“DULWICH HELL LODGE - COME AND GET BED BUGS AT BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICES!”
Review of Dulwich Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dullwich Hill
Dulwich Hill
“DULWICH HELL LODGE - COME AND GET BED BUGS AT BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICES!”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

This must be the most unclean, unsecured, mould abound, non friendly poor excuse for accommodation I have ever seen! Stay away unless you want a visit to the zoo! The owner of the dulwich hill lodge should be sued for false advertising and made to stay here for good as punishment! Stay right away.

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank hellholes

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2011

There are few words that can describe the emotions that ran through me upon arriving at Dulwich Hill. Having booked several weeks previously and been assured (Yes assured. I have email proof) that checkin was between 2pm till 7pm, we arrived at 2pm to an open reception door, a closed reception and several smokers peering at us from the hotel veranda. After waiting awkwardly discussing option in the 'lobby' an unshaven man approached us and asked us what we wanted. Pulling out the Wotif receipt and handing it to him he pretended to read it before saying 'Looks like it's all in order BUT I don't know where they are going to put you.' Confused and slightly dazed by the events unfolding and the dizzying heat resulted in a mostly mumbled reply from me asking what should we do. 'Go get something to eat or drink and come back later...' was the reply. Leaving the 'lobby' we felt the heavy eyes of the smokers as we walked up the street to find the promised sustenance.

The proximity to two very nice coffee shops and a train station, along with the price, may be the only positives to draw from the Dulwich experience. After wondering past several small shops (liquor, groceries, newspaper and many closed stores) we settled into a nice cafe and immediately discussed our experience so far. About an hour later, feeling we had well worn out our welcome in the cafe we walked back to Dulwich to find the reception fully closed and the smokers still there. Luckily the man who we talked to before returned and reading our faces, pointed us in the direction of a door on the outside of the reception block. Hesitantly we softly knocked on said door and a clean shaven man emerged from the darkness (all the windows had newspaper over them). He read over our receipt and showed us to our room under the stairs and gave us a key to the front door (which was never needed as the door was never locked) and our own room (thankfully the lock worked, we tested it several times to check).

The room that we were given resided next to the toilet which was both a blessing and a curse. It meant that we could avoid the household if we needed to use the bathroom, but it also meant that the household had to walk past our room. The bathroom was incredibly sticky and on the walls was some blue god-knows-what [picture attached] that was speckled across the room. The shower drain was a hole and the toilet's inner lip was cracked so that water shot in several directions whenever the toilet was flushed. This provided a unique game but did not improve the quality of our stay. The bedroom itself has 6 bunk beds for the two of us which seemed like a major waste of space but who am I to complain with 3 beds to myself? The sheets were dirty and unwashed (I found several long brown hairs in mine and elected to sleep without them) and provided little protection from anything. The TV in our room had to be moved onto one of the beds to reach the powerpoint and the arial provided a terrible broadcast of the Australian Open. After hiding our valuable possessions we decided to explore the house.

A sign previously unnoticed outside our door, possibly placed after our arrival, provided an insight into the world of a longterm Dulwich hill resident [Picture attached]. The kitchen is spacious and stinks of some horrible event which cannot be imagined and we didn't adventure any further [Too scared to take a picture]. After half an hour we summoned up the guts to explore again and discovered piles of old free music magazines which we gleefully took back to our room. These magazines provided a simple distraction from the world outside our room for several hours until we left to attend a concert in Newtown (Crystal Castles if you must know).

Returning around midnight by train we walked the 500 metres or so to Dulwich and found the door still unlocked but used the card anyway (convincing ourselves there was no chance that anyone could randomly walk into the hotel, although only a hip-high fence separated the actual front door from the street so why have a 'locked' door?). Crawling into our possibly bug riddled sheets we wondered aloud about the possibility that someone would stab us with needles, knives or generally assault us during the night, eventually falling asleep.

Awaking an hour from the checkout time we took our time checking ourselves for injuries and searching for hidden valuables. Realising that my shirt was still drenched from the night before attempted to dry it using the facilities available. The standard dollar-dryers and washers were being used so I was forced to reply on the large air conditioning units outside our window which made me wonder where the air conditioning went... certainly not to the hotel. Lumping our used sheets onto one of the beds we cleaned the room back to it's original standard (poor).

Passing the reception we realised that it was now open at 11am. After handing in the key we were asked "What room youse guys stay in?" Without making eye contact we told him and quickly vanished from the area.

In summary, Dulwich is well situated and is incredibly cheap. Examining the experience in any other area can only bring strange memories and a sense of dissatisfaction of the highest order. If you're looking to save a buck and gain a priceless anecdote then this is the place to stay. I can imagine it featuring heavily in some Australian spinoff of 'Fear Factor' in fact. If you want accommodation with any normal standards or cleanliness, customer service or overal quality. For the love of God, spend another $50 and stay at the Formule 1.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank I-am-the-Cam
dulwichhill, Manager at Dulwich Hill, responded to this review, 5 March 2011
You keep mentioning "hotel" in your review but the truth is that Dulwich Hill Lodge is a budget residential long term property,The facilities are very basic and at no time do we try to be anything else.I believe for $16 p/night we offer a very good deal.I do regret that you did not feel comfortable for your one night stay.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2010

