“Great accommodation and excellent start to living in a new city”

Greenwich Village Accommodation
Malaysia
“Great accommodation and excellent start to living in a new city”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I was moving to Sydney for work and had to stay at a temporary accommodation while searching for a more permanent place. Rental in Sydney is really expensive and as someone who just started work, I was reluctant to spend too much - so I was relived when I found GVA.

Firstly, GVA is conveniently located - 10 minutes away from St Leonards station. Secondly, it is also reasonably priced. At the time of my stay, I was fortunate to be able to charge the winter special that included breakfast and dinner for a single room. The rooms were well-equipped with wardrobe, desk, chair and bed. The place is well-kept - clean shared toilets, single gendered floors (other than the 3rd floor). Also, the people who work there were extremely friendly and helpful, which makes the stay even more pleasant. Best of all, it was a great place to make new friends as I settled into a new city! Many people I met there were on internships and others, students from Macquarie University.

One thing I would have liked was hot breakfast during weekdays, freshly cooked vegetables for dinner and a more comfortable bed (it was too soft for my liking). The food was generally quite decent, more hits than misses, and the desserts are always a crowd pleaser.

For a building that has been around for more than 20 years, it is well-maintained, with a renovated TV room and table tennis table for the occasional evening recreation.

For an affordable short stay away that is not too far away from the city, and a place to meet great friends - I would highly recommend Greenwich Village Accommodation!

Room Tip: If you stay on the first floor, you'll get to access the internet from your room (albeit a weak...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
517TomL, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thanks so much for your comments sunnyseow38. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Next trip please mention the mattress and we'll give you a new, firmer one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I am a consultant and my work involves travelling in and out of Australia. Over the past few years, when I have to be in Sydney for a few weeks to a few months, I stayed in GVA. GVA is a budget student accommodation with interesting students from all over the world and it would be a great place for travellers or students who are new to Sydney; you will never get lonely in GVA as there are always interesting people to talk to. I would recommend anyone who is looking for budget accommodation and do not mind sharing a bathroom or a bit of noise here and there to consider GVA. GVA is also in a great location and spacious when compared to most budget accommodation in Sydney. The GVA team is friendly and helpful. As for the food, it is difficult to please everyone every night but we all had our favourite days and I never felt that I went hungry. Also, I have an allergy and the chef was always very good at making something special for me. The bathrooms are cleaned every morning - sometimes not to the standard I would like but any time I brought this to the attention of the management, action was immediately taken. In fact, the services provided by the team and the condition of the place have improved a lot over the years. My next trip back to Sydney will be coming up in a couple of weeks and I will certainly be staying back in GVA. Really where in Sydney can you get such value for money?

Hi to the GVA Team and see you all soon!
E

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Returnee1819
517TomL, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thanks returnee1819. We get loads of guests returning year after year, using us as their home in Sydney. So glad you like it here and we all look forward to seeing you back at GVA soon
Sydney
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My name's Emily and I would recommend anyone to stay at GVA. I stayed at GVA for 3 weeks temporarily before I moved closer to my college. I had such a wonderful time at GVA. For my first time out of home I was very nervous however I very quickly settled in at GVA and I made some really lovely friends and looked forward to seeing them at dinner. I really enjoyed all the meals provided and I was never left hungry with the large variety that was offered to us. I felt really at home and happy with the surroundings and the bathrooms were always clean and tidy. When I was packing up to leave I was quite upset to, however I know that I will always be welcomed back to GVA and I now know that if I am ever stuck for accomodation in Sydney I can look forward to going back to GVA :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Emily M
517TomL, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post a review Emily M. We're really happy that you had such a positive experience. Living outside of your own home for the first time can be a nerve-wracking experience and I'm so glad that you felt so at home here. Hope to see you again soon.
Tom
GVA Manager
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My name is Jeremy and I lived at gva for a year while I was studying in Surry Hills in Sydney.
On my first day there, I was given an exceptionally warm welcome by the staff and given a detailed tour of all the facilities, travel options, places to eat etc which I found very useful coming from a small country town.
The facilities at GVA more than met my expectations, while the Cinema room is a standout, the Ping Pong room, pool, large grassy areas and large common room are all excellent - there is always something to cater to any specific activity you wish to pursue.
I made some of the greatest friends of my life in GVA. Australians and internationals, I found Most of them to be friendly, engaging and a lot of fun.
In terms of cleanliness, the dedicated cleaners do a great job keeping the place spotless, the only real issue I ever had was the sometimes strange paint choices used in the bathrooms. I have heard many complaints being made about the bathrooms, but for me, the toilets always worked, there was always hot water and if there was any problems, they were rectified very quickly. The bathrooms were always at a satisfactory level to me. If you are a young person who is studying, wants to meet great new people from all over the world and have some of the best times of your life, I personally recommend staying at GVA. I have loved every second of my time there.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank SandryJ
517TomL, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thanks very much for your kind words Jeremy - I'm very happy that you enjoyed your year with us. And I'll see what I can do about the new sunny yellow bathrooms - maybe a bit too bright first thing in the morning!
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I lived in GVA for 7 months! After every journey I came back there just because I love this place and the people! The room, shower and kitchen is clean also the stuff is friendly and helpfull! The food is not the best but everybody knows its not a 5-star hotel:) If you want to have a great time in Sydney stay in GVA!:) and just for to say you will have noise everywhere thats normal if a lot of people living at the same place... Cheers and I miss GVA a lot

