“Shelly beach dive was a pleasure!”
Review of Dive Centre Manly

Dive Centre Manly
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive Centre Manly is situated closest to Sydney's best dive sites. Being a multi-award winning PADI 5 Star Instructor training facility, we offer a complete range of dive courses from Discover Scuba to Instructor level and beyond - including Sydney's most talked about Learn to Dive course.Our fun and unique skilled based training programs, have continually produced better divers - when you finish a program with us, you will have gained the confidence and skills necessary to enjoy a lifetime of diving - we guarantee that you won't be able to wait to jump back in the water again. And learning to dive has never been easier - we have Learn to Dive programs starting up to 5 times a week and are taught by some of the most experienced dive staff in Australia including 2 PADI Course Directors, Staff Instructors, Master Scuba Diver Trainers and Divemasters.
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Shelly beach dive was a pleasure!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I recently visited Sydney. One of the things we wanted to do there was Scuba dive. I found Dive Centre Manly online and shot 'em an email. Chris replied back promptly, and answered my questions. When we finally visited, we took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Wharf. Dive Centre Manly is just a block down the road from there. We hauled our luggage there from the hotel since we had to check out by 10am and we were catching our cruise after diving. They were happy to let us store our stuff in the back of the shop while we dove.

We did 2 shore dives at Shelly Beach. Our dive group was small--myself, my wife, and a fellow from Sydney, along with our divemaster Connor and a divemaster trainee Reese. Both had over 250 dives under their belts. I had just been certified for open water a few weeks before, and my wife had only a few more dives than myself, so it was nice to have 2 divemasters along.

We were fitted for gear, which while basic and somewhat worn, did well by us in the water. They provided transportation in the van. We had to help load, which is fair enough. The beach itself was beautiful and the dives went great. Connor was safety conscious but made the experience fun. After our 2 dives, we filled out our log books, which is something not all divers do, but it was nice to see everything being done by the book.

Finally we were driven back in the van and dropped off. All in all I would definitely recommend Dive Centre Manly. For the price, they provide excellent bang, and the location is perfect.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The BEST Dive Centre! Small groups and passionate friendly staff.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have just completed the PADI Open water Diver Course and I can't speak highly enough of my experience with Dive Centre Manly.

From the moment you walk in the door you are greeted by friendly staff who make you feel relaxed and answer all your questions. I really appreciated working in a small group as it meant we got lots of attention from our isntructor and weren't kept waiting for others to complete their drills. When we got down to the beach and saw other dive schools operating in groups of about 30 you could see their skills and experience just didn't compare.

I know I speak for the others in my group when I say we were blown away by the knowledge and passion of our instructor Louis. He was incredibly professional but also a lot of fun. And when one of the people in our group was struggling a little with confidence he was very patient and tried everything he could to help our friend overcome his fears. Louis really focused on making sure we had good technique and that we could apply the skills and safety drills that we learnt. When we swam passed another dive centre's class they just looked like fools compareed to us, no buoancy, kneeling in the sand and lumpy old eqquipment. Louis is the man!

If you want the best equipment, small groups and THE best isntructor, then you must go with Dive Centre Manly. I really can't fault anything they did. I really loved the whole exsperience and I am well and truly hooked on Scuba diving. Can't wait for my next course!

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Best Open Water Diver Course in Sydney”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My 2 friends and I recently took a weekend Open Water Diver course at Dive Centre Manly - our first ever attempt at Scuba - and had a fantastic experience. Our instructor was Louis P., who was an awesome instructor - down to earth, honest, fun, and clearly passionate about diving and giving his students the best possible experience. We did our ocean dives at Shelly Beach in Manly at the same time as several groups from Pro Dive. Their class sizes were quite large - about 8 students per instructor, whereas Dive Centre Manly limits their classes to 4 students, meaning we got a lot more individual attention and instruction. We also used brand new training equipment: wing-style BCDs instead of the standard vest/jacket style BCD that create more drag in the water and squeeze your chest when inflated. We also learned better buoyancy control than the Pro Dive groups, since we learned to do all of our skills underwater whilst neutrally buoyant, whereas the Pro Dive groups did them all kneeling on the bottom (not something you should do when diving a reef!). Louis' favourite moment from our ocean dives was probably when our group of 4 divers swam effortlessly past a Pro Dive group when they were kneeling on the bottom! I highly recommend Dive Centre Manly and dive instructor Louis if you want to learn how to dive anywhere in Sydney.

Ryde, Australia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great dive - saw sharks”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My daughter and I went on a boat dive to Magic Point with Dive Centre Manly. They were marginally more expensive you (if have your own gear) than similar if operations out of Manly (Pro Dive or ScubaMunkies) but that just meant more space on the boat for us: we booked two days in advance and the boat was literally only half full (5 divers- there was space for at least 10 people). If you have to hire gear from them, no problem: they appeared to have excellent equipment.

They run their operation efficiently and very friendly. Friendliness at dive centres all over Sydney seems to be the norm and these people were no exception; we felt right at home. To further enhance our experience, the weather was perfect on the day: warm, sunny, no wind to speak of - all in all an excellent dive experience.

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience - Worth every penny”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

On a recent trip to Australia I decided to finally get round to doing my Open Water scuba diver. Dive Centre Manly had the best reviews and prices so I chose to go with them and I am glad I did. The whole course was fantastic from the pool dives to start all the way through to the final dive from Shelley Beach. The best thing for me was the size of the class; just three of us with one instructor!! This really meant that we got the best experience possible. All the staff were awesome with a special mention to Connor, our incredibly patient instructor. He was really good at breaking things down and letting us go at our own pace and only interjecting if he really needed to. The rental equipment was also pretty good and it was nice to not have to need any other gear, this is a big deal if you are coming on a vacation. Bottom line is, whatever diving you want to do in Manly, do it with these guys, you will not be dissappointed.

Visited October 2013