“Loved It!!!”

Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Jessup, MD
“Loved It!!!”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The staff was friendly. The location awesome. Easy access to anywhere in the city but directly on the beach. Mall, restaurants, grocery, souvenir stores and more up-down-or across the street. The room was decent. I included all the pictures I could. No bugs, rust, or anything else to complain. Second floor studio was great for my wife and I. The beach is relaxing and they provide chair, umbrella, and beach towels. I would go back.

Room Tip: Our second floor studio looking into the garden was a great view into sunrise so imagine getting a h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Luv2TavelALot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Honestly, we have nothing to complain about. The check in was quick, staff pleasant and efficient, 1 bedroom unit was good size, 2 tv's.Everything was clean, they supply only soap, so bring your own shampoo,toothpaste and coffee maker filters.The only thing that I found uncomfortable was the pillows-I could not get the right one for me.There is all kind of stores and restaurants along Collings ave-across the street. The beach was clean, they provided umbrellas and chairs for the resort guests. We had a buffet lunch in Azzurro on Sunday- nothing impressive, we cooked most of our meals at home.They have a nice library(club) with internet cafe where you can print your boarding passes for free- that was very convenient.Overall, we had an enjoyable stay.Thanks to all resort workers!

Room Tip: If you are staying in Building 3 ask for 4th or 5th floor for better view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank torontasha
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We really appreciated this no frills hotel. It was a down to earth hotel. We will be returning. See below for more details. Nice restaurant at poolside, pool is large-needs some TLC and needs to be cleaned much more often. Water quite foggy and dirty. A little family entertainment such as music at poolside would be a great investment for Golden Strand.

Room Tip: Ideal spot for those whom have children and or accompanied by older vacation members, also for anyon...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TerriF41
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 5 August 2012

rude staff disappointed in room old and out of date.very disapointed .it was not clean and lot of rust and everything just look old.the two bed room had pleny of room but need to be up graded. the toilet was running.we ask them for another room and thay said the room was already asign to us and i know that was not truth.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jeffreynobles
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We checked in after a week long cruise on July 7th. The lobby is beautiful smells clean and is nicely decorated. The service at the restaurant was good. But the room itself. Well it was nice to have bigger space than the cabin on the cruise ship but the room well...... The counter in the kitchen someone had put a hot cup or something which it had a burn mark. The bathroom fan was so noisey I prefered to go into the bathroom in the dark plus it helped to not see the nasty shower sliding door with other peoples hair on it. My husband had to call maintance within the first hour since the bed post was coming off the wall. We had a cricket join us early morning during the stay. I was so happy to leave this place and move to the Westin in Fort Lauderdale what a difference. Oh and beware of crossing the street it is a death trap. I almost got hit by a car after pushing the walk light and waiting a car came speeding thru. My husband almost got hit too. And if you do not get back to the Ocean Strand early you have to park across the street at their lot which is a PAIN. I would never stay there again. Crossing the street is very dangerous and I grew up in a beach town and never experienced such danger. People drive way to fast and do not pay attention. Beware. The only positives are parking there is cheap but you may have to go thru hoops (like crossing that street) and the restaurant food is descent. Otherwise,,,

4 Thank Dstuff42
Nanuet, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We went to this resort through RCI and we were quite disappointed about the whole experience at this resort. I booked this resort so far advance, forgot to check their extra additional fees.
THEY CHARGE MANDATORY $10 per day amenities fee that I was VERY unhappy about.
Unless you're staying at the resort everyday, hanging out on the beach all day--- why do you need to pay for amenities that you're not using?? Wireless didn't even work during our 4 day stay!

THERE'S $21 PARKING PER CAR with very limited parking spaces. We got lucky enough to
park at the resort property but we would have hated to park across the street.

CHECK IN:
It was the SLOWEST check in that I ever experienced!
It might've took about 30-40min. and it def. wasn't a pleasant start of a vacation.
They said they it was very busy for them, and it was saturday afternoon.

STUDIO ROOM:
We had a corner room 4110 on buiding 4, on the 4th floor.
Very disappointed that the ocean view was just through the window that wouldn't open.
I feel like if you're renting a studio room, you won't get the balcony.
The room was pretty small with hardly any counter space except for the dining table for two with 2 chairs only. This STUDIO room was for 4 people stay,,, but that's impossible unless you have 2 babies. It was a typical small size hotel room with a tiny kitchen area.
The room didn't even have luggage tables.

BATHOOM:
Small and again with no counter space to put my makeup stuff.
Bathtub was old and showerhead was quality of a cheap motel. Very disappointed...
Though tiles looked like it was updated.

TV,DVD, CD player:
The room had a TV cabinet and was expecting to see a big rounded old tv, but they had LG LCD tv in there. Pleasantly surprised that they also had a DVD player.
They only have one alarm clock with radio functions. There's no CD player.

BED:
Wasn't terrible. Can't say that I couldn't sleep but it wasn't great. Linens were acceptable.

BEACH:
First day on the beach... was disappointed that there were seagrass all over.
But seagrass looked like it was cleaned up the next day. I guess it's the season.
Beach gets pretty deep so it's not a child friendly beach.
They provide beach chairs and umbrella's and free that comes with the $10 a day fee.

OVERALL:
again,, it wasn't terrible but wouldn't go back, and I won't recommend to my friends or families.

Room Tip: If you get Building 3 or 4-- it's close to the street but ocean is still visible if you're o...
3 Thank elleno
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Overall, very disappointing experience and advise others to stay away. It’s incredible to me that this hotel had a 3.5 out of 5 star review on RCI and trip advisor. I think people are fooled into being generous with reviews because of the nearby beach.

This hotel only really has only two positives; beach front location and proximity to restaurants, malls, and the general area of Sunny Isles, which is fantastic.

However, that is where the positives end and the negatives mount.

We ‘stayed’ in a studio with a kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The room was not ready when we arrived and the cleaning crew was still at work. This is very frustrating after a long day of traveling. The sorry excuse for a ‘mattress’ folds down from the wall and consists of 3 inches of hard springs. Good luck sleeping on that. The sheets, blankets, pillows, etc are disgusting. I can’t imagine actually using them comfortably. There was always a bad smell in the room from the dirty water the cleaning crew used to mop the floor.

Everything is very old in this hotel. It was clearly built in the 1960s, hasn’t changed at all, and needs to be bulldozed to make room for more of the fabulous high rises on either side of the building.

The wifi was broken during the entire week. I’m still confused why the hotel took so long to address and fix this problem.

The lack of parking is ridiculous. If the small lot fills up, which it does every day, then you’ll be parking on the adjacent block and walking.

When I say we ‘stayed’ here, that means we used the kitchen and fridge to save some money on food and drinks for the week. The place was actually so unbearable that we made the decision to move to the hotel Sole just down the street and pay for both places. We used the Sole as our main bedroom and living area and only came back to the Ocean Strand for some meals to make food.

I'd strongly recommend against staying at this resort. What a disappointing rip off.

Room Tip: Don't get a studio room and all costs.
5 Thank RWill272727
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,467 reviews
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,104 reviews
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
The Confidante
The Confidante
#34 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,748 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,397 reviews

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!