“Big "name", family style service, room service haphazard!”

The Savoy Double Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Double Bay
“Big "name", family style service, room service haphazard!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

From the reviews I was aware that the hotel was perhaps a little tired, but overall it wasn't that bad. Sure, it could do with being glammed up but it's in a good location and close to direct bus and train routes into Sydney and out to Bondi, as well as other locations.

We were originally allocated a 2 room family suite - I didn't like this at all, as it was straight off a central courtyard and no windows to the outside world. In fact, if you wanted the other guests to stare straight in from the small courtyard, then by all means, open the thick wooden shutters! Otherwise, you would have to keep them closed and not see daylight....

The reception staff were very helpful in changing our room, which unfortunately was a bit on the small side for four travellers. There was little storage in the bedroom and even less in the bathroom.

The room service was a bit sloppy and haphazard. We had random numbers of towels left out, some days 2, 3 or 4, sometimes had hand towels - sometimes didn't, sometimes floor towel - sometimes not.

Given the shortage of space I can't imagine that it was easy to clean once our 4 cases were out, but it was clear that the vacuuming was not done every day.

There was a good selection of toiletries in the bathroom.

The hotel offered wifi, but the one time I needed to use it, the member of staff on night duty did not know the code.... Mind you, if you are out and about in Double Bay, or if you sit out on the balcony at the end of the Courtyard area on level 1, you can pick up the free village wifi, as long as its between about 6am and midnight.

Taking everything into consideration though, it's not a bad place. Tired - yes, but friendly and helpful staff much appreciated.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Sydney
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was quite hesitant to book this hotel after reading some of the reviews but reluctantly booked in as it was the most convenient place to stay for my Sydney trip. It's not 5 star so travellers shouldn't expect 5 star. It markets itself as a 3.5 star hotel and that is exactly what it is. So the carpet was a bit frayed and the rooms were small but for $145 I didn't expect too much. The room was clean, the linen was clean and fresh, the reception staff were nice and it is in a great position in Double Bay, lots of shops and places to eat in walking distance.

This is a great hotel for a quick jaunt to Sydney and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Travelling from Queensland, we stayed at the Savoy Double Bay to attend my son's wedding. We travelled with two disabled people and were treated with the utmost respect and courtesey during our stay. The staff and owners went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The room was comfortabtle and adequate. The surrounds were great. I would definately stay there again. Thankyou guys.

Room Tip: phoned and explained our stiustion and were accomodated adequatley
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here for my wedding anniversary & was impressed with the location. Room was nice & nothing really to say bad. The hotel looks a bit tired in itself but still i felt that it was ok.
Lots of nice places to eat & drink around & taxi into Sydney is not much at all. Better here than in the hustle bustle of it all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I would not recommend this hotel unless you have to stay in this area. My room had clumps of hair in the bathrrom, bath, on the bed and other stuff showing they do not vacuum! I mentioned this every day and when I left after three days it still was not clean. The room was very noisy with people outside and traffic. Quite old furniture and fittings. The staff seemed generally uninterested and you felt like you were an imposition on them!

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the first floor as they have a longe area right outside the rooms, so very nois...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Desiree J

Travellers are raving about these Double Bay hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed at the Savoy Double Bay for two nights over the weekend just gone. That makes it our fourth visit to the hotel and were very satifised again . You get clean comfortable rooms at a very good price . All the staff are friendly and helpful.
The hotel is located in the lovely suburb of Double Bay which has some fine resturants and good shopping . It is well serviced by public transport making it easy to get into the city if you need to.
I'm already looking forward to our fifth visit

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at Savoy numerous times during this month, always booking one or two nights at last minute.

I have stayed only in standard (atrium) double rooms. The rooms are tired, that's a fact, as is the hotel itself - it could really use a little love.

For me it doesn't really matter, I don't go to hotels to stay in my room all day and see how many cracks I can find on the wall - I need a place to sleep my nights in and at daytime I'm out and about. As long as the room is clean, pillows are good and the sheets smell fresh when I return from exploring this beautiful country, I'm happy. Every time Savoy has met my requirements.

The location is really really good, Double Bay is perfect for someone who wants to stay away from the endless noise of the CBD. When you need to get to the city, you can walk (4 km), catch a bus, take a ferry or catch a train (Edgecliff station). Couldn't be any easier.

Staff is really friendly and helpful. They have always been willing to store my massive luggage for days after my check-out and they always make my day with their personalities.

For me Savoy works but I understand the reviews about the condition of the place and security (you can just walk in from the street, use the stairs and no one sees you). A friendly piece of advice: book one night first. If you can handle it, book more and enjoy the beauty of the Bay.

• Stayed June 2013
Kings Cross
Annam Apartments
Annam Apartments
#107 of 179 in Sydney

Been to The Savoy Double Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!