“One of the best.”

Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
Monkton, MD
“One of the best.”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

After a maddening amount of research, I decided that my first Miami experience was going to be at Acqualina.

Definitely made the right choice.

I'm extremely picky, so I know it's unrealistic for me to look for perfection in any hotel. Acqualina, however, was just about as close to perfect as it gets. I should clarify that we a LHW members, and I believe that our membership greatly enhanced our stay, but this place shines regardless and I'm confident that non-LHW members will be just as pleased.

We were upgraded from our simple room to a one-bedroom suite as they had one available (courtesy of LHW; another LHW "perk" was the welcome gift - a small spa credit and a gift from the spa). I was completely blown away. The view was to DIE for, the balcony was a nice size, and the room was incredible spacious. Lovely decor, complete, gorgeous kitchen with modern amenities, separate study... wonderful bathroom.

Shortly after arrival I received a hand-written card and some delicious cake (pickiest cake person in the world, here) as, when booking, the hotel had found out that I was there to celebrate my college graduation and birthday.

Service here is outstanding. The valet was speedy, the concierge was friendly and helpful, and the spa staff were fantastic. My pedi wasn't overly luxurious but they did a wonderful job. The spa itself was great - a tad bit smaller than I anticipated, but very relaxing. The bar was really great and the breakfast was good. The pools are all very nice and relaxing.

My favorite thing about this place is the location. Right on a GORGEOUS stretch of the beach, the water here is perfect - and you're far enough away from downtown Miami to avoid the skeeziness of a packed beach if and when you want to. There were always enough chairs and the beach attendants were always ready to help. Another favorite here is the Costa Grill. We had dinner and martinis on the beach as the sun was setting - the food was delicious, the drinks were PERFECT, the waiter was outstanding, and it made for my favorite night among what ended up being a 10-day trip throughout Florida.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every cent.

Room Tip: Go for a beach view. Totally worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank thacheshirecat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Saddle River, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Our second stay at this gorgeous resort, it could not be more elegant and warm, intimate but professional, quiet but close to everything (we dined in SoBe twice). Lots for kids to do, on property or off. We have two boys, 8 and 3.
Sorry to relay this story, but to give an idea of their attitude: Our little one got sick during our stay, in the middle of the night, and the staff COULD NOT have been more caring, helpful or reliable. Pedialite at 2am? No problem. Steam the rugs, laundry everything? Right away. Our room was sterilized (I'm a germaphobe) and I mean STERILIZED almost immediately. (I always knew the place was clean, but I've seen them in action, they don't mess around.) For days after, almost everyone I encountered asked how our son was feeling (he was fine the next day). For a relatively young staff, they are VERY well trained and extremely professional, but very personal and kind. They know your name and what you like.
The resort is stunning, but not overwhelming. It is always meticulously groomed, lush and beautiful. I'm a cold-wuss but the family pool (zero entry!) is perfectly heated. Spa services are great. Il Mulino (in the hotel) is wonderful from start to finish. Two other eateries on property are also terrific choices. The rooms are immaculate, tastefully decorated, spacious and very comfortable. You don't feel like you're in a hotel, but in your own apartment. I could easily live in the place, and we live in a large home. Perhaps that's why, when we're packing up to leave, I wake from my dream-like state and go to the airport kicking and screaming.

Room Tip: We always get the 2BR: FULL kitchen, and I mean a real kitchen. We've stayed on the 17th and th...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jgio6
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Just returned from a 4-day stay at Acqualina and in general, we were more than satisfied. I cannot say enough about the exceptional staff. They met every request with a smile and often anticipated our needs before we did. Loved the spa - our treatments were excellent. The poor wifi connection was really disappointing, although it did force us to disconnect more than we might have ;) The construction noise was annoying, especially when sitting out on the balcony of our oceanfront room. And it went on every day including Saturday and Sunday. But eventually the construction will end, they'll fix the wifi, and we will return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OutofOH
tampa
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Summary: Our family (30 something parents and 4 kids aged 4 - 11) stayed at the resort because Acqualina has been showing up on lists of best family resorts. It was an alternative to the Fontainebleau, which several friends have had mediocre experiences at recently. I am glad we tried out the resort; however, it was not sufficiently spectacular to consider a different location on our next trip to Miami. That doesn't mean we won't be back...just that we will consider other properties too. BTW, you might want to avoid this property until the construction next door is complete.

+++++

Staff - Excellent and they are everywhere. The training of the staff is probably the high point of the hotel.

Food Quality - Very good, especially the morning buffet.

Property - Tightly landlocked. Obviously, this resort sits on some of the most expensive property in the United States. It is 4.5 acres, so don't expect this to be a sprawling resort like Atlantis or The Breakers.

Location - Not bad. North of Bal Harbour and about 10 miles from South Beach. We were able to get to dinners in Coconut Grove and South Beach w/o issue.

Pretentiousness - Not bad. As you pull in the drive, you will probably notice ~10 Rolls-Royces and half dozen exotic sports cars parked out front. It sends a strong message, but I think that pretentiousness is left at the front door.

Kid's Club - Nice, but perhaps mildly oversold. I wouldn't suggest it for children 10 or over.

Ocean Access - Great

Pools - There are 3 of them. All are heated. One of them is adults only. The other two are fairly standard, with one being about 3x larger than the other. It's unfortunate that they didn't just combine the two pools into one grand pool b/c the current pools get boring for kids very fast. Also, they are building the Acqualina mansions next door, and the construction noise is pretty loud at the pools....even on Saturdays!

Room Finishing - On par with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons

Wireless Internet - Disappointingly weak and intermittent

Pillows - Better than average

Mattresses - Too firm for my taste and actually gave me and my wife sore backs.

Room Tip: Book your cabana early and be sure to specify which pool you prefer.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank luxurytraveler2012
Philadelphia, Pa
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Multiple Visits At this point. Excellent accommodations and service that is consistent 24/7/365. Consistency is absolutely remarkable ! Same staff year in and year out .... Turn over must be close to nil ! Everyone is on the absolute top of their game.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank tam23
Westchester, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels in Miami. It makes for a very easy family vacation. Pool and beach has a terrific ambiance. You feel like you are in a posh villa in Italy. Hotel staff is super accommodating. They even offer a kids club which all my kids thoroughly enjoyed!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Ronnit1973
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We loved the resort. Stayed in a very large and beautiful oceanfront suite. Spent a day at the spa. It was fabulous. I had the most wonderful massage ever, from the sweetest woman. My friends enjoyed their facials and massages too. Overall, we had a very nice time. Only complaints I have are the sheets could be softer (aka: higher thread count, although I know I'm spoiled but at this rate, give your guests nicer sheets, please ;), the bar needs to stay open longer.... no night life there after 11pm, from what we saw. That's like a teenagers curfew, lol. So glad we went out in South beach otherwise we would have been really bored at night. The last con was a little mold in the shower and our balcony was nice in size but dipped down towards the rail which made all of us feel a little sick to stay out there too long. The ambiance, food, service from majority of the staff was all superb. I would go back... just might request different sheets/balcony.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay without an ocean front room, it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Hotel South Beach
#8 of 208 in Miami Beach
Faena Hotel Miami Beach
#7 of 208 in Miami Beach

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!