“The best SERVICE EVER!”

Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I decided to stay at this property thinking I was going to regret it. But it was cheap and I decided to give it a try. The building is a little old, but I can tell they are working on major renovations. We were given a renovated room with kitchen and brand new appliances. The Valet and Front Office staff are great!!! Since The moment We walked in to the property, we felt like we were been pampered. The Guys at the front desk were great and very accommodating. They even offered a complimentary upgrade to a partial ocean view room. Everybody from the front desk staff to the breakfast people in the morning were so nice and made us feel like a a KINGS!!! Pool beach guys were awesome and always very attentive to our needs. The two ladies at the bar were great and full of energy. (They were there for a long time) I enjoyed a massage at the Spa that was very relaxing and even the lady that was making up our room smiled at us every time she saw us... This was a very short trip and I thought I was taking my chances at this property, but I can tell you with confidence that the level of service here is not even close to those expensive hotels out there. VERY HAPPY!!! We will be back!

Room Tip: Request rooms with partial Ocean view (a little extra $$ will make a difference)
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JORGE5854
MPolo96, Revenue Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a wonderful comment on your recent stay at the Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort located in the quiet, upscale Sunny Isles Beach neighborhood.

We are delighted to read that you were given a complimentary room upgrade and that you enjoyed the renovated room with beautifully appointed amenities. We have announced your accolade to our frontline staff mentioned in your notes and they were very grateful.

Once again, thank you for your generous remarks and we hope to host you on your future trips the Miami Beach area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,298)

Reviewed 14 December 2011

My buddy’s and I stayed at this hotel from Nov 18 to 22, 2011. We had 2 rooms on the 7th floor, looking right out into the ocean. Here are my observations from this hotel.

Positive:
- Rooms are very clean (eventhough it is an older hotel)
- Pool and beach are well maintained
- Cleaning staff is excellent
- Each room is equipped with a full fridge, stove microwave, toaster, etc…
- Balcony offers a great view of the ocean.

Negative:
- The hotel is DATED. It could use a coat of paint and some general upkeep.
- Be aware of a $10 per night, per room “Resort Fee”
- Valet parking is the only real option and it is $18 per day. The valet is very busy at check in and check out times, so you have to wait for your vehicle.
- Windows rattled in the high winds, to the point of a loud whistle in the room.
- The buffet is always running out of eggs and you have to wait up to 15 minutes for replacement. Fruit also ran out 3 of 4 days we were there. Overall the buffet is a nice offering, but really is little more than coffee, juice and toast.
- The elevators are very slow and one of the 3 main ones was out of service the entire time we were there.

Those were our observations from the trip we had.

That being said, for the amount we paid, the hotel was a great value. The negative points listed above didn’t really frustrate us that much, we just rolled with it. Depending on prices at other hotels in the area, I would probably look elsewhere first before booking here again. But for the value, and for what we were looking for (clean, fridge, beach) the hotel met our simple needs.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank SteveEG75

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a note on your recent stay at our oceanfront resort. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the room amenities, marvelous ocean views and the great work of our housekeeping department. We are also pleased to read that our price and amenities offered was of great value.

You will be pleased to know that we are remodeling the resort in stages and we are very eager for its completion. Our resort fee of $10 is very competitive for the area and it is published on the web. It includes a host of amenities such as wireless internet, local phone calls, towels and chairs on the pool deck, daily USA Today newspaper etc.

Our staff does their best to ensure that each guest has a great experience with us so we will surely pass along your positive feedback to them. We are grateful that you listed areas of opportunity for our consideration and we have created a checklist which the relevant departments are inspecting.

Thank you so much for leaving your notes and we hope to host you on your next trip to the Miami Beach area.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I decided to stay at this hotel for a short weekend escape on Nov. 19-21. I must say that the customer service provided at this hotel was absolutely horrible! the only part of the check in process i enjoyed was the valet guys when we pulled up to the hotel drive way and they immediately opened my door and welcomed us to the hotel.

