Decameron Los Cocos
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Loma Linda(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Posada Real(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Costa Alegre Hotel and Suites(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Hotel & Suites Mar y Sol(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Las Cabanas del Capitan(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Las Casitas(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Pool
Casablanca Resort(Rincon de Guayabitos)
View Hotel
Villas Dulce Suenos(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Pool
Villas Buena Vida(Rincon de Guayabitos)
  • Beachfront
Torreblanca Suites(Rincon de Guayabitos)
1,091 results
All reviewsmexican familiesbeach clubsuperior roomshrimpla bamba restaurantwhale watchingparty boatair mattressfishing villageair transatsnack barjungle tourbbq nightthree staradult poolstar resortmexican culture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The little village ambiance, the people, the hotel, sweet memories. The rooms were so very authentic, the little store across the middle, skip the OXXO, they are very overrated and 'full of themselves', alas, another story. Let me mention just a few of the incredible workers (and I do mean workers!). Yvette, our concierge, Sweet Litania, Duncan's smile, and of course Voris, Max, my shy Viridiana and of course our Hector who always kept us in 'the know' of the Canadian happenings. John is an older gentleman who lives in town and visits every day for friendship and breakfast at the hotel. John gets breakfast and we all learn about 'life'. This was one of those little places you might enjoy as long as you're not a 5-star person. Make sure to go to the old graveyard on the beach in La Penita - you won't be sorry. Bring your camera.

Room Tip: Adult section is nice and quiet but the pool is cold over the Christmas holidays.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Janice D
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Decameron los cocos was the perfect destination for my husbands’ and my honeymoon. (We did not however have the honeymoon package). When we arrived we were greeted by a bellboy who pointed us to the front desk and offered to watch our bags while we checked in at the front desk. We got all checked in and the bellboy offered to take our bags to the room to which we declined.
The room was simple, sweet and clean. We stayed in a room in the los cocos 4. It is by the front desk about 2 blocks straightforward from the beach. There are quite a few stairs to get to it. Our room overlooked the pool below and from the distance we could see the ocean and the island it was beautiful during the sunsets. The rooms were cleaned thoroughly everyday, the sheets were changed, cups replaced, water bottles replenished, soaps restocked and to top it off we got towel art on our beds everyday except 1. No complaints about the shower either. The water was hot after just a couple of seconds after turning on the hot. We even needed to put on the cold water so the hot wouldn’t get too hot.
We were so grateful that the pool was so close to us. It was boiling this May, reaching temperatures of 35 during our stay. We bought a ball and spent lots of time bobbing up and down passing the ball in the pool. The pools were nice and refreshing especially the one by the los cocos 4. We noticed the pools closer to the beach were out of order each for one full day during our stay (probably from people bringing in sand from the beach). The los cocos 4 pool was our favourite pool to swim and spend time by because it was quieter and we even had the pool to ourselves a couple of times. They had a row of umbrellas and loungers that were almost always available to sit in. The best part was that the bar was just a short walk from our chairs and it was also never busy.
The drinks at the bar were fantastic! There was a selection of 20 some alcoholic drinks. Their tequila stock was very agreeable to us Cabrito, Jose Cuervo, and some others. We tried several of the drinks and we were pleased with all of them. We favoured the Banana Mama, Marguarita (regular and Mango), Daiquiri (Regular and Banana), Tequila Amargo and Tequila Colins. Although the drinks were not made with fresh fruit they were still very delicious and tasted like real fruit. They made their drinks from fruit syrups very sweet but so delectable. I suggest (if you stay here) that you buy a big plastic cup for ordering drinks at the bar; we bought ours for 15 pesos at the resorts little convenience store. The cups that were provided at the bar were miniscule and caused me to get up to get drinks more frequently then I wanted too.
Thankfully the food was of equal calibre to the drinks. We mostly ate at the Buffet restaurants, which we enjoyed very much. We ate at the tropical restaurant more often but enjoyed the food at both just the same. Every meal included tortilla chips and a variety of salsas and other dips and toppings. I discovered that fried cactus is amazing, more so when it is freshly cooked. At lunch and supper they always had two soups; my favourites were the fish soup with carrots and onions and the tortilla soup. The spread of dishes were wide but the ingredients were not as variable. The vegetable dishes were bland and under cooked so by the end of the trip I ended up avoiding them. The best way to get your veggies at the resort is in the soup. The meat was very flavourful and lots were to my taste but don’t expect think cuts of meat here. There was lots of seafood and it was by far the best tasting protein available. We had fish, shrimp, clams and crab and they were all prepared deliciously. If you like seafood you wont be disappointed, there is lots of sea food at the los cocos and it is tasty.
The staff was very friendly, informative and welcoming. I’d say 90% of the staff knows some English (from very broken to very fluent). With the very bit of Spanish that I knew we were able to get around the hotel with no problem. The staff members at the Los cocos work very hard. You always see them busy sweeping, mopping, touching up the paint and cleaning the rooms. It seems to take the maids all day to clean all the rooms. Some days our room was attended to first thing in the morning and others not until the late afternoon. Many members of the staff I spoke too were very patient to listen to me practice my Spanish and many were quite encouraging. If you are staying at the Los cocos don’t be afraid to ask the staff for anything you might want or need. They will give you all the information you need in order to make your stay the most enjoyable.
Our stay was during the slow season; this meant that we were 2 of the only 4 white people on the resort. The other lovely couple we met were from BC, they left 2 days after we arrived. This gave us the opportunity to truly enjoy and observe the culture. We took advantage of the various activities that the hotel had to offer, all very rich with culture. On our fourth night, there was a Mexican fiesta. With all the tradition Mexican food that was the opener for the wonderful show “Los Colores de Mexico” (The colours of Mexico). The show included many varieties of Mexican dances from traditional Mexican dance (similar to the French gigue), to sexy salsa dancing. During costume changes the hosts kept us entertained and pumped with really funny fillers. The funniest involved three men from the crowd to act out a skit, they were competing for who was the most Macho man in the resort. They all had to copy the same skit that involved riding a stallion, strutting like a tuff guy in steal toe boots, shooting a gun, beating up a boy, then drinking a tequila followed by a Mexican laugh. It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Another thing we enjoyed about the resorts culture was the music and how loud it was. The volume for the show was set to an earthshaking volume, but for good reason because it was necessary in order to hear in over the crowd. We didn’t need to understand much Spanish (my husband not understanding at all still enjoyed the show) to enjoy ourselves; the hotel puts on an impressive show.
Last but certainly not least is the price. This hotel is very inexpensive for the value that you get in return. You pay for a 3 star hotel but get the 4 star treatments. This hotel takes very good care of their guests for a very low cost. My husband and I definitely want to return there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Amy P
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We usually go to the Royal Decameron but decided to try this smaller property this year. We spent two weeks in April and thoroughly enjoyed our stay even if the second week was semana santa. Wow! What a party! We've never seen so many people on the beach and in the town! But we really enjoyed being immersed in the Mexican culture and we really enjoyed this resort. As has been said so many times, the property is spotless and the staff so friendly and helpful. The evening entertainment was great and we recommend enjoying it every evening. We went to San Blas with Salvador and that was a 10 hour trip filled with wonderful lessons on history, agriculture, reptiles, birds........we even saw Salvador rescue a chick even if he did fall in crocodile infested water. If you want to eat off the resort go up to Vista Guaybitos. Also be sure to go down the beach at 7am to see the fishermen bring in their catch. We'll be back.

