“Don't know why there are such bad reviews”
Review of Addison's on Anzac

Addison's on Anzac
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kensington
“Don't know why there are such bad reviews”
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel as it was close to my son's apartment whom I was visiting. I read the reviews after I booked and was very nervous. The hotel is older but the room was clean and had a pleasant smell. I was on the first floor and could not smell the restaurant downstairs. The sheets were clean and the towels thick and in good condition. The shower had good water pressure. I agree that there were only a microwave and only enough crockery and cutlery for 2 people. The room was very quiet and I had 3 very peaceful nights of sleep. I went to Corona cafe next door for breakfast and Jack's Cafe the second morning, both were fine. The third morning I had breakfast in my room with well cooked scrambled eggs and a generous amount of bacon. The staff were very helpful as I left my iPhone and iPad chargers in the room. I rang them and they collected them for me and kept them at reception. If you want a reasonably priced hotel near the airport and transport to the city I can recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Usually travelling with tight iteneraries and therefore rarely staying in one place for longer than two nights, this booking was for five nights - and such a disappointment on all fronts! The building does not look appealing to start with, and the run-down look continues inside. The ground floor is dominated by the noise and smell of the Chinese restaurant (that has some partnership with the hotel), while further up (our room was on the first floor) a different, dull and mothy smell took over. Upon stepping into the room the first time, it felt as if it was cockroach heaven with NO chance on earth to ever find a good night's sleep. The bathroom was tiny and very old, with inacceptibly dirty vents, and the wardrobe doors came off when trying to slide them.
The only reason for booking this room in the first place was their website info: fully equipped and self-contained kitchenette. Ironically, this turned out to be a sink, a little bar fridge, a microwave, and a very rudimentary set of cutlery. All of which we could have had in hotels with 'correct' website info!!! Please DO NOT support this establishment and find yourselves a nicer place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank veepka

Travellers are raving about these Kensington hotels

Utah
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We got this stay from Priceline.com to be close to the Sydney Airport for our flight in the morning. They had free parking, which was something I was looking for. The staff was real nice and the place appeared clean enough for just a sleep over. My wife was nervous about it before we saw the 2 inch cockroach appear out from the refrigerator. would have stepped on him, if I had been a bit more stealthy. I told the desk and they let us move rooms, We were both glad to be gone in the morning. The room had some dishes and a microwave which was handy for the free coffee and cream in the morning. There is a pretty good looking Chinese restaurant out front. but we did not have time to try it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StephenUSA
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Needs refurbishing.

This place is not all bad, the rooms are terrible and needs refurbishing, my bed had a bedspring poking through the mattress, luckily I was alone and it was a double bed. The fridge door would not close properly and the cupboard doors were falling off. There is also a shortage of light in the room unless you open the main curtains and let the world look in.
It was however quite clean it just looked tatty. My room overlooked the main road and the sun comes straight in through the sliding doors in the morning, which is nice if you want to sit and watch the traffic go by on the veranda, but the sun heats the room very quickly.
My main concern with this room was that if you had a hot shower and left the bathroom door open the steam would set the fire alarm off and call out the fire brigade. There are warning signs but it is at your cost.
The location is quite good and there are a lot of shops and eating places around for a short walk and there is a Asian restaurant attached to the hotel, I didn’t eat there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank wizard60
Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We have just arrived home from an overnight stay at this old dirty motel. I feel like kicking myself because I did not read any of the Tripadvisor reviews prior to booking, we were just stuck for somewhere to stay and running out of time. Big lesson learn't.
We have never stayed anywhere as dirty, even in third world country's, the bathroom was a disgrace, there are years of filth built up in the corners and on the tiles, there was even the soap and wrapper from the previous occupant still in the soap holder. The accumulated dust on the exhaust vent had just about blocked it completely. The windows had filthy hand prints all over, the floor was worn and dirty and there were empty sugar satchets sitting on a shelf. Pulling back the bed cover to get into bed revealed a pair of dirty socks on the floor next to the bed. There wasn't even a spoon to stir a cup of coffee. If we had paid $90 we would still have felt cheated, but we paid $150. We may need counceling.
Just the state of the stairwell sent alarm bells, the dirt is old enough to vote.

They advertise themselves as a Hotel and a sign outside says "Serviced Apartments". I don't know what the "Service" part entails as it certainly doesn't include cleaning, and it certainly ain't no hotel folks! It is a very old, worn, filthy Motel.
Just to add insult to injury, the rooms are noisy, if facing Anzac Parade, even noisier.

AVOID.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car, there is no chance anyone's car is as dirty as those rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TimberBlueMountains
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My friend booked this hotel and after reading all the bad reviews I was really not looking forward to staying there. However, I was very pleasantly surprised - the check-in was fast and friendly, and room11 was nice- just like on the hotel's website. The cooking facilities were not enabled but those weren't included in the price or in the room description. the bed was comfortable enough, teh aircon was working fine too. There were notes on the wall about keeping the bathroom door closed while showering not to trigger the fire alarm but it was exactly the same in the two other, twice as expensive hotels in Randwick/Kensington area that we stayed at. And showering with closed door is not that big a deal really, is it?! There are plenty of eateries in the area and lots of buses to take you anywhere is Sydney. Not to mention Peter's of Kensington, which is walking distance! I think the hotel is good value for money for $90/night. Its not 5*, but good accommodation for the price.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ancsi50
Reviewed 15 September 2012

this is by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. with the money i paid i would have been better off in a caravan. the room was filthy and falling apart the bed was like sleeping on the floor. i was avoiding going back there to sleep at night. i shant go there again and recomend no one else go there .

Room Tip: try a back packers
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Majmad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kensington
Inner South
Meriton Serviced Apartments, Waterloo
Royal Hotel at Randwick
#7 of 11 in Randwick
Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee
Coogee
Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments

Been to Addison's on Anzac? Share your experiences!