“Very Average”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night with a friend before heading down to South Beach. For the price, the hotel was quite alright. The rooms and common areas were very dated, a tad musky, but clean. I was on the first floor on the northern most rooms. It had parking right outside the window, with people walking past quite frequently. The pool area was quite nice with a hot tub, and the rooms that look out onto this are the ones to go for. The location is great if you are just after a sunny isles beach hotel. It has quite a few places to eat across the road, as well as a supermarket, and the beach is literally just off the pool area. But be aware that it is about a 30-40 min bus ride to miami beach. Now the staff. The people at the front desk were quite pleasant and helpful, but almost every other staff member I encountered were just plain rude. Mainly an elderly man at the pool rental shack. Now a beach towel rental is included in the price. I decided to go for a swim before checkout and politely asked for a towel from a man sitting there. He asked for my room number, but before I could actually reply, another man stormed over saying that I was not allowed to have a towel because I was checking out that day, and actually made me feel stupid for asking. He ended up giving me and my friend a towel to share, but told us not to steal them and bring it back (I think you would have to pay me to take the 10 year old towel home.) Due to him, and attitude from other staff members, I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom B
There are newer reviews for Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort

Reviewed 2 September 2013

A real dated property, smells musty, run by ancient staff, mostly retired New Yorkers and Canadians. American guests can be trashy, smoke and loud. Cleaners all nice from Haiti.
Once you accept the age and condition, the pool and beach are great, the kitchen handy with a fridge and coffee maker. Watch for the $10 a day parking and $11 daily room rate for wifi, towels, pool chairs etc, naughty ! A budget hotel if a few sharing a room. Nice to see these originals still exist, dwarfed by gross high rise modern apartments.

Room Tip: the rooms down the right hand side are far better
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank reinga123
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for 9 days. Both my parents, my husbands' parents and a sibling came along, and since we were 7 in total, we thought to give this hotel a shot for the excellent location and price. We like to enjoy the pool and the beach and would use the rooms just to sleep and take showers. I knew that this hotel was old and was not expecting anything fancy. However, this hotel was a complete mess. We would all leave the rooms early in the morning, and come back at around 4pm to take a shower and get ready for dinner. At 4pm, our rooms would still not be cleaned nor there would be clean towels available! at 4pm!!!! Whenever they did "clean" the room, the floors would be left uncleaned. You can just imagine how the bathroom and kitchen floor looked like. The beds were impossible to sleep on. The mattresses are old and have springs. The springs push back against your body and don't provide proper support. There is no way one can sleep well on them. In addition, the stoves were not working. When we mentioned it to the front desk they said that they would be fixing all the stoves the next day. We stayed there for 9 days and the stoves were still not working on our 9th day. Lastly, as if this is not enough, one night as we were all leaving to go to dinner, we took the elevator and the elevator stopped halfway between one floor and another-- with all of us inside! Because there were many of us inside, we started feeling as if there was not enough air to breathe. My mom and my husband's mom began to panic and I did not know what to do. As they were trying to get us out, the man outside yelled that there shouldn't be that many people in the elevator and that he couldn't get us out.( even though there is a sign in the elevator saying that the maximum capacity is 2000 lbs) I had to call 911. This was the worst experience ever. We were trapped for about 15 minutes.
As the days went on, we did not take the elevator again, but saw many other people get trapped as they adventured (unknowingly) into taking the elevator. I will NOT and would NOT recommend staying at this hotel. They are only interested in making money. They are not worried about maintaining the hotel or their guest's comfort. Yes, the price is tempting, but the headache you will have while at this hotel is not worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank LOVE_TRAVELING000
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel is definitely a relic from the past that has not been kept-up well. The staff is very unfriendly and it can be hard to find someone that speaks english. The location of the hotel is nice. Parking is a mess. However, I only stayed for 1 night and I was with a friend so we simply wanted a place to sleep and something on the beach for cheap. This hotel gave that to us. Finally, do not use the stove in the room. Ours filled the room with gas and we had to wait outside for an hour so the room could air-out. When we mentioned it to staff, they told us "Carlos" would be there the following day to fix it. We were happy to make it through the night without blowing up :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank KPrich
Reviewed 14 August 2013

So, I wasn't expecting anything fancy from this hotel. No one goes to the beach to sit in their room, so I really had low expectations. However, this place was a mess. The staff was AWFUL. I hated to ask a question, they were so rude. The one exception to this was Nelson, he was a gem. The staff at the little cafe was also pleasant and the food there is very reasonable.

This is hard to believe but they are doing construction on the building and WE WOKE UP AT 8AM ON SUNDAY MORNING TO THEM USING A JACK HAMMER ON THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING. Unbelievable, yet true. The lobby has a funky smell and the hot tub smelled awful...they actually refilled it while we were there and still closed it due to the smell. The room was not clean, there was a tub but it only functioned as a shower? The patio furniture was mismatched (one metal chair, one plastic). The bathroom door did not close all the way and even the patio door stayed cracked when it was closed. The hotel itself is also very loud.

The pool is nice, the beach is gorgeous. The tiki umbrellas are super nice, but the guy who rents them was very curt and woke me up 30 mins before 5, saying "WAKE UP! We close at 5, I need your chair. And what are you going to do with those towels? We need them by 5."

The location is great, the beach is beautiful, there's a Publix and a CVS across the street, along with a great restaurant called Preservation, which we went to several times - it was delicious.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SaraBMaryland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We booked this for a week - driving up to it was bad enough. After walking into the lobby, I knew it was a dump. It got worse after we got to our room - which wasn't right. We were supposed to have the beach front with a balcony and a king bed - they didn't have any available. So, we had to settle for a beach front with 2 double beds - not good for my husband and I. The entire hotel smells, LOTS of bugs, REALLY OLD. I wouldn't let my husband put our suitcases on the floor - I wouldn't walk on the floor - I pulled back the sheets on the beds to see if there was anything 'crawling'. IT WAS AWFUL.

We went out to dinner - and as soon as we got back - I booked another hotel for us for the rest of our trip. I should have known better when I talked to the hotel Manager before going to Florida. He told me that you get what you get for a budget place to stay.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL -

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denise S
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The place is unusual, small and old hotel in a middle of luxuries building, the beaches are good and the pool area is nice, the location is good, in front of Publix store.
The people who work at the hotel have bad attitude and they do not have motivation, at the front desk and mainly in beach area. Employees in aged to be retired, they leave the service at 5pm. and you lose the possibility to use towels and chairs, 5pm. on summer, it's incredible!
The room cleaning was never did before 3pm.!
My room did not have kitchen, it was disappointed for me. There are noises all the night from aisle and other rooms, I think from people who work at the hotel.
The price is low but you have to pay parking and resort fee and do not include umbrellas, you have to pay u$5 more.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!