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank 111222bu
Tom L, Manager at Greenwich Village Accommodation, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you 111222bu. Really glad you enjoyed your 7 months with us. Hope to see you again soon.
Tom,
Sydney
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The joint is an absolute dive, the rooms are disgusting and the furniture is old and broken. I ran night clubs for years but the noise never ends and no discipline or respect for studying or for those who have to go to work. Food is included in the deal but don't get to carried away, the menu is nothing like the one advertised on the website, sausages are cut in half, one piece of bacon, portion control from the cooks is like they will be whipped if they put too much on the plate so less is best. There is no supervision or security if people are playing music all night, drinking or smoking dope there is no one to go to to ask them to turn it down or go outside (and thats ok if thats what you do, just do it with discretion)... Bathrooms are dirty old and dilapidated, just like the rest of the place. The place needs new furniture everywhere old torn lounges, internet is really slow or non existant... Choose somewhere else if you are older than 30 do not even consider it!

Room Tip: Even if you ask for a non smoking room you won't get one!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Dean E
Thanks for your useful (and creative) feedback Dean. January in Sydney is always busy and the students are mostly on holiday. We do our best to keep noise to a minimum with a dedicated night time security guard. GVA is budget student accommodation - we encourage any potential visitors to call or email if in doubt whether it is suitable for their stay in Sydney. Thank you for the 5 stars for our location - we love it here on the North Shore of Sydney Harbour.
Tom,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed in GVA for 5 months whiles studying abroad. I have met some of the greatest people in this building. There is such diversity that you meet people from all cultures, all around the world. Sure, we partied at night, but the 10:30 PM curfew was strictly enforced by GVA security, and we therefore had to either return to our rooms, or continuing partying away from the neighborhood. We chose to continue partying in the city. Tom is very strict about the curfew and the noise level after 10:30 PM, and will give residents a written warning for inappropriate behavior and/or noise levels after hours. People of all ages live here- from the university students, to the young working professionals, to even some adult/middle aged people. Some people have even lived there for years.

The food wasn't always great, BUT there were several nights that you definitely did not want to miss dinner. Rex and the kitchen staff are great and get crafty every now and then.

GVA was such a great place to live. Awesome experience. I wish that chapter in my life never ended.

Room Tip: Third floor was the BEST. but going up and down stairs gets tiring
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Theresa S
Thanks so much Theresa for your glowing review. You obviously 'got' what we're trying to do here - build a community for young people from all over the world. We don't always get the balance right but we'll keep on trying our best.
Thanks again,
Tom
Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenwich
Hotel Urban St Leonards
#3 of 3 in St Leonards
Quest St Leonards
Quest St Leonards
#1 of 1 in St Leonards

Been to Greenwich Village Accommodation? Share your experiences!