“Friendly, family run and in a lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Countryman Inn

The Countryman Inn
The Countryman Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Pontyclun B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Friendly, family run and in a lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here whilst visiting Cardiff for the rugby recently and really enjoyed it. The couple who run it were friendly, helpful and the breakfast was fabulous. I'd go back and would recommend the Countryman to others too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LinHarrison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed at The Countryman Inn for 2 nights in January 2014 whilst attending the University of South Wales. Ideal location - beautiful and so peaceful. Just what I needed after a hard day.
I must now mention the food.......wow. I've never eaten so well whilst away from home. I could not fault the quality, taste and delivery - flawless. This applies to both the evening meal and breakfast.
I would highly recommend the The Countryman not only for the location and food but also the staff - so friendly and welcoming. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marc_Rowley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stay here last weekend for a friends wedding. It was fab , the food was lovely and the service brilliant. We decided to stay last minute and had no problem getting a room the staff were very polite and helpful. The room that we stayed in a stunning I would recommend the countryman highly.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Leahlucas
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

The hotel is owned built and run by the owner’s they are straight down to earth people that made me feel very welcome and looked after me very well indeed.

I don’t work away very often and try to get home if I can, but this business trip I had to do an overnighter.

The hotel is situated in lovely surroundings it’s spotlessly clean and as I say the welcome I received was just like I was walking in to a member of my family’s home.

The room was decorated to a high standard (I think it had just been done) I am a big bloke and the bed was comfy and the room was very clean

The landlady asked me if I would be eating when I checked in and I said I would – I would just get changed and have a pint 1st.

Came down to a lovely pint of carling and was presented with a bar menu and a restaurant menu – good choice of dishes on both.

I chose a 16oz gammon steak of the restaurant menu and I was asked what I wanted with it – to be honest I was given options that wasn’t even on the menu – I think I could have what I wanted.
To me this is how it should be .

my dinner was presented beautifully and as a bit of a connoisseur of meat (as I travel all over Warwickshire for my meat) I could tell this wasn’t wholesale pre-packed rubbish – and it certainly wasn’t defrosted. Proper homemade chips and eggs and peas.

And then this is why family run establishments are best the landlord came out and said everything alright – and asked if I wanted anymore. “you have paid for a meal – I make sure you get a good’un” -- And I did.

We sat in the bar / restaurant area – a local guy came and ordered steak and we all sat, ate and had a few pints and took the Mick out of the euro vision contest.

The Gaffer/owner asked what time I would like breakfast and told me what was on offer – I told him I would have what I am given (as I knew It would be good) but don’t worry about the cereals - I came down to a cracking breakfast of sausage ,bacon,mushrooms,egg,proper tomatoes(not tinned) fried potatoes,beans and toast , fresh orange juice, pot of tea – set me right up for the day.

As I was working in the valleys – I asked if they would make up my flask with coffee - no problem to them and they even cleaned me flask for me.

Well you may read this and think the focus is around the Grub – well my eithos is you don’t want to be hungry – it’s imperative you have a good night’s sleep – and I needed to know my van was safe as all my tools are in it.

Nothing was too much trouble for this couple – I have stopped in 5 star hotels all over the world – give me the countryman ethos and standards any time.
Right up my street and I will be taking the family back along with my dad to enjoy the countryside the fishing and the hospitality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank lee c
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were staying elsewhere locally and needed a hearty meal after the days traveling. Location wise its off the beaten track and we drove passed it twice before realizing it was open, on entering the restaurant we were welcomed but it was presumed we were for a room, once that was settled we were handed to a waitress and seated. The restaurant was clean and tidy but lacked any character or feeling and despite the open fire left us a bit cold. Food wise, I think the chef is trying too hard, Garlic Chicken was ordered and this is what I got, a very large semi sliced chicken breast swimming in garlic sauce. Sadly the chicken breast was defrosted as its flesh was rubbery and chewy. The garlic sauce whilst not over powering was excessive. On completing the meal and due to lack of atmosphere we retired to our lodgings elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid traveling to this location via Beddau as the roads are hazardous at night. Use the Glamorgan H...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barspeed
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

just stayed at the countryman inn for two nights over easter, best place we've stayed for years, recently stayed at a 'country house hotel' which was much more expensive and was nowhere near as good! Beautiful, spotlessly clean room, lovely and warm and with a comfortable bed. Breakfast was great and the other evening meals we had were spot on, large portions and perfectly cooked. John, the owner was very welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for him, he very kindly put a bottle of champagne (we brought with us) on ice and provided glasses so that we could enjoy the champagne in our room. We will definitely return and would recommend this inn to everybody! Beautiful countryside setting with fishing lakes and lovely country walks, Cardiff within half an hour, the best of both worlds. Can't find a bad word to say about the countryman inn and I'm a fussy devil!

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank patsy094
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I try to stop in rural locations not to far from towns as I like to walk & am sick of Travelodge’s etc. This really is a cracker, jaw dropping location, 10 mins from the town, nice bar, great room fab food and great great hosts. They really do make you feel welcome. Everything seems new and they have great buildings, you can sit outside on the patio overlooking the lake and enjoy your meal while observing the carp breaking the surface, they have Horses in the paddock and hills all around. My appointment was in Caerphilly and took 15mins to get there

Room Tip: Beer great and nice breakfast. I think all the rooms are good from what I saw
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Justin C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontyclun
Premier Inn Llantrisant Hotel
#3 of 3 in Pontypridd
Llechwen Hall Hotel
Llechwen Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Pontypridd

Been to The Countryman Inn? Share your experiences!