“not bad for the deal price I got”

Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Miami, Florida
“not bad for the deal price I got”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to come here for the weekend. We were due for a nice mini-getaway without braking the bank! Rooms were okay, We really enjoyed the outside area. Once checked in we went to the pool patio and they had a great dj playing music! Fun Fun Fun, definitely not my ordinary weekends. Staff was professional and kind.

Room Tip: beachfront views are the best!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 June 2014

my stay here was very pleasant .the staff here really made the difference, the warm greetings each time I met the restaurant manager, patty at the pool side bar spoke to me by name on my second visit ,maria an hector very polite an helpful, veronica with the security at the pool very informative and helpful. older hotel but a great staff I will return there in December .

Room Tip: rooms on ocean side great views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Florida City
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our family had a overall good experience at the hotel. The service was awesome. Hector was the person at the front desk he had great attitude. He smiled the whole time. He took the time and explained rates and the charges. We did have wait for the room but it was not long at all. Pablo at guest services took care of us with our bags his team was on top of things and very polite and professional. Housekeeping keep us stocked with towels and toiletries anything we asked they took care of us. The only I can say is the room need some TLC but it is clean and taken care of. the pool and the beach were great. I would stay here again. I looking forward to another trip down to stay at the Marco Polo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for a weekend getaway. Overall impression is that this is an "old school" Miami Beach hotel that could really appeal to traditionalists like me - but they really need to upgrade the rooms and pay attention to detail. The common areas - the lobby, pool area, etc., are actually kind of fun, because they have that 50s/60s Miami vibe. The lobby is attractive, and the pool area is nice enough. Lots of security, big fluffy yellow towels by the big warm pool, comfortable lounge chairs, and a nice little poolside bar. No hot tub, though, which was disappointing.

The service staff was just OK. Check in took an unforgivably long time due to a new clerk being broken in, but she wasn't being supervised, so she had the reservations, rate, and pretty much everything else wrong, and then chose to argue with us when we showed her the online confirmation on our phone. There is no self-parking, although I think there is a parking garage across the busy Collins Ave. The charge for valet is $18 per day plus tips of course, and on a non-busy afternoon it took 20 minutes to get our vehicle. Again, here's a lack of attention to detail. If it's going to take that long to get cars around, the hotel should have the "call down from your room" feature, but here you have to present your valet ticket downstairs before they will go get your car. Nothing annoys a weekend traveler more than having to wait unnecessarily, and sitting around a humid hotel exterior waiting for your car for 20 minutes gets you pretty annoyed pretty quick.

The only other significant interaction we had with the staff was as we were waiting for the elevators to head down to check out, one of the housekeepers decided to have a conversation with a gentleman who was vacuuming the corridors. They decided to converse by screaming at the top of their lungs over the sound of the vacuum. If I had been in a room nearby trying to rest, or trying to do anything, for that matter, I would have been furious. Even as it was - we were leaving - it was all I could do not to walk back down the hallway and tell them to shut the bleep up. Some serious staff training and quality control is necessary at the Marco Polo.

All of these disappointments, however, were nothing compared to the deplorable condition of the room. I will start with the good: there was a nice big flat screen tv, and the shower water was consistently warm. Beyond that, I was shocked that Ramada would allow its name to be put on a Miami Beach hotel that would offer rooms in this condition. The floors and bathrooms were filthy - baseboards with a coating of dust and dirt that looked like they had not been wiped down for years. The bathroom vent was open, with a quarter-inch layer of dirt crusted over it. The shower plumbing fixtures were not attached - when you turned on the water, the metal cover just fell into your hand. The room did have an refrigerator and a full stove with plates and utensils - but the fridge was probably 20 years old, which made it seem brand new next to the stove and microwave - honestly, I have not seen a microwave that looked like that in decades. It looked like a prop from the 70s show.

As I noted earlier, I'm not anti-retro. In fact, I think this place has some fantastic potential for people who want a little taste of what made people start coming to this part of the world in the 50s and 60s. But it needs a serious, thorough update, and maybe a boot-camp style retreat for the staff to start taking some pride in their jobs. All in all, I can't give the place more than 2 stars.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, get an oceanview balcony. Until this place gets a serious update...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We chose this place due to a last minute flight cancellation and had to find a place to stay for a few days. I used Kayak.com and got a price of $91 per night.

Pool area is nice and its directly on the beach. Beach was clean and well maintained. Nice little pool bar area and eatery was ok.

Rooms were a little outdated. It had a IKEA style closet that was leaning and looking like it was going to fall apart. It seemed to me that the hotel was made up of previous apartments/condos and one day Ramada started converting it to a regular hotel. Our bed was nice and the balcony was small. You could definitely tell the place was going through some sort of renovations.

The biggest gripe I have is that the walls seem to be so thin. You could hear every door slam and it seemed like they were beating down your door. We were in room #832

The little pizza eatery on the bottom floor was good so make sure to try that.

We took the bus to South Beach for the day which took 30min to get there and it only costed $2.25 per person......Dont forget exact change!!! or they will kick you off. There is a bus stop directly across the street where you can catch it. South Beach is great place to eat. There is so many places to choose from and the sites alone make a full day of walking around so make sure you wear some comfortable shoes. I had blisters on my feet, stupid me for wearing flip flops all day long. We were suppose to got hang out on Miami Beach but caught too caught up with all the shopping and sites of South Beach we didn't have time to.

Anyway.....for $91 a night.....and on the beach....You can't beat the value.....Id stay there again for sure....

Room Tip: Try to get ocean side if you can. Look into which floor has the most construction going on and stay...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cleveland
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had a good overall experience with the Marco Polo. The staff was friendly and allowed an extra early check-in after an all night flight. Yes, my room had a dated decor but that was fine - it had a mini fridge, a safe, a large TV, WIFI, and a comfortable bed. I was on the second floor so I could hear noise from the street and the construction next door.
I pool was very nice and very close to the ocean - that's what made the biggest impression on me. Towels were provided, the pool deck wasn't overly crowded, the grill served good food and drinks for a reasonable price and had all the TV's set to World Cup game coverage. The was a fitness center but I didn't visit it. The beach was nice, next to a lifeguard tower, and although there was public access adjacent to the hotel - it wasn't too crowded.
Not much nightlife at the hotel and the valet sometimes took a little while with the car...
Other hotels I checked farther south were quite a bit more expensive and much farther to the ocean. It was a good experience for the value - I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Construction at the adjacent (North) hotel - ask for something on the other side.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

the most unpleasant experience of my life, we never got the rooms we were sold or bought with conditions, in poor condition, I take photos prove everything I say and I would like to know how should I proceed to make a complaint about the poor conditions of lodging and hotel stay marked ramada polo in Miami Beach, never come Back to this hotel in my life y buy this reservación From bookit.com please be carefull

Room Tip: Never go to this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
The Confidante
The Confidante
#34 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,741 reviews

Been to Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!