“True Five Star Facility and Service”

Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My wife had recently stayed at one of the SoBe five stars and was really pushing to go back. I looked at every 4-5 star hotel from South Beach to Palm Beach and settled on this property. As soon as I walked into the lobby, I knew this was a great property, but when we got to our room (std room with 650 sq ft), with the balcony and full ocean front view, my wife completely forgot about the SoBe location. "no comparison", "not even close" were her words. This property is fairly new (3 years old) and immaculate. The service here was also outstanding. Great attitude, always a smile, helpful. we went as a couple, but they also looked like they had a pretty significant kids program. There were a lot of families staying here, as well as couples, but they only have 100 rooms here, so it looked to the kids were having fun, but it never got crazy.

If you're looking for a real five star property, on the beach, with a real five star room, five star treatment, and are not looking to be in the middle of the SoBe party. Go here, it's awesome.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach

Reviewed 4 June 2009

I love this hotel. My husband and I found a super cheap rate to Miami, and decided to take a much needed vaca to FL...but wanted a relaxing escape instead of the over the top South Beach Scene. This was a great experience. Resort felt very tropical...was almost like being in Caribbean. Room was very very nice. We went through an AMEX program so were upgraded to ocean view. Fantastic view, wonderful and spacious room design. Loved the full bottles of alcohol versus tiny beverage center size. We travel a ton, and tend to stay at 4 Seasons, Ritz, MO, etc. I felt this was among the most luxurious of all...and far more welcoming.

food was only OK...not bad but not worth the $$$

I highly recommend this hotel...but don't expect a value. Everything is expensive...everything.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATLHotelLuva
Reviewed 21 May 2009

As you can see from our previous reviews, we are used to being disappointed in our travels as we have VERY high standards, but we are not afraid to pay for them. The Acqualina was a wonderful example of what a beach hotel should be. It is clean, new, right on the beach, good service (not excellent but definitely good), good location.

We stayed in a 2 BR suite which was very nicely appointed and had a view of both the intracoastal and the ocean (kids loved watching the sunset each night). The rooms were extremely clean and large. The kitchen is a huge help when you're traveling with little kids (this is a real kitchen not a kitchenette). The only missing amenity was a washer and dryer but nothing is perfect!

The beach is very nice with a large pool (zero entry is great for kids). Staff is very helpful and pleasant but sometimes you have to follow-up on your requests (actually having the newspaper that is offered to you delivered to the room - three consecutive requests). The food is solid and other facilities nice. The only let-down is that the kids club is in a basement and the corridor is anything but welcoming!

You are approximately 25 min from South Beach for great food and entertainment and if you're with kids you can't leave without visiting wannado city!

I highly recommend this properrty!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Beyond impeccable! Everything there is meant to make you comfortable. We had one of the cheapest rooms, low floor, no view, yet it was one of the finest rooms I've ever stayed in! Service is perfect from the minute you pull over your car until you leave. Pricey, but this place is in a class of its own

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I stayed here as a "weekend getaway" with my husband on March 21. First I went to the spa. The spa had beautiful, clean facilities - steam room ,sauna, special showers, changing areas, relaxation rooms. However, it soon became clear that the overcharging of spa services paid for the large overhead. I had a $225 Balinese 90 minute massage. Honestly, worth every penny. Unlike any massage I have ever had. But, the facial, for $150 was vey disjointed and poorly given. There were a lot of stops between next steps and my face felt like Ralph Macchio in the Karate Kid - wax on the product and then wax off. Not very relaxing and my skin didn't look like I just had a facial. Lastly, I had a "time saver" manicire and pedicure for a combined $150. The room was beautiful, and it looked out over the ocean - you even laid down while your feet were soaking and manicure. You were also alone in the room - another bonus. But the treatment ended up being nothing more than a polish change - and for $150 it was not worth the money.

We then checked into our super clean, spacious room. We had a "Deluxe Intercoastal", which I picked over the "Intercoastal". if you really want a water view, spring for oceanfront. The extra $100 paid for the "Deluxe Intercoastal" failed to mention that you would be looking over gas stations and the strip before your intercoastal view. That particular upgrade was not worth it. The room itself was great, but no different than what you would find at most Four Seasons or Peninsula hotels. I think for $775 I was expecting a bit more - maybe a TV in the bathroom, a better bed? I don't know. In this economy, I couldn't really explain why this room was worth $775 + tax.

We also dined at Il Mulino New York. This exceeded my expectations. Although pricey, the service was outstanding and the true Italian food sublime. Definitely worth a return visit.

This hotel is definitely luxurious, and great service. However, I think their price points are exceeding what you actually get for the money - so I would say the value is not there. If value is of no importance, then this is the place for you. If you want to spend $775 on a room and not wonder why you are paying the $775 - the benefits are clearly visible - then I would not recommend this hotel. The choice is yours.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Thr grounds of this hotel are wonderful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We took several swims in the pool during the day and night time, both of which were great. One of the jacuzzis were broken....but luckily, there was another close by we ended up using. We used the fitness room, it was small, but got the job done.

This being our first time in florida, we were not familiar with the area at all. We did not know that miami beach was a ways away from this hotel. There were several resturants within walking distance of the hotel and also a grocery store.
We did end up getting good bus directions and schedules from the front desk to help us get to miami beach.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Acqualina is quite spectacular---the positives: overall resort is beautiful with great rooms, very clean, good service---an effort is made to be accommodating, good food, beautiful views of ocean, an adults only pool, great sushi bar. Il Mulino Restaurant within the hotel quite is good---
the negatives: an annoying key access elevator situation, the ESPA is only fair at best and not a good value, the resort is isolated in terms of walking to shopping and restaurants outside the resort, narrow beach

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Hotel South Beach
#9 of 210 in Miami Beach
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!