a lot of training (of both handlers and birds) was going on "behind the scenes". It is a working falconry centre.

So after a poor initial impression I ended up feeling better about it. I would love to see them get improved funding for upkeep of their buildings and pens, because they're doing good work.

3  Thank kafine