“First trip to Miami”

Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in August 2013. Had an absolutely perfect vacation. We stayed in one of the Garden Villas which was a gorgeous 2 bedroom 2 bathroom with huge living area. The villa was perfect lovely and clean and the beds were comfortable with crisp white linens. They provided nice white towels in the bathrooms and towels for beach and pool too. The guys on the beach are great they come and bring you your cushions and umbrellas, the sea is a perfect temp. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Lots of amenities close to the resort shopping, starbucks :) supermarkets, pharmacy, and the aventura mall is only a couple of miles away. Local buses run frequently back and forward. We would definately visit this resort again.

Room Tip: We had a villa which is huge, but our friends had a corner suite and it was also very large with a b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Sandra S

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed here for two weeks with family. Got in late the first night. Efficient and courtous front desk checked us in to our rooms. Not only was my son and I tired from the traveling, but we found the room ready with clean towels, sheets and a view of the beach which we don't get to see very often. Almost forgot to mention, each room has a tv, full kitchen. Refrigerator, microwave, cooking utensils, plates, silverware, cups, coffee maker and toaster. Rooms had adequate A/C.as we were visiting during the summer time. On the morning of our second week, we were upgraded to a suite apartment. The resort was healthy landscaped with tropical plants and many palm trees. In the middle of the resort was a 6 foot pool. Also an Italian restaurant and a pool side bar for those who wanted a drink before dinner. We even dined during our stay at Tony Roma's Resturaunt across the street from the resort. Best to drive to shopping then to walk on hot summer days. Evenings were a big cooler. Some downsides are parking. You must get a parking permit to hang in the car dashboard. Occasionally there is parking on the parking lot but they advise you to park the car across the street at the gas station. Lock your doors please. Resort offered free laundry service, but expect a good hour from wash to dry clothes, they do provide soap at a minimal .75cents or would charge it to the room. Best to buy your own at the shopping store nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Amy A
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Time share owners since 1986...We did a last minute exchange to this place and have nothing but good things to say about it. Edweig checked us in on July 27, 2013 for the week. He was polite, very helpful and always smiling. He even remembered my name four days after check-in...amazing! When we could not open the safe one morning, I called the front desk and they responded within minutes. We were in building #2 (#2509) on the fifth floor overlooking the gardens, pool and beautiful blue ocean. We awoke to this lovely view every morning. The place was immaculate, up to date and perfect. Another complimentary plus was that garbage was picked up in your villa every morning and midweek housekeeping came and swept and mopped the floors and dusted.The Golden Club had comfy couches, complimentary coffee, many shelves of magazines and books, an exercise room and computer room. There is an Italian restaurant and Tiki bar on the grounds, as well as many restaurants nearby. Publix supermarket is within walking distance and a casino four miles away. It was nice to have cushioned lounges and sun umbrellas set up for use on the beach (part of your $10 per day fee). Ping pong, shuffle board and volleyball was available for use...contact desk. Many French Canadians and South Americans frequent this place, so it is not all RCI timeshare. A long time ago Grace Kelly, Jackie Gleason and Babe Ruth stayed in the villas when they were larger. We thoroughly enjoyed out stay here and would like to return. We have exchanged many times to Europe, Hawaii, as well as many places in the U.S. so we are well aware of what to expect. The only negative I found was that parking is a problem, but don't let that keep you from staying here.

Room Tip: Building #2. floors 5 and 6 offer best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dolores A
Bertrand S, General Manager at Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you for your nice comments, they have been shared with our staff. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you again soon!
Best regards!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I don't even know where to start with this place but if you are looking for a relaxing, enjoyable vacation DO NOT STAY HERE.

Lets start with the customer service and arrival. Being part of the time share we checked in on a Saturday. We took a red eye out the night before and arrived at the hotel around 11:30am. I had called the week prior to let the staff know we would be arriving early to see if they could accommodate us with early checkin. The representative said she would leave a note and they could try to arrange something before checkin at 4 but nothing was promised, understandable (upon our arrival that note had disappeared of course.) After getting to the resort and learning our room was not available, we went to the grocery store and returned around 1. They had told us our room should be ready in about 20 minutes. THREE hours later, our room was still being "cleaned." Last time I checked it does not take 6 hours to clean a one bedroom condo, when the guests staying there earlier checked out at 10. Because the staff was being extremely rude and anything but accommodating, I asked to speak to the manager, thinking I would get some sort of decent customer service. But no, the manager was one of the worst employees I've ever dealt with in my life. She was rude, catty, and had the worst attitude. She explained how she had no control over the housekeeping and didn't know what was going on. If you call yourself a head manager you better know what's going on with your hotel. The women (staff) then proceeded to talk in Spanish, obviously unaware that two people in our group speak Spanish. She overheard the maid on the Walky talky say the room was ready, but somehow we waited another 40 min to get out room keys. Like I told the manager, I understand checking is at 4 but they could have at least tried to accommodate us a little better. Okay, enough about the checkin.

