“Average waiter leads to average night”
Review of La Grillade

La Grillade
Ranked #6 of 200 Restaurants in Crows Nest
Price range: US$0 - US$91
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse, Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a Scoopon and appreciate being allowed to use this past expiry. The food was average to very good. Unfortunately the waiter must have been new as he took 10 mins to enter our order into their system and then brought out one of my daughters main at the same time as our entree despite us requesting for one order of prawns to be shared by our two daughters. Fortunately the prawns were brought about 10 mins later by another waiter who was more attentive to us. By this time my daughters main was more or less cold so it was a shame the waiter was not attentive. The wine by the glass was measured so not as to give us one extra ml for our $26. The mains themselves were quite appetising with a very generous serving of steamed vegetables and lovely creamed mash. After clearing our mains we did not see the waiter again and relied on someone else to bring our deserts. After waiting for around 15 mins for the bill when our waiter knew we had finished and should have brought it quickly considering we had a young family, Ann who was very friendly and accommodating, looked after us. I would not go back in a hurry because of the service but the food was quite nice and the host Ann was very nice. One major downside in winter was the open fire which was creating a lot of smoke and made my clothes and hair smell terrible.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Completely agree with dp468's comments about their poor service. Why offer the deals if they treat these customers so badly? I see they have another on now. Surely the idea is to impress us so we become regulars. I booked the table with Anne, no issues - until i sent her my voucher details at which point she decided they no longer had room for us as we were on a voucher. we were unable to go on the mon-thurs nights she could offer, so were going to have to lose the $200 value I had bought. Eventually she said there was a cancellation and we could after all have that 6pm friday slot..then my father died that very day so I had to fly back to UK. I emailed Anne to let her know we wouldn't make that date. She didn't even have the courtesy to respond. So yes I lost the money and they lost a family of potential regular customers.

2  Thank SydneyLadybird
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

It's so disappointing that this Crows Nest icon has been changed into the nasty experience it is today. The little snail was cheap and basic back in its day and the new owners of la grillarde should be ashamed. They have just taken over the premises and used someone's else's brand and reputation to hide their previous failure.
- confusion as you walk in the door. No one seems to know what they are doing.
- no service for 20 minutes and when you finally get to order some wine, they bring the wrong bottle and are again confused when you ask for the cab merlot on the menu, not what was presented. So confused they never bring another bottle of red wine back for the entire evening.
- 3 courses for $59 should have had alarm bells written all over it. The menu is basic and very underwhelming.
- garlic prawns were tasteless and dry
- steak was ok, not amazing. No mustards offered so had to ask. My father asked for french mustard and was told they only
had dijeon. Lol that was french last time I had it. Isn't this a french restaurant?
- other wine we brought was never refilled in our glasses we had to do this ourselves.
- the staff just ignore you and are in another world.
- they have an outside area which allows a true Ice cold gale to blow through the place. No matter how many times we asked for it to be closed the staff kept opening the door.
Would I go back. No chance in the world. Birthday dinner completely ruined by these amateur people.
Truly bad.

3  Thank Frenchbd
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have previously been to this restaurant and had no problems until this past occasion. I felt that the staff, and especially the owner Ann, were very rude when I advised them that I had a deal. I do not know why they offer the deals of they are going to treat the customers so rudely, we are still paying after all and they should not offer them if they do not want people to take advantage of it.
Food and service significantly worse then previous occasions, this can only be attributed to the managers, as managers should lead by example.
Very VERY unsatisfied.

2  Thank dp468
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband, our guest and I visited La Grillade for the first time last night. We were shown through to the garden area at the rear of the restaurant which was quiet and the tables a good distance apart which we appreciated. Our order was taken without much delay. We started with a baguette and asked for butter in lieu of oil and balsamic, but the latter was brought. We asked for this to be changed and it was promptly. A waitress brought a bottle of red wine, which actually belonged to another table! Our guest had kidneys which he said were OK, my husband had calamari and I had garlic prawns, which we both enjoyed. For mains we ordered pork belly, again only OK, along with medium rare steak (cooked to perfection) and duck with cherries. The cherries certainly were a little over powering and for my liking, made the dish too sweet. None of us had dessert. A coffee was brought to our table by another waitress, which again was not for us. Our guest ordered a short black with a jug of hot water, but the coffee was luke warm at best. My husband and I had no complaints regarding our coffee and tea respectively. The service initially was quite good, but deteriorated as the night wore on. We took a bottle of wine and were surprised that the corkage was $15, a little more than expected. Overall, we had a pleasant evening but it is the little things that could be improved.

1  Thank Janet1807