“Dirty and Neglected”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We have returned from a 4 day vacation at the Newport hotel.
The reason I chose this hotel is because I was looking for a beach vacation.
Although, we can afford paying for a high class hotel, we always prefer staying in a medium-class hotel, and spend the money on nice restaurants, SPA treatments etc.
Looking at the reviews I noticed that though there are some negative reviews most of the reviews are positive, and since I planned on staying out on the beach all day, and all I wanted is a clean room, where I can have a shower and sleep, I was saying to myself how bad can it be?
Eventually it was much worse than anything I would expect. I am willing to put up with anything from bad service to a broken toilet, but staying in a dirty room is unacceptable.

Here are the hotel pros:
- Nice lobby (but remember you don't sleep in the lobby ...)
- Smart and bright concierge with good advice (Note to management - give the guy a raise)
- LOCATION - the location of the hotel is perfect, you just walk through the pool area, go down 10 stairs, and in 100 feet you are in the beautiful waters of Miami beach.
- Many nearby restaurants and shops
The cons:
- Our room was filthy and neglected: the carpets are just filthy (that goes for the carpets in the corridors as well), the furniture is old, outdated, broken and sticky, wherever you touch you get sticky fingers.
Before we left we were searching behind the beds to see if we dropped anything it was a disgusting sight.
The ceiling had black mold stains and the walls were just awful.
I attached some pictures so you can see for yourself.
I stayed before at medium-class hotels, but wasn't prepared for this experience.
All in all it was a great vacation as we stayed all day on the beach.
I can't say anything on the food as I didn't dare eat there after I saw the rooms.
I won't be coming back to the Newport hotel.
This is a message to the management of the hotel: Your hotel has lots of potential, and is in urgent need of renovation not to mention a thorough cleanup!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (3,605)

Reviewed 25 August 2008

My sister and I stayed here for a few days of rest and relaxation (August 20-23, 2008). Although we did stay here previously I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor. I did notice that many of the complaints had to do with when people booked through an outside source instead of directly with the hotel. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, our room was cleaned everyday by 11:00am, we were checked-in within ten minutes and in our room by about 2:30 (we arrived at 1:00pm). In fact when we got to our room we called housekeeping and asked for two extra pillows. And within five minutes they brought them up. If you are looking for a place to unwind and relax, this is the place to go. They have a large pool and you are right on the beach. Are the drinks pricey at the pool bar, yes, but they are pricey anywhere you go. Can't wait to go back again.

"The Two Sisters"

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Overall my experience here was average. The atmosphere of the hotel was very pleasant. I loved the beach front setup. Other hotels only had a pool. I felt the restaurants were a little pricey but there were many places to eat about 5 minutes in walking distance. The breakfast buffet for two averaged about $26 total. Also we bought two drinks at the poolside bar which cost $20, and they were not good. We checked in around 11p and the concerige was not very nice. We asked to speak to the manager, but he was even rude about that. Expect to pay an additional $10 a night for everything you would normally get for free at a hotel. We tried disputing it, but they wouldn't give in. The room was nice, but the door key was hit or miss if it opened. They blamed us that the card was not working, but I really think it was the door lock, because even the cleaning lady had trouble opening the door. Like I said the best part of the hotel was the beach.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2008

My family has spent 3 weeks in the hotel. Yes, it was trough that some rooms are a bit outdated, but they are renovating them one after the other. On the other hand everything was very clean and all staff very friendly and helpful. Also the beach and the location: really great ! And the pool bar: Maglio Castaneda and Valeria ... the two greatest barkeepers I ever met :-) I understand, that some people might be dissapointed (it is always a question what you expect), but overall we had a relly great and wunderfull time here ! Also the restaurants which are in walking distance; we appreciated them. This is definitelly the place to stay in Miami Beach, centraly located ! We are thinking about returning next year !

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank starySwitzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I see all the reviews for the Newport Beachside are old, so I thought I would update, as we had a truly wonderful experience. I chose the hotel based on location, price and amenities, and indeed the price was so low that I was worried, until we got there. The hotel is gorgeous from the outside, and inside as well. We had reserved a one bedroom ocean front suite, and when they offered an upgrade to 2 bedrooms, but only ocean view, I was worried, since sometimes "ocean view" doesn't really allow a view. This was a wonderful view from the balcony, as well as from one of the bedrooms. The amenities inside the room were extravagant, the furnishings were new and up to date, and the location was great. We were right on the beach, with a huge pool and recreation area, and a great restaurant next door on the pier.

The staff was helpful, really the entire experience exceeded our expectations. I was sorry we only got to stay one night.

3  Thank scubamom08
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I made a reservation through Hotels.com for 2 rooms 2 month befor the vacation. I paid in full at the time reservation.
However, when I got there they sold out my rooms and they transfer us to another hotel " Marco Polo Ramada". They did not notice me at all. There was no night shift manager to talk to. I got there 2 AM with 70 years old parents and kids driving from Orlando and look for "Marco Polo Ramada". It was located few blocks to north to Newport Beachside.
I thought any Ramada hotel is good but not this one.
I never saw these bad conditions hetel or inn befor.
It was much worst than Days Inn.

The hotel Newport Beachside totally ruined my vacation.
I can not talk to any manager to talk to about it.
I felt I'm in south America some where. They treated us very rude and no consideration even though I made reservation 2 month ago.
I think they sold our room for better price and sent us to another hotel.
Even though they paid us the hotel we could not stay so we went to Key West.

Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEWPORT BEACHSIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Highland12528
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Newport is a very family friendly hotel with a very friendly staff.
In general, the hotel is very clean--but the beach should be cleaner. The sand and water is a little dirty. The pool should be cleaned better. The tiki bar is overpriced. The beach huts are rented per day for 10 bucks a day. The Jacuzzi didn't work while i was there. Live music--poolside.
There are activities for children by the poolside throughout the day. Some activities are also for adults.
Tip--Housekeeping!!
Great location--there are a number of restaurants and a strip mall across the street. The best restaurant is El Tropico-a cuban restaurant. They have live music on friday and saturday nights. Pollo Tropico is also very good. If you are with your family, there are family meals for 20 bucks.
Porterhouse has a good scene for young singles.
The Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL)--is a lot closer to Newport than Miami International (MIA). It is a 45 dollar cab ride.
Public Transportation--there are a number of different buses across the street. $1.50 each way. Ask the concierge or the bell men for directions. They are extremely helpful and friendly. South Beach is a alittle far when you are on the bus. The trip is about an hour long.
There is a lot of construction in the area, but I never heard any noise.
SHOPPING---
Sawgrass Mills is a must!! It is an outlet mall...many many great deals. Make the reservations at the hotel and they will pick you up from Newport and drop you off.
Aventura Mall is about ten minutes away on the bus.

1  Thank Vidal28