The room: as I stated we had a one bedroom, one bathroom that accomated four people. The room was filthy, which made it hard to believe they had been cleaning it for several hours. The bathroom was old and the shower, oh my...lets just say you wouldn't want to drop your soap on the floor. There was little bugs in the kitchen and we had to rewash all of the dishes from the cabinets because there was left over food on them. Myself plus the three other guests had 5+ bug bites that we would wake up with, obviously from the beds. In order to get our sheets changed we had to go down to housekeeping to exchange sheets and make our own beds. Same went for towels. Not to mention housekeeping closes before SIX! We stayed for a week and someone finally came the day before we left to mop and sweep our floors after we had asked them to come several times but instead they handed us a tiny broom to do it ourselves.

The daily fee we paid for: supposedly the daily fee includes wifi and chairs by the pool/beach. But that's funny because the wifi didn't work AT ALL and we had no service our whole vacation until we left the hotel. We also paid for cushions for the lawn chairs and umbrellas by the pool. When we went to ask for cushions for our chairs the gentlemen was completely rude and acted like we were totally putting him out of his way while he was eating when he was supposed to be working. Then they came around and picked everything up at 4:30 in the afternoon!!!!! One day we went down at 3:30 and he wouldn't give us cushions because it was "too late." Talk about LAZY. We also called down to get a cab several times but of course no one would answer so we had to hail them off the street ourselves.

The remainder of our stay was a constant hassle and did not improve. Do not make arrangements to stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013
10  Thank Marissamp

Dear Ms. Abblitt,
I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay at the Golden Strand Resort. I feel that there might have been a few misunderstandings and would like to take this opportunity to explain how timeshares work. We have large units fully equipped (yours was a one bedroom) which take a long time for housekeepers to clean. All our guests check out and check in on Saturdays which means we have to clean around 120 to 140 units in 6 hours, we also have room moves where guests who stay more than one week move to a different unit for the second week etc... all of this makes it very hard for us to have the rooms ready before 4:00pm. Guests who arrive early are welcomed to enjoy the pool and beach while they wait for their unit to be ready. We provide pagers and we are happy to store luggages while the units are being cleaned. I know our Front Office Manager tried to get your room ready before 4:00pm but Housekeeping just could not make it happen. I am sorry about this. Our Front Office Manager told me that your parents (whom she was in constant communication over the phone) felt we did that on purpose because of your young age but I can assure you that it was not the case. Timeshares are like a home away from home, they might not offer daily cleaning like hotels but everything is provided so that guests can feel comfortable. We have much to offer here at the Golden Strand Resort: the best location of any timeshare in Miami right on the most beautiful beach of South Florida, units that are fully equipped, wi fi in every unit and in the common areas, a great restaurant, a gym, a spa, a friendly staff that will attend to your needs etc... Please do not let one little disappointment at check in ruin your stay! Best regards!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We checked in on a Saturday and was told there were extra charges for extra keys and wrist bands. The wrist bands were made with latex which I am allergic so I had to be extra careful all week.
The room was clean enough but there was one queen bed and two twin beds and an uncomfortable couch. The third bathroom was tiny and the stove took at least 20 minutes to heat up.

As for staff.. housekeeping was rude when we went to exchange towels and there was a language barrier. We spoke to the supervisor and there was a language barrier but she gave us enough towels for everyone in room while another employee complained in front of us.

Maintenance man was friendly enough when we called him to fix a toilet and the front desk responded quickly to our complaint. That was the friendliest person at front desk.

They only gave us two parking passes and there were not enough handicapped places.

Unlike most resorts there were no activities and it was work to get staff to accommodate you. If that makes sense.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We were upgraded a week before our arrival. It is an older property but interior was remodeled with modern conveniences all working well; lots of electrical outlets. Bathroom is rather tiny and it only has one switch for both the light and the fan; it doesn't have a window. Our unit was clean although I wish there was a dustpan and dust broom because it will only be swept once mid-week. I don't mind cleaning myself.

No wi-fi in 5402, so I brought my laptop down to the lobby,. Friendly and helpful attendant told me he had the same laptop model. He was able to connect to the lobby signal and showed me how to "add" a Network Name. Back in the unit, I was able to connect to a nearby network (5403) because 5402 didn't even show up as available. Since it worked I was happy to return to the lobby to tip him $10 bucks for his efforts. But, it only worked for 1 day. Yesterday, my computer read, "Signal Strength: Excellent" but "Status: Not connected." When I asked the operator if other units were having the same problem, she answered, "No, not t that I'm aware of." A technician finally arrived after I waited 40 minutes and a second distressed phone call. No success, "Sorry." That's all!!! Now what? Any advice? Should I ask for compensation? At this very moment, I am writing this review from another location.

Room Tip: Ensure you have wi-fi before you unpack and insist on getting it for the entire time of your stay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LLJSSanFran
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Checked in on Saturday night and wasted 2 hours on the phone with ITG; the company that provides internet access. Issue was NOT resolved. The technician promised to escalate the issue.

Worked another hour with ITG on Sunday morning and discovered that all the wi-fi routers in this part of the complex work but NONE OF THEM CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. I was told no one would address the issue until Monday. Front desk employee just apologize but do NOTHING.

Lots of bugs in the room.

Killed a gecko in my room. Killed a cockroach of the same size in my bathroom. Not going to tell my wife about the cockroach until after we check out. She is already freaked out about the gecko.

Resort charges $10 per day "resort fee" for services which include in-room wi-fi. I do NOT expect them to refund or waive any of the fee even though I have been here for 5 days without wi-fi. I also do not expect the wi-fi to work the next two days.

Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Trump International Beach Resort
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!