Room Tip: we stayed in block 4 and although you get a good workout on the stairs, it's quiet and offers a great view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 471chris
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel in Febuary, it was one of our best vacations. The staff was very friendly, clean rooms, great food, we would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice relaxing vacation. Banana Mamas were my favorite drink...Does anyone know whats in this drink?? So yummy...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Denise N
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband I went on our first Mexican Vacation in March 2014. We spent hours and hours trying to decide on a resort to stay with. We finally decided on the Hotel Decameron because of all of the great reviews.

We arrived at night and we were a little bit nervous about our decision, but by the time we were lounging by the Adults pool the next afternoon with a book and a daquairi, we were happy with our decision.

Pools are great. Towel service is wonderful and handy. There are always fresh/dry towels available.

Meals were very nice. Nothing over the top fancy, but always delicious. The omelet lady needs an award for her talents.

A La Carte dinners were nice, but the highlight of those dinners (for me) was the Azteca soup. A La Cartes are available every night, and you could go every night if you wanted to. No limits.

The staff are all very friendly and courteous.

The beach is beautiful, busy with Vendors, but they were very respectful of our space. Look for Iban - He made the cutest bracelets for our boys. He approached me on our first day, and I asked him to look for me in a few days. He waited 2 days, found me, remembered my name, and I was sold! He sat right down with us, talked about where we were from, asked about our kids, and let me take pictures of him making the bracelets,

Alicias Tours has the most AMAZING day trips. She is located down the beach (left of the resort) next to the building with the big 21 on top.The Jungle Tour in San Blas was probably the highlight of our trip. It's a long drive to get there, but 100% worth it. Prices are very reasonable, and all of the tours that we went on included a very friendly and knowledgeable guide, lunch, and a cooler of drinks for the day.

Rooms were very nice. Clean, not fancy, but very cool and comfortable. Bring Shampoo and Conditioner. Those are not included.

The Market in Los Cocos on Monday was great, and the Market in La Pinita on Thursdays was bigger, but many of the same items and vendors attend both Markets. Check out the fingernail paintings on tile. We bought a couple on Monday, and 4 more on Thursday. :)

Thursdays Market had a guy making fresh Churros. WAY cheaper than the Churros at Disney, and 10X tastier!

Decameron shows were fun. I missed the comedy night, but I heard it was a blast. The 'All countries' dancing show was something that I wouldn't go to again. We got pulled up on stage for the Couples Dating show though and it was a lot of fun, and we won ourselves a bottle of tequila.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cocos 2. We were very happy with the location. Fairly quiet, pool right downstairs, bar and buffet within 3 minute walk, adult pool/a la carte dinner are about a 5-7 minute walk back up to the main hotel reception. If we go again, we might ask to be in the upper building so we could be closer to the adults pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple