“Awesome”

Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2008

There is so much to say about this Florida gem--great views, amazing spa, wonderful service, awesome beach, tasteful rooms...and to top it off, once I discovered that I had left a gold necklace in one of the robes in the room, they overnighted it to my house at no charge! My husband and I loved it and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BunnyFruFru
There are newer reviews for Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach

Reviewed 27 May 2008

My family and I just returned after spending six nights at the Acqualina Hotel in Sunny Isles. I have to tell you, this was an experience that I will not forget!.

The property lies on a picture-perfect part of North Miami beach. It boasts three pools (one adults-only), a pool bar and grill (Costa Grill) which serves absolutely every drink imaginable and probably the best burger in town. The pool areas are kept absolutely spotless and staff (unoticeably for guests) work aroud the clock to keep it that way.

The Hotel's main restaurant is probably among the the best Italian restaurants in Miami. Il Mulino New York serves outstanding Italian dishes at great prices considering the portions and quality of the food. This restaurant is an institution in New York and soon to be in Sunny Isles as well.

We stayed in a one-bedroom oceanfront suite (with a den) that was perfect for our 1-year old son; the den was fitted with a crib and became his bedroom. The suite was large (1400 square feet+), beautifully decorated with a very functional kitchen, huge living area, dining room, master bedroom and en-suite bathroom. There is a powder room as well. The view from the 230 square foot balcony was breathtaking, day and night.

The staff at Acqualina was outstanding, catering to my son's needs and my wife's needs 24/7. From the staff on the beach, to the in-room dining, the housekeeping and the doorman, the hotel car driver to the front desk personel, service was world-class.

The ESPA is a 20,000 square-foot haven if you are looking for relaxation and serenity. Both my wife and I were blown away by the concept, the staff and the feeling of being completely retreated from the hustle and bustle of the Miami area.

Outside the Hotel, you will find pharmacies, grocery stores and even a Whole Foods about five minutes away by car. You are also five-minutes away from Bal Harbour Shops, great shopping plaza where you will find all the top designer stores you can imagine.

I travel all over the world for business and have a rare opportunity to try new resorts from the Boston to Budapest to Bahrain. Out of all the hotels I have stayed at, even the most luxurious resorts in Dubai and the Carribean, this property sets itself into a class of its own. All this, in a small up and coming town called Sunny Isles, Florida. Amazing!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank worldflight
Reviewed 29 February 2008

This hotel takes the cake by far. From the moment you pull up their customer service is beyond exceptional. The Concierge is awesome to say the least. The rooms are just totaly amazing. Spacious, beautifully designed, spotless clean and up to date amenities is putting it lightly. The Espa is an experience you will not get anywhere else. They even have their own exclusive outdoor pool & Hot Jacuzzi waterfall for spa customers only and thats besides the other 3 pools the hotel offers. Beautiful landscaping and architecture of the entire grounds. It may seem a little expensive but its worth every dollar. It's even worth it to save up if you have to, in order just to come here. I've stayed in all the "big name" hotels in Miami from Key Biscayne all the way to South Beach to Bal Harbor, this is the ultimate hotel experience you can want. I highly recommend it to anybody and I'm a pretty big hotel critic myself.
Avi- Brooklyn N.Y.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tobnere
Reviewed 4 February 2008

I stayed here on business for 5 days in January. My client booked the room which turned out to be an oceanfront suite. It was large, about twice the size of my first apartment. A huge bathroom with a double shower and jacuzzi tub and marble everywhere, was just off the bedroom which had perhaps the most comfortable bed I have ever had in a hotel and a wall mounted hd tv. The sitting area area had a comfortable sofa and several easy chairs and flat panel hd tv. A very workable desk area where you could connect your computer to the hardwired high-speed internet, or use the spotty WIFI. I had to keep calling to get ice delivered, even though they said fresh ice was delivered twice daily. There are no ice machines on the floors. As was expected, room service was very expensive, but this is an expensive hotel. My complaints are very minor, this is a wonderful hotel. If I was going to the beach would I stay here? Probably not. My idea of a beach vacation would be a lot quieter and secluded location. I had a very nice dinner in the hotel restaurant, and the tab was $95.oo with tip. Oh yes and I ate alone.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank hbladman
Reviewed 18 January 2008

We had high expectations for our first trip with our one year old child. Unfortunately things went badly right from the start. The requested car seat was not provided for the sedan that picked us up and our first meal (after being informed that the first two items we had ordered, a Nicoise salad and Macaroni & Cheese were not available) was a watery Chicken Cobb salad with RAW chicken. Things never got better and I could go on and on. We literally did not have one room seervice meal that was right! On the bright side, the resort and room were absolutely gorgeous. If we hadn't been as confined to the resort because of the baby, the service might not have been as big of an issue, however we left feeling that we had spent premium dollar for sub standard service. As a final note - we accidentally left a phone charger. Even though it was found, I have now made 4 phone calls and waited over two weeks and still do not have it.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
11  Thank igmahn
Reviewed 16 January 2008

I have been coming to the various hotels streching from south beach to Ft .Lauderdale over the span of many years, mostly because I wanted to escape the cold and be somewhat safe, and having the best chance of good weather as I believe the further south you go the greater the odds. Nevertheless, the quality of hotels and services they provided was always lacking, until now. I was so delighted to have found Acqualina.
It is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in yet alone here in Miami. It offers quiet ,clean rooms,beatiful grounds with three pools. One of my many gripes with the other hotels in the area was always the lack of pool lounges, if you decided to stroll down to the pool late you most likely did not get a seat. Not at Acqualina, either the pool or the beach a lounge was availabe, even during the Christmas week when it was sold out.
I have found what I was looking for as a quick winter geteway.
I have not experienced any of the staff issues mentioned by others.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank el09
Reviewed 2 January 2008

I must agree with the gentleman from Toronto regarding the Acqualina ... I did not realize that it was no longer a Rosewood and perhaps that was one source of the problems ... I also booked with AMEX Platinum and got the upgrade and the gifts/amenities ... and when adjustments needed to be made to my bill they were done gracefully and without question ... FANTASTIC. The initial greet at the hotel was great. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms were wonderful ... I can't say enough about how beautiful everything was.

However there are SERIOUS staffing issues. In breakfast each morning at Il Mulino the staff was more interested in chatting/arguing with eachother than serving -- and the entrance is poorly designed so that it is hard to enter and exit from the lobby as there always seem to be people in the 2.5' entry way. Joe and Sara that ran the bar treated my friend and I like crap repeatedly although we drank there each night and tipped well?? it was BIZARRE. Additionally, they had complete control over the music in the bar and the seated area around the bar and one of the times we were there we had to request that they turn it down and change the music -- i'm sorry, but they were BLARING Whitney Houston from The Bodyguard ... i'm not at the Holiday Inn for God's sake. Alternatively, the guys at the casual beachfront restaurant rocked the casbah and I had a wonderful Lobster and experience down there.

Now onto the ESPA. Awesome .. beautiful ... the estheticians and therapists were AMAZING. I had Dekendra and she was wonderful. However, yet again, the staff. We spent a whole day at the spa and were treated when we first arrived in the relaxation area to one of the locker room staff telling us that she had a cold, they didn't have the tea she liked at the spa and that she didn't think it was fair that she was having to work while she was sick but she was filling in for ...BLAH BLAH BLAH ... I think you get the drift. Why me?

In conclusion, I received a $90 bill after I got home for 'in room charges' ... one of them a bogus $65 bottle of Patron that was on the bill ... um, no. But, I did call and it was taken off without question. I didn't argue about the $25 for the diet coke and the evian ... I chose the place after all and knew what I was getting into. Go, the place is fantastic, but have an appreciation for the ridiculous or you will be fuming.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1 Hotel South Beach
#9 of 210 in Miami Beach
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!