Other reviewers are showing this place a lot of love - and there is a lot that works, particularly the restaurants, the spa, and most of the staff. For the price, and the league these folks want to play in, they're not scoring 4s or 5s in my book yet. Here are a few things (most readily fixable) that could use some attention:
1. Ocean and pools: Mediocre service. Once we were set up in our lounges or chairs, staff never came by to see how we were doing or what we needed, and there was no easy system to get their attention. Contrast that with our recent stay at Four Seasons Las Vegas, where at poolside we were offered everything from cold water to Evian spritzes to a sunglasses cleaning to fruit ices and more, all graciously and without unnecessary interruption. There are three good-sized pools, but the "serenity pool" was largely abandoned by staff and had the same disco-era music blaring as at the other pools. If you're selling serenity, choose appropriate music! Oh, and the beachside cafe has a terrific setting, but the food is three notches below the indoor restaurants.
2. Rooms: Please do something about the slipperty marble floors in bathrooms and showers - tumbled marble would be much safer. And we had to give up a perfect room for a less-perfect one because of a gang of four cigar smokers on an adjacent balcony whose exhaust was blowing into our room. Also, some of the finishes are already showing wear (peeling molding in the elevators, e.g.).
3. Design and layout: On the whole, pretty good, but one significant flaw -- for whatever reason, the doors facing beachside have been designed so they are almost impossible to open against the wind -- and when you do open them, the wind rearranges a lot of the artwork on the walls. As a courtesy, I spent the first couple of days trying to set the frames straight, then I gave up.
4. Location: This is an area in transition from low-end motels to high-end high-rises. There's a huge empty lot next door on the south side(where Acqualina II will allegedly be built some day) and there are still some tatty motels as you walk along the beach (which is the only place you'll walk, because Collins Avenue at this point is not pedestrian-friendly). Time and development dollars will change some of this, but for now it cheapens what is otherwise a very expensive experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach is a place where the charm of a Mediterranean villa meets elegance on the beach and a recipient of the coveted Forbes Travel Guide Five Star Award, the AAA Five Diamond Award and the Andrew Harper’s Reader’s Choice Award for Top #1 Top Beach Resort, #1 Top Spa Resort and #1 Top Family Resort. A seaside luxury haven located on 4.5 beachfront acres in pristine Sunny Isles Beach, Acqualina Resort & Spa features 98 impeccably appointed guest rooms and suites and 188 residencies with breathtaking views of Atlantic Ocean. Step into a world of luxury at this Miami Beach Resort with unprecedented accommodations and service, world-class dining destinations, including Piazzetta Marketplace, AQ by Acqualina with menus provided by Il Mulino New York and a separate restaurant by the Il Mulino New York, three oceanfront swimming pools, spacious boardroom, a world class fitness center offering the latest Artis technology and an innovative marine biology-based children’s program. A variety of lavish interior and exterior venues provide an ideal background for opulent weddings and memorable events on the lush property grounds boasting 400 feet of stunning Atlantic coastline. Acqualina Spa by ESPA, the first ESPA-branded spa in the United States, provides guests with an exquisite 20,000-square-foot, two-story tranquil sanctuary of excellence and relaxation set in a class of its own offering 11 multi-functional treatment rooms and an extravagant private spa suite for two, along with the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful outdoor terrace complete with a spa pool, heated jet pool, and Roman waterfall – all set against the gorgeous backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Acqualina Resort And Spa On The Beach
- Acqualina Resort & Spa On The Beach Hotel Sunny Isles Beach
- Acqualina Hotel Sunny Isles Beach
- Acqualina Hotel On The Beach
- Acqualina Resort & Spa On The Beach Sunny Isles Beach, Florida