“Super Bistro -Hidden Gem”
Review of Little Darling Diner Balmain - CLOSED

Little Darling Diner Balmain
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Balmain
Sydney, Australia
“Super Bistro -Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Balmain/Rozelle's Darling St has oodles of restaurants and cafes, but this is special. Unassuming from the street on the corner of Elliott St opposite the Cat & Fiddle pub, it is two floors and a dark wood decor, which is understated but elegant. We have eaten here four times so far and cannot recommend it highly enough. Nour the headwaiter runs a well-trained team, Louise and Emma are delightful waitresses, unobtrusive when serving, attentive and yet charming if one chats. The wine list is fairly short, but of pleasant quality and not too damaging to the pocket. The cocktails look heavenly - peach & rose with a real rose.

Of course one goes to a restaurant for the food. Mel the chef is very competent indeed. She has a short menu which she changes every six weeks (see website). I have had the steak, succulent, almost melt-in-the-mouth tender and beautifully cooked and the duck excellent. However it is Mel's dessert which are just - heaven. My partner and I argued whether her parfait or my tarte tatin and cinnamon ice cream was more 'to die for'. At our next visit the menu had changed and despite our whinging, the new desserts were again superb. However Mel promised given enough notice, she could do a special for us.

What more could one want? Ambiance, superb service, charm, and tasty food? Music of course: on Friday nights they have a talented guitarist who plays an extraordinary range of music.

Prices: Reasonable.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank BojanaRupakBrend

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Romantic, Delicious and just darn cute!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I decided to go to a restaurant to spoil ourselves. We came across this cute restaurant and had the beef fillet. Very tender and juicy! Can't recommend enough.

I did write a blog post with further information here http://suburbaneatz.com/little-darling-diner-balmain/

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank claudiasuburban
Sydney, Australia
“Great addition to Rozelle's cafes”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

We have had a breakfast and lunch at Little Darling Diner. Both excellent.

The staff are very welcoming and service is attentive and good. There is a surprising amount of seating, quite unexpected for such a narrow shop front plus a nice outside area at the back - lovely for lunch.

We were delighted that they had White Rabbit beer on the menu and I was very impressed with the Steak and Frites. I've always had Felix as my top Steak and Frites cafe, but I think Little Darling pips them and it is cheaper.

Hopefully will get back a try a dinner soon.

• Visited November 2011