“Ibis at Sydney Airport”

Ibis Sydney Airport
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Mascot
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Queanbeyan, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay (first was in 2006). It was not by choice, my airline booked me a room after my travel was disrupted. The negatives are the hotel room decor is entirely the same, at least it is common in all 3 rooms I have been in. The shower still floods out of the room, there is still no place in the cubicle for soap or toiletries and the walls are still paper thin. No attention seems to be taken at all to the condition of the corridor carpet which is in dire need of regular vacuuming. The positives are the room on the most part is clean, as is the linen and despite being small the bed is very comfortable. Hot water is instant and the shower pressure is quite good. The customer service was 5 star which was a pleasant surprise after a full day of transit while making it know where near to where I needed to go that day. The check in and use of the airline voucher was prompt and I was supplied with a charger for my phone without hassle. The other surprise was the on site restaurant. Very high quality food for the establishment it was in and the pork chop I ordered was literally perfection on a plate. The shuttle service is still sketchy at best with no clear airport departure times and some shuttles arriving to only take a small number of passengers while people are told to catch the next one. Frustrating when you have booked at a certain time. If the hotel arranges this they should have staff coordinating it, as it is chaotic in the hands of the drivers.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Pamela M, Manager at Ibis Sydney Airport, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Nikki,

Thank you for posting your review. I appreciate the feedback. I will speak to housekeeping about the corridor issues. We have replaced the carpet and upgraded the tv's in all guest rooms as well as painted all rooms over the past two years. The restaurant and lobby received a renovation late last year. Please let me know if I can of any further assistance when making your next booking.
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Close to the airport but airport transfer drivers were quite unhelpful. Almost missed out on a transfer to the airport because you cannot book and I got the last available seat. Two other patrons were left without a transfer at all. Nice room, excellent breakfast buffet, very close to the airport. However they should be a bit more organised with transfers as that is one of the main reasons people stay there. Likely I will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We do book the shuttle for our guests at reception and I will investigate with the shuttle company why they didn't send another bus. I am also concerned about the number of driver comments, I have already spoken to the representative from the company about previous comments made here. Thank you for letting me know.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I do like the proximity to the airport (especially the domestic), and the beds ARE very good. But this time I felt 'ripped off'. $12.50 for 2 hours of WiFi? In this day and age, they've got to be kidding! Our night at the Ibis was the start of 3 months of travel for us, and every hotel since has supplied FREE WiFi to every room!
I also agree with RogerG about the shuttle driver: they need to find a shuttle service with better customer service skills.
Also, the dining room is not well managed: one always has to go looking for cutlery!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Carol,

Thank you for leaving some comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we failed to deliver on this occasion. Accor are currently evaluating our wifi plans and we hope to have some good news soon. I am glad that you enjoyed the ibis Sweet beds, they are amazing.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I found the Ibis quite similar to newer Premier Inn hotels in the UK - great food (almost as good a breakfast as the Mercure), but basic yet comfortable rooms.

I should have asked for a quieter room - right near the lifts and vending machines is one of the noisier spots. The windows are double-glazed which helped greatly remove external traffic noise but sirens and planes were still audible. Fortunately the planes have a curfew, however I could also regularly hear rumbling which I presume were trains on the airport line (the times matched). Fortunately I know that tuning the radio into static helped me get some quality rest despite all the noises.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room away from the elevators if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Really sorry that you experienced some noise issues during your stay but glad that the staff were accommodating. I wonder if you asked reception whether we could have moved you to a quieter room if available. Please ask next time you stay for a different location as we are only to happy to allocate if available.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed once again this weekend.

Great rooms and very attentive staff when you call reception.

We stayed for a few nights in July when a family member was in hospital. So when visiting again of course we booked in.

Once again, attentive staff at check in when we asked for a room away from the main road.

Only down fall this time was breakfast. The food is always amazing. However, this time no pastries, items missing on the buffet and the amazing pancake machine wasn't working properly.

All said though, we will definitely stay again. Let's just hope that the kitchen for breakfast is more organised.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nikki,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are experiencing some issues with our breakfast and hope to have them sorted soon. I am sorry that our usual standard wasn't there for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future.
Pearland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Had a cancelled flight and the airline put us up here for a night. "pod" style rooms. Bathrooms are one big molded unit. Bed was comfortable enough. TV worked. Heat/cooling was recessed by the door and didn't really do a good job circulating in the room. Internet seemed rather pricey even by Aussie standards ($20-30 for 24 hour access with VERY limited bandwidth). Free internet in the lobby but only 30 min/day. Decent looking restaurant on-site (didn't try it). 5 min walk from public transportation. Note that it's almost under the plane flight-path, but soundproofed pretty well.

Not my usual sort of place for business travel, but nothing really bad about it either. The room was clean enough and the staff were friendly enough. If the heat had worked well and the internet hadn't been ridiculously expensive, I would have gone 4 stars.

Room Tip: Elevator is a bit slow, but don't know if that really needs to influence your choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Steve,

Thank you for posting some comments about your stay at ibis Sydney Airport. I hope you were not too delayed on your journey. Thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the ibis beds. We hope to have new internet plans shortly, just waiting for the tender process to be completed. Maybe we will see you return again one day and hopefully you won't be delayed.