“Back after 25 years”

Cuisines: German, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2017

We hadn't been to Stuyvesant's House since the 1990s. It hasn't changed much in the time, but we had a great evening. We all started with a German beer and some dutch bitter balls. For the main course my husband and our friend shared a pork knuckle. The waiter very kindly explained that the pork knuckle is a very big serving for one person. They divided up the pork knuckle in the kitchen and brought out two separate plates which was great. The meals were tasty with lovely accompaniments. Our wine was very nice - a French grenache. We all enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

This has been my favourite restaurant in Sydney for 15 years. The best? Not quite, as the benchmarks for Sydney fine dining are constantly being extended. However in terms of quality of produce and flavour, nothing surpasses Stuyvesants for the post-war European silver service experience. Black pudding, superb oysters, lobster bisque, chateaubriand, all the 1960s standards are here and all delicious. If there was a 'Mad Men' series filmed in 1960s-70s Sydney, this would be the watering hole. And finally nothing (and I mean nothing) in the entire country touches the Stuyvesant wine list. Petrus? tick. Latour? tick. All vintages of Grange back to 1955? tick. Domaine de la Romanee Conti? Certainly sir. La Tache or Echezeaux for you?? The regulars know what I mean, the up and coming dining generation need to experience it.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Hadn't been to this restaurant for 30 years and will not be going back! It was totally overpriced, the food after a long wait was very average and the way the owner Rudi spoke to his wait staff throughout the evening in that berating tone was appalling. We concurred that Rudi is still living in the glory days of the past! Save your hard earned money and give this restaurant a big miss!

1  Thank Nadia1609
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We visited on a Friday night to celebrate some family birthdays. We had a booking for ten but four of us turned up first. The night started with a lecture by Rudi delivered to my husband as he had tried to call ten times to confirm our booking (in reality it was twice while we were driving from interstate), followed up with disgust as there were only four and not ten who managed to arrive at the Germanic appointed time of our booking. We explained that the rest of the party were on the way. He then pestered us five times in less than two minutes to take orders or drinks or kids meals or some sort of croquettes... Most of the rest of the party turned up and we decided to order - now it was hard to get any attention.. Then during the ordering the final members of our group turned up and there was an interruption of the ordering. Rudi threw the order book down on our table and stormed off. At this stage I was giggling and my brother law and I making smart remarks and jokes. Anyway Rudi came back and the orders were finalised. As we waited we finished the first bottle of wine and ordered a second from the waitress (who appeared to not understand English and who we heard Rudi yelling at from time to time). Rudi bought the second bottle of wine and as he filled my glass he announced "what are you? A little pisspot?" that was it I was in hysterics! The choice was either to walk out in disgust or to join in with the dramatics! The food? Who knows I can hardly remember as pisspot are too drunk to remember such things!!

2  Thank Renata B
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Some friends and I attended one of the wine tasting nights mid week which they seem to put on every now and then. Upon arriving we had the sparkling white and a rose which were OK. Then we were seated, starter was a seafood plate of an oyster, scallop and piece of fish. It was just ok. Main was a suckling pig with some sort of noodles which was more fat than meat and not that great flavour of the pork. Only saving grace was the dessert of crumble and ice cream which was good. In all for $170 per head the whole experience was a rip off. Some of the most awful wines matched with below average food. Steer clear of these events , I won't be back. Ever.

1  Thank Ashley C