“Reception staff need a crash course in customer service”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
London, England, United Kingdom
“Reception staff need a crash course in customer service”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I was recommended to this hotel via my tour operator as it is on their preferred supplier list and the road trip i was doing from Miami to New York departed here.I arrived in Miami many thanks to British Airways minus my luggage and had nothing.No epipen,glasses,spare contact lenses,toiletries or clothing.

After spending hours at Miami Airport and realising i was getting no sight of my luggage that day i decided to head to the hotel.

Upon arrival it would have been quite obvious when i told the receptionist from my expression that i was in a stressed state.I checked in at 9pm and my road trip departed at 7.30am the following morning.I asked the receptionist could i use a phone charger and was told bluntly no we do not have one,i then asked could i have the number of the tour operator who uses their hotels for meeting and has people like myself staying their.i was then told "no we have nothing"

After trying and failing to contact my tour operator i asked if i could use the computer in reception to email them and was then told " we do not have one as it causes too many arguments with people staying here ??"

The overall lack of help and communication was appalling and whilst the hotel was not at fault for my bags going missing they showed no empathy or offered anything to help at all.

Enough was enough and i went to my room and could not sleep as the air conditioning resembled a pneumatic drill ! The hotel is old looking and dated and i could not wait to get out the next day.
I would never stay here again and hope the staff can show some compassion if a similar situation arose for someone else in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Spencer C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Just returned and had a great time. The location for us was perfect - great Beach and pool. We travelled independently and only wanted a hotel as a base, we don't spend too much time in the room, just for sleeping\showering.
We had an ocean front room (i'm missing the view already!) with a small kitchenette, only really used this for the fridge & making tea/coffee, used cooker once for pizza & it came out smoking!
Like others have said the hotel is 'tired and worn' as long as you know this then you'll know what to expect. I went expecting the worse but was pleasantly surprised and didn't see one bug. Our room was kept clean, we had an aircon unit on the side I'm not sure if all rooms have this it was quite noisy but kept the room lovely and cool & you got use to it after a couple of nights, or take earplugs!
We had free parking across the road and had to pay for sun beds & tikis but for what we paid for the hotel in comparison to others in the area we didn't mind paying the small fee.
We had breakfast & lunch once in the restraunt & was ok nothing special. We prefered to eat out though, plenty of places to eat in the area and we had a car. Staff were always pleasant to us and the maids always had a "good morning" to say when passing.
The weekends get very busy with 'locals' but weekdays are quieter.
If you just want a hotel for sleeping and can get a good enough deal I'd say give it a go. If you're looking for luxury and spend a lot of time in the room/hotel I'd give it a miss. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank zand2yk
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We've stayed in this hotel most of our trips to Miami. However this was the last time.
The first room we were given had a gigantic bug on the curtains. Looked like a cockroach, but the frontdesk swore it was "only a waterbug" or something.

Either way, we were given another room, facing the pool. In this room the controls for the central airconditioning were busted. We managed a night there, but we were kept awake by the poolside music that continued on until at least 23.00 (last time I checked the clock).

After complaining about both the airconditioning and the music we were given a third room, this one facing the ocean. Luckily this one had a windowmounted airconditioning unit in addition to the central one.

Truthfully, the last 2 nights were pretty good in this room.
However, I doubt we will stay here again.

It's a pity, with a little work they could make a nice hotel out of this again, but as it is, it feels like it's falling apart. The poolmusic is unacceptable and the busted cooling even more so.

Location as always was excellent, just a few minutes from Aventura Mall.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a poolside room, and try to get one with a windowmounted airconditioning...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NielsB
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a great place to stay on this area. It isn't a new building, but it's well maintained. Looks good and well kept.
Beachside with option to use the chairs.
North Miami Beach with option to use the parking lot.
Wi-Fi you can use.
All covered by the resort fee of 10USD. (when I was there)
And the room rates are on par with other options around.
Great place. Will be my first option when I get back to Miami.

Room Tip: There are music on the "pool bar" till late hours. If thats a problem ask for rooms on the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LNRawz
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel on March 08/13 prior to taking a cruise from Miami. We got a really great price on Hotwire but after reading some negative reviews we were quite worried. When we arrived we were greeted at the door knew right then we would be in good hands.The hotel is located on one of the best beaches in Miami /Sunny Isles. Our room was clean and well appointed. The restaurant and bar were great with fresh foods (best chicken wings I have had in years) and the live bands were amazing.My wife and I traveled with our 12 year old daughter. We really have nothing negative to say about this property or our experience.Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lovecuba208_10
Leeds
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I think everyone has mentioned this hotel and its pros and cons. I can echo all the pros, the only cons are its showing its age, but then a major revamp would be very expensive and Im sure the site would be bought by someone else rather than this. Nice pool, amazing location straight onto the beach. The balcony overlooking the pool made a great stage to watch the storm. It was fun wading through ankle deep water to my car in the car park the following morning after the storm

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stevo25
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

First we have to say...the price was right for being right on the beach....but.... don't expect much of a smile from the staff! We never felt like they wanted us there. The reason it seems so noisy is that all the floors are tile and it echos while rolling luggage down the halls. It kind of looks like a hospital.
If you bring a car...you have to pay $12 per day to park it and it's valet only! There is also a "resort fee" on top of your rate...so be sure to figure that in.
We had breakfast at the cafe on site...it was ok. The grounds were clean and the location was great. The rooms were clean but nothing to write home about. If you're looking for plush....you might want to try something else.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Deauville Beach Resort
#166 of 207 in Miami Beach
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!