“Cheap and Cheerful”

Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 30 June 2014

As long as you do not go expecting an amazing 3/4 Star hotel (By UK standards) then you should be fine. I think previous reviews are very harsh.

We booked through Virgin and it was by a good chunk the cheapest place in Miami, you can see why its cheap but in our opinion was one of the reasons why we enjoyed our holiday so much.

Basically we just wanted a room by a beach with all the basics i.e clean and air con. We got everything we wanted a clean but extremely dated hotel right on the beach front. Its a shame most hotels in the area are turning into skyscrapers because this had the idea set up, 3 floors surrounding a pool with the beach in the background.

The bits you want to know; If you book a room you definitely need to upgrade to either a pool or ocean view otherwise you will be looking over a car park and building site.

If you have not booked through Virgin you will be charged per day to use basic amenities i.e sun beds by the pool, wifi and most importantly parking .
Luckily we booked with Virgin where we got free self parking, otherwise its $10 a valet parking then a charge for Wifi, sunbeds etc. Which sure adds up to the holiday budget!

The spa that consisted of what looked like a Jacuzzi was shut for the two weeks we were there.
Where as the pool was extremely clean and the beach was incredible.

If you have booked through Virgin you have the extra bonus of a Virgin On-site Concierge Margaret who was brilliant. Where as the hotels answer to customers service was awful and I am pretty sure didn't even want to talk to us.

Over all we loved the fact it was a classic style Motel right on the beach 10 steps away from our rooms door but is let down by the fact everything is aged and tired. I am sure it will be swallowed up by a big company and turned into a high rise. Which is a shame because all it needs in a proper renovation.

Room Tip: Pool side or Ocean view is a must.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beemer51
There are newer reviews for Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I know this place is probably on the verge of being torn down but they could at least make sure the air is working in all of the rooms. We stayed two nights and mentioned to the front desk numerous times about the air not working properly in our room. A guy showed up once and checked to see if the air vent was open then said he would be right back and never showed up again. The gal at the front desk wasn't very friendly either. The second day we were there we wanted to get ice for the cooler and none of the ice machines were working at all....pretty crazy! Oh and none of the vending machines were working either. The water pressure in the shower was really bad...I had to rinse my hair from the faucet in the tub. It's really a shame too because these old hotels are hard to come by and with a little TLC it could really be great!!

Room Tip: Make sure the air is working
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank pmcraig67
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

If you're looking on staying steps away from the beach, blue ocean view, balconies rooms and clean beach for low price than this place is for you. I have stayed a few times and I been happy each time. Also its in a safe area, 20 minutes from downtown Miami, 15 minutes from south beach, 20 minutes from Hollywood beach. There is grocery store incase you wanna cook in your mini kitchen in your room and many more other shopping places and restaurants. The staff are friendly. The only complaint the parking sucks and its about $12 a day in which is cheaper compared to other Miami hotels and I think the place needs some sort of entertainments. But overall my girlfriend and I have enjoyed our times here compared to other places we have stayed in Miami.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I booked one night (6/20 - 6/21, 2014) at this hotel. I stayed here many years ago as a 14 year old and had such fond memories of this property. A lot has changed in 40 years. The hotel is in need of a complete renovation. The pool and spa were filthy, restaurant is also run down. The gentleman who was working the front desk was impolite and unhelpful. After surveying the grounds before checking in, I decided to cancel my reservation and head for a Sheraton. (It was about the same price.) I know this property is on the beach, but the overall filth of the outside grounds was enough to convince me to move on. I didn't even care if they charged me.

It's a shame to see the decline of what used to be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ralph M
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Smart hotel. Great beach location for Miami attractions. Close to the Sun life stadium as I was there to watch a match. Nice Hollywood style diner. Friendly staff. Although a taxi costs $50 to Bayside and downtown for Miami Heat and South Beach. Apparently there is a bus that costs a couple of dollars.

Room Tip: Obviously there are ocean front rooms with Ac but these cost a bit more.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Disappointment and surprised with the lousy breakfast no option, and the moodiness of one of the attendants, and also with the cleanliness of the rooms.
But overall, offsetting these negatives.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having read many bad review, I've been left wondering why!! A wonderful place, great location and extremely helpful and friendly staff :)

185 street is out the way but with bus stop right outside the hotel and a cost of $2.25 its a doddle to get anywhere along Collins Ave.

The guy at the desk Lionel was so friendly & helpful, anything we needed to know he was the man and would help in any organising any day trips we had planned.

The staff in the restaurant could not have done enough to make us feel welcome, very polite and the food was excellent..

As for the location our room was 20 yards from the beach, with glorious sunshine cold beers what more could you ask for..

We without doubt will be staying here again..

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!