“Building with enormous amounts of character and friendly service”

Admiral Collingwood Lodge
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Fabulous, beautiful place to stay. Very obliging and caring owners Rob and Jen. Spotless accommodation, comfy beds, quiet and for those who admire historic buildings, this is the place to stay. Loved it, thanks. Liz (and family)

Room Tip: All are beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
averagebloke015, Manager at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2012

One of the best things about return guests at The Admiralty is that they become friends, rather than merely guests. We have been delighted to have Liz, here, initially on business and, later to be introduced to her whole family here on a subsequent pleasure trip.

We try our hardest, but it is not to everyone's taste - we seek to keep a homely atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Admiral Collingwood Lodge

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My first time writing a review on Trip Advisor, but I'm only doing so because of how bloody marvellous this place was! We stayed for just over a week, and found (after all the chat of Sydney being overpriced etc) it the best accommodation so far in our little NZ/Aus trip.

Jenn and his man (Admiral something?) were great, the rooms clean and very new, and it was great having a view of Sydney, a ferry to get there, but not having to be in the madness (like my last trip here 10 years ago, in a Bondi backpackers)!

Strongly recommend it! Shared bathrooms, but seriously charming. It was pretty quiet when I was there, but feel certain it wont last.

E.

Room Tip: We had one of the harbour view rooms. Worth it I reckon, if you're staying for a while
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eamon S
averagebloke015, Manager at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2012

One of the things Eamon seemed to enjoy about the Lodge is our proximity to the famous "PJs" - PJ Gallagher's Irish Pub, just two blocks from us on the corner of Victoria Road and Lyons Road.

Many of the staff are Irish, too, with accents to match. The Oysters Kilpatrick and Guinness Steak Pie (among the many other things) they serve in their excellent restaurant are truly excellent and they also have a small but well chosen wine list (as well as Guinness).

People boast about the 'cosmopolitan' nature of Kings Cross, but the little village of Drummoyne, only 15 minutes from the central business district, by bus or ferry, offers an extraordinary array of cuisines.

We have Italian, of course, as we neighbor the strong Italian communities of Leichhardt and Haberfield, with food ranging from our favorite, the fine dining cuisine of ECCO, with its superb harbor views, to Paulo's PIzza (a local institution). They even talk of Lyons Road as "Via Leone" - with an epoymous restaurant of that name, next to L'Angolo fine Italian take-away cuisine.

There are a wide variety of Thai restaurants, Vietnamese, Lebanese, a wonderful German Strudel cafe, a French bistro, Portuguese peri-peri chicken and Japanese sushi, soba and sashimi. We boast Sydney's best Moroccan restaurant, La Kasbah, with succulent lamb, beef or chicken tagines. If in a hurry we have various fast foods like McDonalds & Subway. One can enjoy Australian dining at the Drummoyne Sailing Club with great north eastern views of the harbor and The Seven Deadly Sins looking over Iron Cove to the magnificent nineteenth century Italianate building of Callen Park.

We even have a Texas Barbeque and spare ribs joint.

Unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) Eamon was not here for St Patrick's Day. That is
when PJs serve Guinness at half price.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed at Admiral Collingwood Lodge for 3 nights and I must say that it had added so much flavour to our Sydney experience. Located at one of the streets in Drummoyne, it allowed us a sneak peek into the lives of the locals in a quiet neighbourhood. This would not have been possible if we had stayed in a city hotel. The lodge is also only a short walk from both the wharf and the bus stop, where access to the city area comes conveniently. Not only that, Drummoyne wharf is a place with a lovely view of the Parramatta River. We spent one morning catching the sunrise from there. It was beautiful. Breakfast places are also available within short walking distances and I must recommend Copo Cafe & Diner, which is one of the places listed on the directory provided by the Lodge.

The room we were offered is all comfortable and cozy, with an attached sink which we found rather useful. It is also equipped with all the things you need (TV, heater, kettle etc) and free wi-fi is available 24/7. Although the bathrooms are shared, they were always available - clean, nice and friendly. I also liked the design of the lodge, especially the kitchen.

Last but definitely not the least, I must thank Rob and Jennifer (the Managers of the lodge) for their wonderful hospitality during our short stay there. They were really friendly, warm and helpful and it felt like we were at a homestay. Just check with them if you need any advice for your itinerary or if you need any extra information :)

I would definitely stay at Admiral Collingwood Lodge if I do visit Sydney again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Found this hidden gem by chance. The facilities are very stylish, and the hospitality is second to none. Will definately return many times.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
averagebloke015, Manager at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2012

Wynne and her friends arrived utterly bedraggled as a Sydney rainstorm did its best to drown them. However nothing could drown their enthusiasm. We wanted them to stay for ever as they lit up the Lodge and our lives.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at this charming lodge for three nights recently and highly recommend it. It is a beautiful building in a quiet street, with very affable hosts. Our room was clean, comfy, well fitted out- (even had bathrobes!), and the bathrooms are easily accessible with modern facilities. A short walk to the supermarket and bakeries, we cooked for ourselves in the fully-equipped lodge kitchen a couple of times.So close to the city and ferries/rivercats this gem will not be hidden for long. We will most definitely be return customers.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nella2012
averagebloke015, Manager at Admiral Collingwood Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2012

We love our country visitors. So straight-forward and easy to deal with - and they say such nice things. They also kindly fail to mention the wretched onion weed in our garden, against which we are committed to a desperate war of attrition to the death and not (yet) winning.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed for two weeks in the Admiral Collingwood Lodge and had a very good time.
Everything is recently renovated and new. The bathrooms are modern and clean. Small lovely details everywhere made us feel like home. To explore the city it is just a few minutes walk to the ferry and a big shoppingcenter is in walking distance too.
We definitly would stay there again!
Bas & Anne from Germany

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bastian R
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I go to Sydney fairly often on biz and I guess I get tired of staying in overpriced, generic hotels like the Westin. I was referred to this place by another american friend who had stayed there recently and raved about it.

The room was huge and has real charm. Lots of old world charm but with modern convenience. Incredible views of the city at sunset and sunrise. I would happily stay for months as it felt like a home. Staying there made me realize how awesome Sydney is.

I took the ferry to my firm's offices in Circular Quay every morning. It was a sub-15 minute ride on the ferry and the wifi was super convenient. What a refreshing way to start a busy working day. The ferry is just a short stroll down the hill from the Admiral. Sure beats taking the subway!

The whole stay was relaxed and quiet. Everything available and well maintained - washing machines, kitchen etc. I think it had been renovated recently. The rooms don't have ensuites but there seemed to be plenty of bathrooms and the one I used always spotless and modern. I was the only person using it from what I could tell.

I also went on some great hikes around the harbor foreshore. It's really close to balmain which is full of awesome restaurants and bars.

What could be improved? I guess having a gym there would've been nice, but running along the harbor definitely made up for it!

This place was amazing value particularly compared to staying at a hotel and a million times more relaxing and authentic. Double thumbs up from NYC! Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank hugh_uws
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drummoyne
Song Hotel Sydney
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
#104 of 178 in Sydney
Hotel Challis
#48 of 178 in Sydney

Been to Admiral Collingwood Lodge? Share your experiences!