“Excellent Service”

WAQU
Price range: US$14 - US$93
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: WAQU offers a unique dining experience featuring the best of modern Japanese food with a Western influence in the stylish and intimate atmosphere.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Have been to this restaurant recently for wife birthday celebration.
The entire dining experience was pleasant. Food was excellent as it was the first time we tried Fusion. The serving portion was small for me and the beef I had was smaller in size compared to my wife. The waiting staff is reurgating the ingredient of each dish served.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have been to Waqu many times over the years, whenever we feel like treating ourselves to a fancy meal that is good value, enjoying their set degustation style menu. It is an attractive, modern style restaurant and the service is always top notch. This last visit, we decided to try their Kappo dining menu, which they describe as Japanese tapas. It was a great choice, my husband, adult son and I, were a bit hesitant that it would be more expensive and maybe less filling than the usual menu, but we were wrong. You order you dishes from the menu, there are small plates, large plates and rice pots. The serving size was much bigger than I thought they would be, each small dish was fine for 3 people to share adequately. We ordered about 6 small dishes, all were delicious and moreish, especially the calamari. Then we shared a steak dish (300g Wagyu sirloin which they portioned into 3 servings for us) and a seafood rice dish, and 2 desserts. They had half price sake at that visit, so we couldn't say no to that. The Mango dessert was divine. We were well and truly full with all that, could even have been able to reduce a small dish and still be satisfied.
I think I enjoy Kappo dining more than their other menu, as you can pick and choose what you like to eat. The cost was the same if not slightly less than if you were to go with their other menu. Can't wait to return for more Kappo dining.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I liked the meal & service here. Good modern Japanese style Tapas at a reasonable price I thought. Would like to return soon to see if it still producing good quality food & service.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We used to come here every 2-3 months and always brought guests here. Unfortunately the recent changes are focused more on their business than the customer. Whilst I can understand the temptation to leverage their recent success the poor customer now has to chose between two 'sitting' times - one too early and one too late. You also have to decide when you book which menu you and your guests would like to dine from as this dictates where you sit!! The prices have gone up and you are now unlikely to get out of either section much under $100pp.

It was always a great place with lovely staff, average service and fantastic food for a good price but under the new "regime" we won't be going back - going out to dinner with friends just shouldn't be that hard!

3  Thank Helen C
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Waqu was one of my favourite restaurants. It has had a makeover and the once spacious restaurant is now awkwardly divided into two.
We opted for the 'fine dining' area which was at the back.
The six course menu is disappointing. Instead of each course being explained it was merely dumped in front of us. The lamb cutlet was fatty and not trimmed so very little meat as a main choice. The price or corkage is now ridiculous considering the lack of service. The dessert was sad - a melted potato ice cream that was tasteless accompanied a very forgettable pear something or other. The best part of the meal was the tiny savoury macaroon floating in the pumpkin soup.

1  Thank Virginia P