“Amazing apartment, shame about the noise”

Bellagio By The Sea
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I booked accommodation at the Bellagio after friends of ours stayed there and said how lovely it was. We had a wedding at Dee Why, so it was nice and close. We chose to stay Friday & Saturday night (the wedding was on the Saturday) so we could relax for a bit. Upon checking in, we were told we were upgraded from a one bedroom apartment with garden view to a one bedroom apartment with an ocean view - which was a lovely surprise. Our first impression of the apartment was that it was incredible - top-of-the-line appliances in the kitchen, lovely ocean view, heated towel racks & heated tiles in the marbled bathroom, the automated shutters in the lounge room, and it just looked lovely. The one down side was the carpet - as people did mention, it looked like it as in desperate need of replacing. But other than that the apartment was very clean, and considering we only paid $209 a night we were very happy.

However, that night whilst trying to get to sleep we realised just how noisy it was in the bedrooms. It seemed as if the windows weren't properly sealed, because the traffic noise was horrendous. I know that you'll get this with any hotel that's on a main street, especially if you're only two floors up, but I also think there should be better soundproofing to allow people to have a good night's rest. If that wasn't bad enough, we were woken up at 12am by people next door either on the roof top terrace or the balcony (both of which you're not allowed to use after 10pm due to noise restrictions) talking loudly. This continued until 3am, and during that time we were kept awake. It was absolutely ridiculous. The following morning when reception opened at 9am I called them and spoke to Chloe and put in a complaint - apparently for a noise complaint the guests are to be fined $300, but I'm not sure if they were fined or not. We were told if it happened again that night to call reception (which would be closed) & go through to an after hours number, where they will send somebody out. Luckily we didn't have any issues the following night.

As lovely as the apartment was, I wouldn't stay again. I think the whole idea of getting away for the weekend is having a good night's sleep - the noise of the traffic & the rude guests next door made that very impossible.

Room Tip: As nice as it is to have an ocean view room, it's probably best to have a garden view room just...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rbjarvis
There are newer reviews for Bellagio By The Sea

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I recently stayed at Bellagio By the Sea with a small group for a work event that was being held in Manly. I was a little hesitant after reading some reviews on here once I had made the booking. But honestly I don’t know what people are complaining about. The rooms were great we stayed in the 2 bedroom penthouse , beautiful bathrooms and absolutely spectacular view on an amazing terrace. Defiantly worth spending the extra money on getting a room with a terrace so much extra room to chill out. Only a short taxi ride into Manly which was very handy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank danni_bh2b
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked three of the two bedroom penthouse units for a hens weekend away. The receptionist was helpful, and the apartments were perfect for our celebration - especially the rooftop terraces! We self-catered using mainly the terrace BBQ. Nice ocean views and a relatively easy taxi ride to Manly to go out.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The location is great - opposite beautiful Collaroy beach. The carpet looks as if it has been there for 10 years - very badly stained. I don't think the air con has ever been cleaned. The outdoor furniture on the deck is very sad and in need of replacing. Overall, not bad, but desperately in need of a make over.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Just spent a night at Bellagio. Confess to feeling somewhat nervous upon reading the reviews - but - based on our own experience, we really enjoyed our stay. Chloe was very accommodating with our requests and highly professional, yet friendly. We were given an upgrade to an Ocean View which wasn't requested. Our apartment (51) was fantastic value for money and huge. The two balconies were amazing and we only wished we had more time to enjoy it. So pleased that our experience far exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank JAmor1963
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked 2x2bedroom penthouse apartments and there were positives and negatives for both. Overall I would still stay there again , I was originally quite nervous about our stay due to other trip advisor reviews but had had a friend and family stay there 4 years ago and remembered how wonderful their stay was !! We had 4 people in each apartment and both took a set of sheets for the sofa bed so teenage kids wouldn't have the hassle of sleeping with the sibling and not be charged a heap for extra linen for bed.
This was where one problem was the lounges are filthy modern but seriously need to be cleaned ours was better than my sister in laws apartment theirs was bad we actually always sat in ours not theirs!!also they seriously need to get the carpets cleaned or changed the wooden flooring is gorgeous but cream carpet doesn't work it's dirty !
The other big problem was the air con did not work at all in the other penthouse there were fans placed in each room which wasn't a good sign when we entered , when we went and asked about it they said hopefully be fixed the next day or they could move , it didn't get fixed until the day we left 5 days later and the other apartment was down the other end of the building which we had asked to be beside each other as was a family get together !! So we spent all time in our apartment which had a huge outdoor area which was fabulous great for breakfast lunch and dinner.
The positives were great appliances great quality and marble bathrooms fantastic deep bath and our bed was very comfortable . Our daughter loved the high tec lighting panel and electric window shutters!
And the beach across the road was brilliant and restaurants and bus stop . Parking is tight thank goodness we took my xr6 falcon and not the husbands ford ranger as it would not have fit ! The pool was great only negative was that the pool guy came to clean it at 2pm on the Thursday while we were having a lovely time in there and told us " to get out I have to clean it " there was no sign no asking politely he was a jerk and I should have said something to management but they were out when it happened ( lucky for them as I wasn't impressed !!) overall I still would stay again and hope a few changes are made for next time !

