“Very disappointing”
Review of La Grillade

La Grillade
Reserve with
La Grillade is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 193 Restaurants in Crows Nest
Price range: US$0 - US$91
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse, Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My hubby and I had dinner at La Grillade on Wed evening. We have eaten here several times before, but not for the past 3 years. Our expectations were high - this is not a cheap restaurant, but has a reputation for serving good food. Hubby ordered kidneys for a starter - completely overcooked and appeared and tasted like they had been cooked and then microwaved to warm up. They were more stewed than sautéed! The next disappointment was the Duck with cherries - the sauce overwhelmed the duck (there was so much of it), you needed a magnifying glass to spot the pieces of duck amongst all the cherries! Not pleasant. Hubby had a steak which was cooked very well, however it too was swimming in sauce. It would have been much nicer to have had the sauce in a jug on the side. The side dish of vegetables was even more disappointing. No potatoes (which would have been a good accompaniment for the steak) and the carrots were not al dente, just completely raw! Overall a very very disappointing experience and definitely not value for money. We won't be back in a hurry!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

“Great restaurant overall”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We came across this restaurant and decided to try it out. The ambience is really great and the service is attentive.

We had French snails as entree, well I have the day the shells are big but the content is a lot smaller than some of the other French restaurant I have been and it is quite oily and not enough flavor.

The main we had the salmon and chicken breast. The salmon is too salty I find.

The pear desserts which is outstanding! My gf traded her Belgium chocolate for my because she finds it too sweet. The latte we had which is very nice indeed.

We had a good night still, I mean French food can't go wrong right?! :)

Melbourne, Australia
“THE best steak!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Whenever I request my steak well done, 9 times out of 10, I receive a grimace from wait staff! But not at La Grillade where I was happily informed, ' if that's how you want it, that's how it will be cooked.' And it was magnificent! My husband and our two friends also enjoyed their meals. The restaurant has a delightful courtyard - at the rear of the restaurant which has ceiling and stand alone gas heaters - which is very stylish, but relaxIng. The set menu ($69 pp) for Mother's Day proved to be excellent value, and I am so envious of our Sydney friends who frequent this place! I am very fussy about food, and there was nothing for me to find fault with at La Grillade. Except maybe the wine prices, but hey, that's an issue in all restaurants these days - and it annoys me that there is such a mark up!

“Mothers Day wait”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After admiring the courtyard garden from the outside, we decided to book this restaurant for Mothers Day. The service was very welcoming, and I was glad to be seated in the garden section, because the inside was very dark and looked like there had been a power failure. We debated whether or not to risk filling up on garlic and other breads and chose to try some anyway - quite surprised they came out at the same time as the entree. Then we waited. And chatted. And waited. And wondered. An hour later, I flagged down a waiter to ask what had happened to our mains. An apology cam from the head waiter, to be followed by an apology from the maître de. Something had gone wrong in the kitchen, and although the order had gone through half an hour ago - still no food. Another 20 minutes and the mains appeared. The quality of the dishes was excellent. I was expecting maybe a waiver of corkage or at least some gesture to offset the lengthy waiting time, but when the bill came - in full, I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to exceed our expectations. I may give them another go, but with so many alternatives in the area...?

Sydney, Australia
“Delicious food, great ambience”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Went here for a date night with my husband. Found service to be attentive but not overbearing, and the food was delicious. A particular favourite was the chocolate mousse for dessert. The only slight disappointment was that the creme brulee was slightly overcooked on the outside, but we will be going back to try it again as I suspect it was a once off. Everything else was delicious.

Duck liver pate was divine, and duck for main was delicious. Very rich. Nice to be able to BYO also. Great for a date night.

• Visited March 2014