This is by far the worst place i have ever stayed in! It was a disgrace! The bathroom semlt of urine and there was major major soap scum in the crack of the walls and the place was just a mess!!!!! The kitchen was the worse i have ever seen, there was food on the floors rotten fish in the fridge and the temp was 4c it should be sitting at -6c and the toaster was burnt and the microwaves have to glass plates in them! There were insects everywhere and their were stains etc etc.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND DONT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!
BED BUGS
INSECTS EVERYWHERE
UNCLEAN BATHROOM, KITCHENS, ROOM ETC

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank KSHAN
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I have NEVER stayed in a place so vile and discusting. My girlfriend and I arrived to be greeted by some old witch lady who was rude and unobliging. I was then sent up a set of stairs, with no offered help from the reception lady. We found a cleaner in the hall who showed us our room. It consisted of an old bed, two sun deck chairs (you know those dodgy white ones?) and a old classroom table. We tried to be positive, because it was $50 a night. But it just got worse and worse. We tried to cook dinner one night, only to be approached by a man with wine stained teeth asking me if I was "a lesbiana" then he FOLLOWED US TO OUR ROOM. The next night we thought we would watch a movie, only to find a fat man lying on the couch surrounded by a pool of his own vomit. He stayed there all night.
One day we locked our keys in the room, and it took half an hour to find a cleaner to help us.
We almost didnt get our deposit back for the key, as the receptionist wasnt there. IT WAS A DISGRACE. Oh, and not to mention, my gf got bed bug bites! STAY AWAY

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lauren_d8
Carlton, Melbourne
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I'm going to dine out on stories and the photos of this place for years to come. Don't be fooled by the lovely pictures on the official website. This place may have been charming and clean back in its YHA days but in July 2009 it was like holidaying in a garbage dump inside of a war zone. The place was filthy. The showers filled with mould and months worth of soap scum...handy if you forget to bring your own toiletries! The kitchen faired no better with the walls coated with grease, the sinks filled with days old unwashed dishes and the bins overflowing with garbage. I didn't even bother trying out the fridges, they looked and smelled liked they' hadn't been cleaned in months and besides the residents were all complaining that their food was regularly being stolen. This isn't surprising considering the easy access to the property, with no security and the open front door and back gate 24-7. Another highlight of my stay included the loud and regular early morning parting which on one occassion was accompanied by a smashed window followed by a visit by the local police (the second time this had occured in the past month I was told by other visitors). These events at least added to the atmosphere of the place, because in terms of entertainment there was little else available....no foxtel, internet, bar-b-que area or table tennis as promised on their website, just an old TV with 2 poorly tuned in channels! Now I'll confess this place did have one thing going for it, it was close to the airport making it a quick escape when my trip to Sydney was over. Live and Learn, you defintely get what you pay for in this instance, very cheap and very nasty.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Carlton_Tripper
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We booked this hostel because there had been some good reviews when it was a YHA hostel. However, when we arrived we discovered that it was no longer part of the YHA and had recently changed ownership. We had paid a deposit but the receptionist informed us that it was a booking fee not a deposit. However, the room rate was cheaper than we had anticipated so we didn't make a fuss. The receptionist was struggling with the computer system and gave us an horrendous room which looked out onto a brick wall and had pipes running along the ceiling. Also, when the caretaker opened the door he found that the previous occupant's things were still strewn over the bed and floor. He had to clear the room and do a quick cleaning job before we could use it. We had booked and paid for 3 weeks and it was only after a few days that my partner managed to persuade the receptionist to give us a better room. The caretaker and cleaner were unhappy with the new owners and whilst we were there the caretaker left his on-site accommodation which meant that the hostel had no one in charge overnight. The cleaner spent most of her time complaining and not cleaning so the level of cleaning was poor. The kitchen was left open all night so anyone could help themselves to your food and drink and they did - we went to have some wine only to find it had been drunk and replaced with water. The receptionist was obviously in the wrong job as she had nil customer service skills and kept odd hours so anyone arriving at reception early evening could not get in. Our main reason for staying there was so we could park our hire car whilst we were looking for a campervan to buy in order to spend a year travelling around Australia and there was plenty of on-street free parking. Also there was a bus stop outside the hostel with good links into the city centre.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank unicorn1
UK
Reviewed 7 May 2009

This hostel is like staying in hell. The receptionist is utterly rude and like Mrs Trunchball from Roald Dahl. Reception door is left unlocked at night and so is the lodge so anyone can walk around freely, security is dreadful. The kitchen is disgusting like a scene out of Kill Bill. The night manager spent his time rolling cigerettes with some of the younger travellers staying with him so the hostel smelt like cigerettes..perhaps illegal as well!! The bathroom (one between many people) smelt like urine. The lockers were broken, the rooms were outdated. I think this hostel takes advantage of travellers with little money or without English as their first language. May be cheap but I wouldn't stay there again for free. The location may be on a bus route but it's in Dulwich Hill a something of nothing suburb of Sydney. I love Sydney and spent 4 mths there so I know what I'm talking about. I thoroughly recommend NOT staying here no matter how cheap, pay an extra $50 a week, go to a suburb like Newtown and you're stay in Sydney will be 10x better. Trust me!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
The Urban Newtown
#1 of 1 in Newtown
Newtown
Australian Sunrise Lodge

Been to Dulwich Hill? Share your experiences!