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim B
bellagio_sydney, General Manager at Bellagio By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your review.
Unfortunately the air conditioning had stopped working in one of the two apartments you had booked. And we did have your apartments allocated side by side. As the air conditioning was unable to be fixed straight away (as it required parts that had been ordered), we showed you another apartment of the same type that you could move to straight away.
However you did decline as you wanted to stay side by side. We therefore offered you compensation of $50 off per night which you accepted. I can report that the air conditioning has since been fixed.

In relation to the couches, we have ordered new ones for our apartments. We expect to start replacing them at the start of March.

We hope to welcome you back again in the not to distant future.

Kind Regards,

Jono

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We hired the $1000 per night 'best room in the house' for 6 people. Whilst the view and apartment fittings are lovely, the lack of basics are astounding. Such as 1. car spots that don't safely fit a large car - this is fine, but say so before you take my money. 2. Only 6 plates and cups, not enough cutlery for 6, nothing to wash or dry crockery/cutlery (we had to use a face cloth as shops were closed!). 3. Broken shower in main bathroom 4. Overflowing urinal in ensuite (yes, it overflowed when used - a disgusting hygiene issue). The most disturbing part.. When I went to reception to advise of our terrible evening where we couldn't shower and spent an hour cleaning a urinated floor I was told that they could not believe the urinal would have overflowed, insinuating I was lying and had I have listened properly to the answering service and left an emergency message there would be no problem.. So it was my fault we had a bad experience. I can accept that issues occur but the level of (non existent) service here is indescribable. Unless you have a few hours to manage the issues that arise, do not book here. I would hate to see the quality of the lower priced apartments, this was our experience for $1000 a night!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rachelle M
bellagio_sydney, General Manager at Bellagio By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hi Rachelle,

In response to your bad feedback which I have the following comments;

It is true that we do not have large car spaces. They do meet council regulations and are individual lock up garages with a buzzer. I do note that you did have a large 4WD car, and you did fit it in to the car space you had however it would have been a bit tight. If it was an issue, we would have been more than happy to let you park on the street and cancel the parking. Nothing had been mentioned about this until you checked out.

All items in the apartment are checked prior to a guest arriving. The urinal did work and so did the shower prior to your arrival, as I personally checked these myself being that you were staying in our most expensive apartment. It also worked for the previous guest with no complaints.

Both the blocked urinal and shower tap were remedied the next day in about 15 minutes. A call to the reception could have had someone look at this straight away.

Yes, we do have limited reception hours. We are open from 9am until 6pm daily. Outside of this, when calling reception we provide an option to speak to an onsite staff member if there are any major issues. Unfortunately you did not use this option.

You make mention of no customer service but this is not true.

Prior to your arrival a welcome letter was placed in the apartment welcoming you to the hotel, and explaining information about the hotel and the apartment you had booked. Provided at no charge were flowers, chocolates and champagne.

When you came and complained about the urinal overflowing, we immediately offered to send a staff member up to clean the bathroom floor. As you advised as us to wait as other occupants in the room were still sleeping we did, and then we sent one of our staff up.

When you mentioned your issues at the reception, we offered a late checkout of 1.00pm instead of the normal 10.00am. You later returned to the reception a hour later and demanded to stay until 5pm. By allowing you to do this, we were not able to sell the apartment the following day either, but we did it in good faith as such a co-motion was made about the two issues (shower, urinal blocked). I believe this was more than sufficient yet you still come to leave a one sided review, hence the large reply.

Kind Regards,

Jono

Also consider these accommodations in or near Collaroy Beach
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Quest Manly
Quest Manly
#1 of 13 in Manly
Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel

Been to Bellagio By The Sea? Share your experiences!