The property is OBVIOUSLY old. Upon walking up to the check in counter i was surprised at how the woman standing there didn't even acknowledge us! As a current MANAGER of the front desk for a Marriott Property i pay close attention to the check in process. It was terrible. after waiting for 5 minutes, the woman finally looked up at us and walked to the back and some pregnant woman walked out. She seemed annoyed, and like she just woke up from a nap or something because she didn't even say "Hello" and just asked for our last name. She had her back to us the whole time and finally asked for our method of payment, gave us our keys and walked away. We had to wait another 5 minutes for the elevator and upon walking in to our room on the 2nd floor we discovered that the room has 2 double beds. That was NOT what i paid for! I called the reception and I calmly explained to the woman on the phone that i paid for a king bed. she said "this is all we have" and hung up. absolutely rude! The room smelled bad, the a/c didn't work, and the view was awful. I know this is no 5 star hotel but a little customer service would have been nice.

I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN! Do not stay here. disgusting. absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MnM1121
MPolo96, Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

We are delighted to read that the valet team was very attentive and did a great job in welcoming you to the resort.

Our management team is disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay was not as favorable as we would have all liked. We sincerely apologize for the lack of attention you experienced at the counter during your check in. The staff was copied on your observation and immediately a coach and counsel exercise was conducted to avoid a recurrence.

Our resort has a limited inventory of king sized beds, and we may have filled that quota prior to your arrival. Nevertheless, I would have liked the agent to relay this information to you upon your check in; and explained in a better form when you inquired, I sincerely apologize for this disconnect, this too was discussed with the staff. Your concerns with the odor and the problematic air conditioning unit were relayed to the engineering and housekeeping departments who immediately checked the room.

Should you decide to return to the Miami Beach area, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can assist you in making your room arrangements. Our aim is to ensure that you receive the memorable experience that our many repeat guests have enjoyed.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

The building is old with obvious leaks in the rain. My bathroom door was broken when I checked in. Breakfast was the worst continental breakfast I have ever had. The manager tried to intimidate my group into paying more than was agreed on at check in and it took over an hour of arguing to get the original agreed on price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mikeurtno
MPolo96, Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

We appreciate your taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Our management team is disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay were not as favorable as we would have all liked.

We serve breakfast to many guests each morning in our ocean view restaurant. Our upgraded continental breakfast buffet includes items such as hot fresh scrambled eggs, fresh fruits, hot oatmeal, muffins etc which is appeasing to most of our guests. Mentioning the areas of the breakfast that were least appeasing to you would have been helpful for our Food and Beverage management revision.

We wished that you had reported the broken bathroom door while you were on property; our maintenance department operates on a 24 hour schedule and the team would have expeditiously fixed the door.

In the event of a billing dispute, the manager reviews each component of the bill including incidentals to bring clarification. I am happy that your bill was resolved and do apologize for the delay in explaining the detailed breakdown.

We value your comments which help in our daily decision making process and hope you appreciate our efforts in addressing your concerns.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Rude employees. This hotel is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a 3 star hotel... are you kidding me? We got upcharged for what was clearly included in the reservation. There wasn't even carpeting in the room we rented. The decor... not that it could even be called decor... was early 1970's. Pathetic. Horrible. We left after the first night.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLC59

We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at our resort.

Our management team is disappointed to read that you experienced some challenges during your stay with us. Our charges and fees are published on the internet; in addition our front desk staff reviews the charges with the guest at check out. You will be pleased to know that the majority of our rooms have been remodeled and wished that you had experienced one of those rooms.

Our resort has several room options as well as carpeted and tiled rooms. We wished that you had expressed your desire for a carpeted room as we would have gladly accommodated you based on availability.

