This is the second time we've stayed in the Ibis Budget hotel at Mascott (formerly the Formule 1 hotel), and like last time, for the price, we were very satisfied.
We needed to be at the aiport very early in the morning, and with 3 children the thought of getting multiple taxi's at that time in the morning did not appeal. At the Ibis budget for $129 we stayed in a "Quad Family Room" which contains a double bed, and 2 single bunk beds. Even though it is a quad, our youngest child was allowed to share a bed free of charge.
Reading through the other reviews make this hotel sound like it's a slum. It just isn't.
Are the rooms large? Nope. They're tiny.
Are the beds comfortable? Not particularly.
Do you get any extras with the room? Virtually none. A couple of beds, a chair, a TV and a few cups in the bathroom, and that's it.
Would I stay there again? After my last 2 experiences, absolutely.
Why? To sum up the answer to that question: Price and Convenience.
The Ibis Budget hotel is situated a leisurely 10 minute walk from the domestic airport terminal, and the domestic terminal train station. Under 5 minutes by taxi.
The hotel is right next door to a Krispy Kreme restaurant, which not only does all manner of donuts, as you'd expect, but also quite decent coffees and a selection of pre-made sandwiches. Next door to Krispy Kreme is McDonalds, and 2 minutes further down the road is KFC. So the location has all of your junk-food dining options covered. Not ideal if you're a health food nut, but acceptable if, like us, you just want something quick and easy before turning in for the night to catch a flight the following day.
As for the room, yes it was small, but it was exactly what we expected. It had beds, and our room was quiet and clean.
Before booking this hotel I looked around to find a hotel close to the airport willing to accomodate 2 adults and 3 children, and even though other nearby hotels had 4 person rooms for not too much more money, they refused to let us all stay in one room. Completely understandable, but it meant that I would have needed to book 2 rooms, and for an 8 hour overnight stay at more than double to price, it made the decision to stay at the Ibis Budget easy.
To summarise: If you're spending more than 1 night at the hotel, or plan on spending any time in your hotel room doing *anything* other than sleeping, I'd advise you to go elsewhere. If you're expecting any kind of comforts in your room other than beds, a chair and a bathroom, then again I'd advise you go elsewhere. If you only have 1 or 2 people, their rates aren't that special either, so if you're a couple I'd probably advise that you shop around also.
If however, like us you have family or group of 4 or more, and just need a single night of cheap, and ultra convenient accomodation for a next-day flight, I would recommend giving the Ibis Budget a go.
Also, a big thank you to the guy working the front desk on 16/Jan/2014. After our booked taxi driver decided to not turn up, and leave us stranded before our flight, he went out of his way to phone around to some of his taxi-driving contacts/friends until he found one close-by, who was able to pick us up and get us to the airport.
* The in-room wifi is expensive. The nearby Krispy Kreme and McDonalds have free wifi for customers.
* The in-room wifi is a skype wifi hotspot, so you can spend your skype credit instead of submitting your credit card details in the hotel room, which makes it both cheaper, easier and more secure.
* Shuttle buses don't start until 6am, so don't count on these for early flights. Book taxi's instead. There is a free taxi booking line phone at the Ibis Budget front counter.
* Shuttle buses aren't cheap (~$6p.p. from memory) so for multiple people for such a short journey a taxi is often the same price or even cheaper.
* Sitting on the toilet while having a shower at the same time is much more fun that it should be.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ctrip TA, HostelWorld, Ebookers, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Formule 1 Sydney
- Formule One Airport