“Disgusting excuse for a conservation project”

The Welsh Hawking Centre
Ranked #10 of 21 things to do in Barry
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Utterly appalling conditions for the birds. Basically a breeding centre for international raptor sales, under the pretence of being a zoo with conservation at its heart.

If you've ever been upset by raptor enthusiasts who keep birds chained to posts, then this place will really upset you. Visit birds in their natural habitat, find a feeding centre in mid Wales instead!

6  Thank Sam W
"land"
in 5 reviews
"granddaughter"

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Haven't been here for a long while, and to be honest wish i hadn't gone back!! Dirty, Run Down and depressing. 14 year old son said it looked like the birds were in prison! Horses kept in very small stables and not clean. More chickens than anything else. Much better Owl Sanctuary "Festival Park Owl Sanctuary" free to go in but likes donations. I think the RSPB should go here and close it down to be honest. VERY expensive £16 for 2 adults and a child.

All i can say to people who feel like going here for a visit is DON'T BOTHER!!

3  Thank RavenStar70
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I came here with work a while a go. I wouldn't rave about this place, it's ok. Nothing great. Walked around to see the birds which took no more than half an hour then watched a bird show. It was ok, pricey for whats there. Good for kids as they have a park. I wouldn't personally recommend or return. I assisted a wheelchair user (phoned before hand to make sure it was accessible) but I wouldn't say so, it's all flat but it has those tiny stone chippings which make it difficult to manoeuvre a wheelchair. Shame really as it could be a good little day out.

2  Thank Wales_needs_sun
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Although I was there to see the Great Grey Owl I was quite disappointed with all which I thought was a lot of birds caged. being a keen photographer I wanted to photograph more birds of prey website very misleading not only did I come away only photographing the great grey and a couple of other birds I got more shots of baby geese than I did birds. would like to have seen more birds on display. the toilets are in need of repair and couldn't buy anything from the shop as they had NO CHANGE.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The website gave a fabulous impression of what awaited our visit. I went along with family, two children, four adults. It costs us £28. We were told there was a display shortly and to be fair the display was ok. The seating for the display and the very small children play area was very dirty, covered in mildew and bird excrement, The display of 3 birds was very basic although audience participation allowed which was good. As discribed there were animals there as well as birds of prey. There were a few horses, couple of rabbits, hens and geese. The toilets are in need of updating. The Centre isn't very big and we had been around the complex including the display in just over an hour (disappointing).