Every guest’s experience is significant to us and we surely appreciate your comment and we would love an opportunity to regain your confidence should your travels bring you back to the Miami Beach area.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

The hotel is obviously old and some parts are renovated but there are a few pros and cons. Pros: nice, clean rooms, great view from the window to the ocean, right on the beach, beautiful outdoor pool, steam room, wireless Internet available, continental breakfast,good customer service. CONS: nothing is nearby (within 3 mile) to have fun besides the beach, hallways smell moldy, some of the extra amenities (Internet, steam room, etc) are an extra 10$ per day that is not specified when booking, toilet has push button flush that is almost flush with the vanity, etc. it is just ok for me. ;-)

• Stayed: November 2011

Thanks you for leaving a review on your recent stay at our resort. We are pleased to read that you appreciated the beautiful ocean views, clean room, and good customer service.

You may have overlooked our $10 resort fee which is published on the internet which covers many amenities such as wireless internet, the fitness center, chairs and umbrellas on the pool deck etc. The smell in the hallways was brought to the attention of the housekeeping department.

There are many nearby attractions such as the Aventura Mall which has over 300 shops; cafes and shops along Collins Avenue which is accessible by the complimentary Sunny Isles shuttle. Our concierge team would have gladly assisted you in sourcing out the local entertainment spots.

Again, thank you for visiting our resort and for leaving a note regarding your experience. We hope to host you soon at the Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

So for $90/night (business/conference rate) right on the beach, you don't exactly expect the ritz. I can accept that. I will say that the pool area was nice and the location was great. However, the rooms are very old and poorly maintained. Our room was moldy smelling, and I woke up with horrible sinus pain every morning. There was a crack in the ceiling above our tub, and cold water dripped out of it onto us whenever we showered. It was not condensation because it was ice cold water dripping down. The bathroom also had NO ventilation, so we had to shower with the bathroom door open because otherwise, the entire room because so over-heated it was intolerable.

Our room had no balcony and overlooked a parking lot. The windows were supposed to open but only one of them did and only a crack.

The housekeeping staff shorted us towels every day. One day we were given no hand towels. When we caught the housekeeper in the hallway and asked for some, she simply said she did not have any. The next day, we were left no wash cloths, and when we asked, she said she would be back with some in 10 minutes. We never saw her again.

My most significant complaint about this hotel is that some surprise charges appeared on my credit card several days after I had checked out. I was traveling on business for the college where I work, and we have tax exempt status. The tax exempt number is printed right on the credit card I used. I was assured this status would be honored, and when I signed to authorize charges upon check-out, taxes had been subtracted. However, several days later, the charge for taxes reappeared on my credit card. When I called the hotel, they said they did not have to honor my tax exempt status because my card was not tax exempt in the state of Florida. Legally, they are correct, and it is within their right to do this. However, most businesses WILL honor tax exempt status, regardless of the state in which the card was issued. I have used my credit card to pay for many, many out-of-state hotels over the past 15 years and have NEVER been denied tax exempt status. It wasn't even so much that they denied this status, it was that they did it after the fact--after agreeing to honor it--and then snuck it onto my credit card. Now my Accounting office has to get involved in getting a receipt because I did not sign for those charges when I checked out.

I would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean with a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
MPolo96, Manager at Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

We know that you had many accommodation choices and we are thankful that you chose the Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort for your recent business trip.

Our management team is collectively disappointed to read that you had encountered some challenges during your stay with us. Our resort offers various room types, while the majority of our rooms have views of the ocean, the room assignment is based upon the room category purchased. We wished you had spoken to someone on our management team as we would have immediately relocated you to another room.

The Director of Housekeeping has addressed the absence of towels in the room as there are adequate towels in inventory for distribution. The interaction with the floor attendant was undesirable and the housekeeping manager has coached and counseled the attendant. The maintenance team corrected the ventilation issue as well as the faucet and the crack in the ceiling.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the miscommunication regarding taxes charged to your account. As you have agreed in your writing, the application of the taxes to your credit card is correct, and upon checkout the application of the taxes should have been reiterated by the guest service agent to avoid the disconnect. This matter was brought to the attention of the Front Office manager who has since addressed the staff.

Once again, thank you for providing a review on your recent stay with us and I hope the remainder of your trip to the Miami Beach area was pleasant.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#9 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#4 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
1 mi away
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles Beach
Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles ...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach
2 mi away
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura

Been to Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!