“Great Hotel... Seafood Buffet= terrible!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mascot
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Hotel... Seafood Buffet= terrible!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel on the weekend for 2 nights. Rooms nice and comfortable and quiet. Room service menu, way overpriced. They are definitely taking advantage of the fact that there is no other places to eat around the hotel! We got the shuttle to the airport early in the morning, and I think it was quiet expensive to pay $6 per person for a one way transfer that is less than a 5 minute drive! This should be complementary if you are staying more than 2 nights!

Had the buffet at the restaurant on Friday night, and it was terrible. I made a booking online on the hotel website for 7pm, and when I got downstairs, they said I had no booking, even though I had a confirmation email. He said they couldn't accommodate me at a table and said I can eat at the bar. Well that just isn't good enough for a Samford Hotel when I made a booking for a table! He then offered me to sit at the bar, and gave me a complementary drink until a table was free. I was waiting for about 10 minutes, so it wasn't that bad.

It's suppose to be a seafood buffet, apparently. They only had cold prawns, bugs and mussels.... oh and 1 oyster!! Bugs were frozen and had to wait for them to defrost on my plate. All of the seafood was cold, and nothing hot was offered. What about people that don't eat cold seafood?? The salad was nothing to rave about either. The hot buffet, well wasn't even worth looking at. The hot food looked like it had been sitting there for hours and looked all dried up. They had roast beef and roast pork, which was the only eatable thing. I like hot spicy food, but the curry they had you couldn't even eat it was that hot! And rice that was so overcooked it was horrible and stuck together.

We went the following night for dinner as well, as we had an early flight in the morning and nowhere else to eat around the area. Once again, we made a booking on the hotel website and once again they didn't have our booking.

This time we ordered from menu, and the food was pretty good. Looked at the buffet, and for a Sunday night, long weekend, nothing was left! The only seafood they had were a couple of prawns and bugs.... nothing else!! Can't call that a seafood buffet!!!

If they are going to offer a buffet to international and local guest, they need to take a good look at the food and what they are serving up!! Definitely not worth the $65.00 for 'seafood buffet'!!

I am in travel and book a lot of transit hotels in Sydney for clients, and to see this buffet was very disappointing!

Room Tip: Great for a quick transit hotel. Not worth paying for the buffet
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank amanda19_76_23
Guy_Challis_GM, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Amanda19_76_23

Thank you for your valuable feedback of your experience during your recent stay with us. It is most concerning to read of your disappointment with our seafood buffet. This is certainly not indicative of our usual high standards to which we aim to achieve and rest assured I have brought all the issues you raised to the attention of our Director of Food & Beverage and Executive Chef to address accordingly and ensure these do not reoccur. We will also review our online booking system and our room service menu.

I sincerely apologise for the lapse in our standards on this occasion and do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Guy Challis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Made the mistake of taking my family to the buffet dinner here. We paid through the nose for this pleasure and was totally disappointed as the service was horrible and slow, the chairs are filthy and in desperate need of being changed and they can't seem to label their food correctly either (I was a little concerned that the tomato soup was orange). It used to be a great place to go, so I don't know what has happened !

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Mon M
Dear Mon M,

I appreciate you taking the time in sharing your review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise for the poor service you encountered in the restaurant and this has been adddressed accordingly with our Director of Food & Beverage to ensure further training is undertaken by our staff members.

I take this opportunity to also advise that the restaurant will be undergoing a refurbishment as part of our ongoing hotel upgrade project. I trust you will see a marked imporvement on your next stay with us.

Thank you you again for your valuable feedback and I hope to have the pleasure of seeing you back in the near future.

, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and i stayed at the Stamford Plaza hotel at Mascot, for 1 night only. We found the hotel very clean, the staff were polite and helpful. It was value for money.The continental breakfast was excellent with anything you could want for breakfast and if they did not have it you could ask for it and they would quickly cook it for you.
The only thing which we did not like was when we went down the basement to the carpark we found out that we were going to be charged a fee for parking overnight, which was not mentioned in the brochure.
So I would recommend the Stamford Plaza at Mascot but if you are working on a budget don't forget to add a parking fee of $25.00 per day to park your car or if you are planning to take your car anywhere you have to pay to get your car out each time you park there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Guy_Challis_GM, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Weekend-traveller13,
It is pleasing to read you had an enjoyable stay with us, and our staff are very appreciative of your recognition of their excellent service.
In relation to our car parking, I advise that if a guest is staying overnight in the hotel, the maximum parking fee is $25 and this allows taking the car in and out numerous times. This however needs to be mentioned to reception in order to validate the parking ticket.
Thank you for taking the time to share your review and trust you had a lovely night experiencing the amazing lights at Vivid. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Cairns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped over at the hotel on our way to South America. The check in and general service was very good, the staff were very helpful and the airport shuttle was well organised and on time. A good choice of restuarants and bars. Would definitely use the hotel again.

Dear Kenfifer,
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience of your recent stay with us. It is most pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay and found our services and facilities of excellent standard.
I trust you had a great trip and l look forward to welcoming you back when next you are travelling abroad.
Taipei, Taiwan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

The bed is too soft or the spring is out of order. I asked to change, but it is refused.

I cannot sleep whole night. So i only can sleep on the floor carpet.

2 Thank JamesYoung104
Dear JamesYoung104,
I am most sorry to read of your restless sleep due to our beds, and regret that we were not able to move you due to full occupancy. I do advise that our beds are very new and we have always had positive comments on how comfortable they are, even some guests requesting for the brand name in order to purchase them!
I appreciate your feedback and do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back should you be travelling to Sydney in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel only 10 minutes from the international airport. Check in was extremely quick and friendly. We had room service, a little pricey but the food was great. Room was larger than expected, very clean and a decent size bathroom. Car parking was $25 overnight which is reasonable. Most definitely stay here again.

Dear Cathy W,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time in sharing your review. I am delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay and you found our services and facilities up to standard.
I appreciate your positve feedback and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Booker Bay, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight with a group of 18 before flying out to Singapore - and they hopeless.

We had their seafood Buffett at $65.00 per head and it was very ordinary. No condiments, things were frozen, cold food or over cooked. Desert cart no cream, no ice cream - stale and frozen. They also did not have any wine - when we finally found anyone to serve us - they kept coming back saying - no wine, no wine!

So it looks like the Stanford has gone on the wagon!

Anyone can have a bad day - but when I commented they just could not give a continental - and made it very clear they were not interested. Service was just non existent - and when you found someone they were rude and arrogant.

There are plenty of great hotels at Sydney airport / this is just not one of them. I've dropped it from my companies approved listing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Greg N
Guy_Challis_GM, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Nealtwo,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay with us. It is most concerning to read of your overall disappointment with the services you encountered. Rest assured this is certainly not indicative of the high levels of service to which we aim to achieve, and ensure you these issues raised are being addressed accordingly.
I sincerely apologise for the lapse in our standards on this occasion, and would appreciate you contact our Director of Food & Beverage at thegrove@spsa.stamford.com.au to discuss this further and in an effort to assist with your needs in the future.
I thank you for your valuable feedback and do hope you will afford us the opportunity of creating a better impression by welcoming you back to the hotel.