“Disapointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kensington
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Disapointed”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We recently stayed for 2 nights due to an event in the area. After reading reviews I was extremely concerned. On arrival I was very disappointed to see that all the reviews had not prompted management to clean the property. I work in a hotel in Canberra and would not expect guests to pay for old food in the microwave, blood spots on the woodwork in the bathroom, faeces on the wall next to toilet, skirting boards, carpets, glass doors and door tracks that haven't been cleaned in months. On a positive note the breakfast was nice (wouldn't want to see the kitchen though). Staff were nice (though I would be embarrassed to work there). It would be a reasonable property if cleaned up.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked 3 nights in this hotel because it was close to what we want. This hotel is one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed. Disgusting, smelly and very dirty. I found blood stains on the bedspread, and it was smelly and looks like it has not been washed for decades. The pillows were disgusting. The foam were all broken inside. I would throw them in the bin. The blankets in the cupboard were filthy and full of dust. The carpets in the room and outside had not been vacuummed for a long time. The bathroom walls and shower curtain were mouldy. No shampoo. If you used a cup, it does not get cleaned. The artificial plant in the reception is full of dust. I certainly will not recommend this hotel. This is certainly not a 3 star hotel but not even good for 1 star. Stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Seyfil

Travellers are raving about these Kensington hotels

Reviewed 19 June 2013

This would have to be one of the worst Hotels I have stayed in. No lamp shade on the bedside light fitting,no bottle opener, no toaster, the fire alarm sensor had been covered in tin foil, the room was dirty, they didn't sevice the room on our last day. The hallway has never been vacuumed, an empty bottle of beer lay in the hotel driveway for 3 days. The Tv reception was lousy and there was no free wifi . In short this place should be demolished.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Billieheeny
Gymea, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I will never stay at this hotel ever again. Now I know why their was no photos on the net of the rooms. Used soap on the shower floor. Air conditioning didn't work. Rather have slept in my car.
The hotel needs a full make over of internal and externals areas. The room rate is too high for the level of accomodation offered.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Narelle G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Where do I start! What's right with this place? The TV is new!. The cleaning lady who came to check our towels was lovely! The young man at reception in the morning was friendly. The restaurant is fantastic. (not sure if it's run by the same people). I'm afraid that's it.

The young man at reception when we arrived late in the evening was curt and surley and quite rude - most unfriendly at each occassion we ran into him.

And on we go!. You walk into reception and think - this is nice. Until you start ascending the stairs. Oh god!! The place is filthy, smelly, the carpet in the hallway sticky. The stair rails and doors have 10 years of dirt and grime stuck to them.

When we got to our room, we nearly walked out - there and then - except it was nearly midnight. The walls were covered in water streaks like they were weeping. The gold lamae curtains hung with half the clips on and half off. The kitchenette sink Flickmixer virtually comes out of it's hole and leans side ways. The cupboards, benchtops and surfaces are chipped and marked. The basin in the bathroom cracked. The bed was like a rock! There were 2 pillows and I'm sure the sponge cake I bake is thicker.

The chance meeting I had with an extemely large cockroach ended in his demise in the track of the sliding door. It was so big, I'm sure it growled at me!!!! He is still there...

The long life milk in the fridge was out of date. The lovely cleaning lady replaced it in the morning.

We were there with quite a number of other people in other rooms - so we know for a fact that this is not a one off room - their rooms were all like that. One of the other rooms even had an airconditioner that leaked and flooded the bunk bed.

We booked this venue (without Checking TripAdvisor - which I never do), because it was the only thing near the venue we were attending.

We booked this through Agoda and paid a whopping $155 per night - that puts salt in the wouund. This hotel is rated a 3 star. Not sure who does the ratings but they should be sacked!

My recommendation is - PLEASE DON'T DO IT - take a Taxi and travel a bit further away.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Laine23
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Pros: close to UNSW, racecourse; balconies are a rare and very welcome amenity in a Sydney hotel; Chinese restaurant downstairs is FANTASTIC

Cons: rooms very average and vary widely in amenities; staff pretty unfriendly; average cleanliness; beds very uncomfortable; breakfast pretty poor

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Stephie_Roro
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I made the mistake of booking my wife and kids in this dump before I read the reviews - it was the closest we could get to a particular venue. What a shame they stayed. It would have been worth losing the deposit.

The room was old, tired and filthy. The floors were sticky and the place smelled of mould. The kids wouldn't sleep in the beds because the sheets were stained, and the curtains looked like they had blood spatters on them. The sliding door to the balcony wouldn't lock and the walls were filthy.

Room Tip: Don't even consider it. AVOID. The photos on the website DO NOT reflect the quality of the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kensington
Royal Hotel at Randwick
Meriton Suites Waterloo
#23 of 178 in Sydney
Coogee
Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee

Been to Addison's on Anzac? Share your experiences!