“I would never stay here! DO NOT BOOK! It is disgusting and dirty.”

Manly Oceanside Accommodation
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Manly
Sydney, Australia
“I would never stay here! DO NOT BOOK! It is disgusting and dirty.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I booked online and having seen the location of the accommodation I thought it would be ok for just a 1 night stop before I drove up the coast. Upon arrival I was waiting at the desk around 15 mins to check in and the woman on the desk walked past me twice completely ignoring me before eventually checking me in, I paid and was given a key to room 5 and told where it was. I had booked a 6 share dorm room and as I have been travelling for the last 10 months I accept that many dorm rooms are untidy that's to be expected but what I walked into was a joke.
The room was stinking as soon as I opened the door I noticed, the carpet was covered in dirt, the sheets and towels were badly stained, the plaster was coming off the walls, there was obviously 2 men living in the room which is fine however there were empty beer bottles all over the floor, the kitchenette was filthy, the sink full of dirty dishes, porridge all over the side, even the kettle was filthy.
As you can imagine the bathroom was no better, dirty towels on the floor, shower head hanging off, mud on the shower floor, the toilet looked like it had never been cleaned either.

There was no way I would ever have stayed there even for 1 night. I went straight back to reception and handed the key back telling the woman what I thought of the place, she immediately have me a full refund and it was clear she had heard it all before and didn't care.

I hope nobody else books here and has to stay in such unsanitary conditions, I luckily found somewhere else to stay but would have rather slept in my car than there.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nichop92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Usually when I travel for work I stay in comfortable hotels, but my new job has their head office near Manly. They put me up nearby, and being one of the first Melbourne employees they managed to pick Manly Oceanside Accomodation.

When I arrived my heart sank, as I knew this was not the kind of place I would normally stay for work. But, I shrugged and thought "life is an experience right?". Well, even with lowering my expectations I found this place to be terrible. Here's why:

- Don't tell your patrons you have been upgraded when clearly the place is not an upgrade.
- The room lights were not working properly. They had a lamp in the room to make up for the poor electricals.
- My room was small, had no desk, water from the tap wasn't clear.
- The lady who took over at reception had a sour demeanour, asking for anything appeared to be really putting her out.

I spent as much time out as possible, and left early in the morning. When I left there were people complaining about their stay. While I can't comment for them, it seems consistent with my experience.

Not only would I not stay here again, but I would not recommend it to ANYONE who is even looking just for some cheap place to put their head. I am fairly certain that any other place in the area of the same price or less, will be infinitely better in terms of all-round quality.

(I've since advised my work place never to put me up here again.)

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel/motel/cardboardbox even.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank nigelhedges

Travellers are raving about these Manly hotels

Canberra
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Worst place on the planet. I'd rather stay in a shoebox with the mother in law. Room was dirty. No towels until the next morning. Then towels arrived with stain on them. Shower screen wouldn't slide properly. Toilet to close to shower. Plug wrong size for sink. Fridge was warm, checked to see it it was tunings, and it was. Changed seeing to make colder. No change. Ah the smell of must in the morning. ........

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mugundy
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Bed had broken springs. The TV did not work and there was no microwave which was advertised as available. The only window opened directly on to the patio where other guests stayed laughing and drinking at night. The air conditioning sounded like a VERY loud lawnmower. Despite checking out and asking for a refund, not forthcoming.
The owners are trading on the fact that accommodation in Manly is overpriced and definitely poor value compared with all the other places we stayed in Australia. Definitely try somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Only ever agree to pay after you have viewed the room. Huge variation in quality, some just about a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D W
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This place is an absolute dump!!!!! I felt like I was in a nightmare. I would never stay here again I wouldn't even let a a animal stat here it is by far the worst place I've ever come across and I advise anyone. Who is considered staying here please look else where!!! There is mould everywhere no privacy you have pierce talking outside your window all night no quiet! It is not even close to clean! Over charged hostel

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lmsssss
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently stayed at this venue - on arrival and entering my room the smell was almost overwhelming - the screen door to the balcony had no fly wire and no lock, exposed electrical wires through an untagged power board and more. I asked for be changed to a different room and there were none available - did note though that 2 others rooms on the same floor had their doors wide open (airing too I think) with no guests staying in them.

I was away from my room all the next day and arriving back found it wide open for anyone to walk in with all my possessions. That was the last draw, I packed and checked out.

It was nothing like what I expected from what was shown on the web and I relayed this to the staff. I agree with Lynne53565 review and am also logging complaints with Consumer Affairs and Booking.com - very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Christine W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed here for the day/night of Friday, 7 March 2014. My husband and our 2 teenagers - the accommodation was clean, neat, tidy and extremely affordable considering it's proximity to the beach. The kids were invited by one of the friendly staff to go surfing with them for some "tips" which was really wonderful and they had a great time. I would definitely stay at the Manly Oceanside Accommodation again and we hope to do so on our next trip to Manly. Very affordable and comfortable. All noise ceased at 10pm (as is the norm) which was also a bonus. Slept very well and woke up refreshed for an early morning swim!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manly
Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific
Quest Manly
Quest Manly
#1 of 13 in Manly
Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel
The Sebel Manly Beach
Manly Surfside Apartments

Been to Manly Oceanside Accommodation? Share your experiences!