“Value for money”

Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Mascot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

My fiance and myself had to stay over night at the FORMULE1 AT SYDNEY AIRPORT due to JETSTAR canceling our flight at the last minute for no given reason .

when we arrived at the hotel all appeared as it shoud when you are greeted at the front desk , and thenwhat or room number was ,we were told where your room is (usual) .
we had booked a tripple room which is all they had left at the last minute .
then when we had arrived at the room , we were expecting a nice large room which was suppose to accommodate 3 persons adult and/or children , which to our surprise looked more like a deluxe room.
The so called 3rd bed was a upper buck , with a mattress that was more suited for a toddlier
there was no tea or coffee supplied , not even a kettle to make a cup of of coffe or teas
there was no cups
only 1 towel ,1 shower mat , 1 small piece of soap with 2 plastic disposiable cups to rinse your mouth out with .
the airconditioning was terriable , i am not one who suffers with ashma , but the air was so bad coming from the airducts that i was coffing continously till i turned it off .

on three occasions we had somebody during the night try to get into our room. this meant that my sharp alert senses prevented me from getting any proper sleep ( only 2 hours)

granted this is an 1-5 day accommodation premies ,but as safety is concerned it also was very poor you could not open the window which meant that if a fire did happen outside the room door you had no way of escaping , the tv was about 15 years old .

the shower and tiolet was not of proper standard ,there was no minstrel fan to get rid of any bad smells , the water in the shower ran out to the room instead of all of it running into the drianage.
the information booklet ????? was not of proper standard either it was only in English and not the required different languages for foriegn visitors.
the beding was not of good quality instead of having aproper doona with a cover all it had was 2 sheets covering a thin doona?????. there was not blankets , one was on the upper bunk but it was too small for our double bed.
there was no ironing board , u had to go down to the ground flooor to do any ironing
there was no hair drer in the room when my fiance neeed to do here hair .

how would i rate this hotel ,well a rating of 1-5 i would give it a 1
and I would have to say that if you are having an affiar or wanted to take a prostitude for a quick session then this is the place .

conclusion

I would not recomend this hotel to my worse enemy or any of my close friends, it holds a 3 star rateing but I think they might have brought the other 2 stars because for a three star hotel it certainly did not show me how it was worthy of this rating and most defenitly need to be reviewed.

Room Tip: when booking your self into a hotel always ask if they supply a kettle, coffe or tead in the room i...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mrconsult
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Staff at the desk along with close proximity to airport were the two best factors that would bring me back to stay. I was staying with my mother and partner and the room was satistactory, if it hadn't been for the very loud air conditioning and the confusing fact of the room still be extremely warm. This meant a Very sporadic sleep which wasn't the best way to start a flight and holiday.
Close proximity to airport means however that we would still stay again yet would bring a fan to make the night bearable. Along with requesting a room WITHOUT afternoon sun.

• Stayed January 2012
Wollongong
Reviewed 19 January 2012

When compared to other five-star hotel's I've been to, the Formule 1 doesn't stack up, but considering what I was expecting (little more than a bed and bathroom) I was surprised. The room was bigger than I expected and was dark and quiet, which would have made sleeping easy. However, thge bed was ordinary, to say the least, and was too lumpy to sleep perfectly in. The room had a tv, though the reception on some channels was bad. The service was also great and considering how cheap it was, service really didn't need to be anything special, but it was good to see the staff go out of their way for the customers. Some things were missing (we only got half a roll of toilet paper, no tissues, no tea or coffee, no shampoo or soap) but considering how cheap and close to the airport it is, I'm not surprised that some services were missing. Breakfast was also served, but I had an early flight and it wasn't open when I check out, but it shares a carpark with Krispy Kreme donuts and is right next to a Macca's and KFC. The best aspect of the hotel was how close it was to the airport, walking distance to domestic terminal and 2-3 min drive to international. Considering I lived 3 hours away from the airport when I stayed, paying $112 for a room less than 5 mins from the international airport (considering I'd already spend thousands on the holiday) the Formule 1 is perfect airport hotel to stay at. They also offer a shuttle to the international terminal, which was $6 a person.

To conclude, the Formule 1 is not the best or most up market hotel I've ever stayed at, but the price/value is amazing for the location, just expect a cheap, basic room, nothing more. It's still the perfect place to stay before flying out of Sydney, or whilst in transit; however, the bed, in my room at least, was pretty bad and needed urgent replacing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple