Manly Lodge Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsdeluxe roomstea coffeecoles supermarketcorsohasanferriescafes
Reviewed 24 February 2014

i have lived in Manly many years and chose this place to spend a couple of nights now I don't live here anymore. Its such a great location....and has such potential to have all the things that money don't cost - an atmosphere?! A holiday feel? Some music ....some style .... for $180+ a night its clean but depressing. In the Standard single room, I have every kitchen appliance known to man (including a range hood/stove/microwave, toaster, pots, pans etc, too much for such a small room. A kettle and small fridge would have been fine. Other touches are that the TV is actually an LG monitor on a DVD player, wires trailing UP the wall, the internet only works at the front of the property and is patchy, I could go on, all the small stuff adds up to a waste of space ..... its so close to the beach and corso, its a small goldmine, with owners/managers who must be asleep at the wheel as its not $$ needed here - it just needs a sense that its alive and we're on the beach in Manly and everyone's lovin' it. Nah, not in here. Its got less atmosphere and finishing touches than a public library.

Room Tip: Just ask for one without half a kitchen squished in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I've stayed here several times before and the reviewer below is correct in saying you'll either love it or hate it. I think it's to do with what room you get and where it is located. I happened to get a room near the main foyer and although it's not exactly the hotels fault, it can be a bit noisy. It seemed as if it was a meeting point for all the foreigners talking loudly in some language to woo over someone's baby or just talk loudly in general.

As for the room itself, I stayed in the budge room. It's small! has a double bed, tv, aircon, small stove and cooking facility. The bathroom is small, yet clean enough.

Location is great, very close to Manly beach and the Ferry service into Sydney. Good shopping, food options nearby too. There is a Coles supermarket a street down towards the Corso which is good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Manly

A lot of what you read in reviews here, good and bad, is fair enough. I've stayed here at least 6 times and I have rooms I prefer, and rooms I'd prefer not to go back to. This tells you that despite the downsides, I keep coming back. Maybe not again though..

This is a basic lodge which is in serious need of an update in places. It really depends on the type of person you are and what you're prepared to put up with and I don't wish to offend people here. If you are a "complainer" who expects perfection then this is most definitely NOT the place for you. Seriously, you'll hate it. Don't even think about it. Move on. Now!

If you're a bit less likely to complain, if you accept that you've paid less money than you would for the Sebel which is just down the road, but you've got a reasonably (but not exceptionally) clean place in the most BRILLIANT location, then you might think, like I usually do, that this is a great place to stay.

Parking can be a temporary pain. If you're lucky you'll get a parking space close by. If you're unlucky - and we've been mostly but not always unlucky - you'll have to park a bit of a walk away. But that's ok. Pull up outside (easy enough to do in the wide street) and off-load your luggage and companions at the front door. Grab a free parking permit from Reception (this is a blessing because you'd get hit for big charges otherwise) and park your car somewhere legal in the parking permit zone. Chances are you won't need the car until you leave but anyway, by this time you've already unloaded and have a free permit so no problem! Come back later and park right outside when it's quieter, ready to load up again when you leave.

Some rooms are tiny - it's definitely worth checking out the website and judging which room will give you the most space for your needs. But it still won't be palatial.

The fixtures and fittings are old. Yup, old. You might encounter broken slats in the wooden blinds which allow daylight to stream in. But you might not.

There's a decent fridge in the room which has a few minibar items in it. The fridge in the room we just had was in need of a defrost. No room in the ice compartment at all - completely frozen over. Just pick drinks up at a nearby shop and you'll be fine. There's a cafe on site. It used to be thriving with a patisserie and there were people coming in off the street to buy coffees etc. Those were in the days of the cooked breakfast. Now, as others have said, breakfast is serve-yourself cereal, toast, juice and you can have a coffee made for you. The cafe is closed to the public and this seems to signal... something.

You won't always get a good reception on the tv in your room. There is wifi but it's not free and it's not generous. I stick to my 3G .

The staff have always tried to be helpful. Booking is always fast and easy online, followed up by payment on the phone. There are no lifts/elevators so heavy suitcases have to be carried if you're upstairs but I've had the young guys on reception help us at times. Incidentally, I've never seen a female receptionist - it's always been young guys. Not that this matters. I've always felt the staff were good.

The top bed covers look like they've seen cleaner days but the inside sheets and pillow cases are always clean. You get enough towels and small freebie toiletries are provided. The bathrooms have been hit or miss for cleanliness but you get a daily housekeeping service. I wouldn't put up with filth but generally these places are clean enough. The aircon has always been good whichever room I've been in.

Hmmmm. So why do I keep coming back? Simple - the location. And the price is great considering the location. It's a tiny stroll down a quiet street to a fantastic beach. There's a good Greek restaurant on that beach corner. Go up the street the other way and you have the cafe we used for cooked breakfast which is good.

Stroll a tiny bit further and you are right in the heart of Manly with all its restaurants and shops, and these are good. So the Manly Lodge is in easy walking distance of the wharf where you get a really good ferry service.

Just not sure, after this last visit, if the Manly Lodge is going downhill. It seemed a bit shabbier than our last visit about 7 months ago. They've stopped the cooked breakfasts and closed the coffee shop to the public. The breakfast room is doubling as a store room. The place seemed less clean. It might be worth a try next time we come as long as we can get a preferred room. It would be a shame if we decided to stop coming here because it's always been great. It might just be this room which we've never been in before. I can definitely see why you'd be put off if the room we've just been in was your room on the first visit. But again, it's cheaper and the location is perfect.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Lomacady
Reviewed 13 January 2014

As per previous reviews, this is quite a basic lodge with simple facilities. I found the staff to be helpful and the room was clean and a good size, although dated.
Breakfast was a choice of cereal and toast, there were no hot options, although there was a choice of a nice selection of fresh coffees.
The best thing about the Lodge is the location, it is excellent for beach and wharf (hence for access to ferries) and is easily walkable to the many shops, bars and restaurants that Manly has to offer.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Lisa Emery
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Best to avoid; rooms are dated. Fairly over priced for type of establishment. I would rate it 2 star whereas website calls itself a boutique hotel. Breakfast was simple (toast/cereal/orange juice) but margarine/butter had run out. Website shows nicer rooms. Client testimonials are a couple years old 2009/2010.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family