“a nice little surprise!”

Metro Hotel Miranda
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Miranda
Dunedin
“a nice little surprise!”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

On most occasions you get disappointed by a hotel. In this case I had simply booked as it was walking distance from a morning meeting. the out side of the hotel is a bit run down and you prepare yourself for the worst. Even the lobby is a bit shabby (like a hostel) but nonetheless I knew that they had charged me a very fair rate so I sent ahead. I had paid a little bit more for the superior rooms (4th floor) and on leaving the lift I was actually surprised. The room is small but clean, modern and very functional. It was quite and the trimmings were more than expected. This hotel keeps reminding me that it IS the small things that matter - very friendly (helpful) staff and a hot chocolate before dinner. Next time I have a meeting in Miranda I will stay here!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the top floor. it gives you a desk and is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank craigsmithdc
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.
Your kind words are appreciated. I am so pleased Metro Hotel Miranda was, " a nice little surprise". and the Hotel suited your requirements.
You are so correct, its the little things that make all the difference and hot chocolate is definitely one.!!!
Thank you for staying with us, hopefully we may meet again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 7 November 2012

External parking very cramped, undercover parking almost impossible to get into with anything but a small car due to tight bends.
Bathroom very tired, broken tiles with black stains in grout. Lifts and passages quite dirty.
Would comment on the breakfast ordered but it failed to be delivered.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Adelongnsw
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Car Parking at Metro Hotel Miranda is always very busy however there are 3 levels of undercover parking under the building which is very easy to access. The top 2 car parks are the closest to reception which is why most of my guests choose to park at that location.
Always check with reception as in Sydney, Parking is always at a priority.
Lifts at this location are used by 8 businesses one being a Gym, the lifts are cleaned every day.
Bathrooms in our balcony queen rooms are being upgraded how ever I can assure you they are all very clean.
I do apoligise in regard to the breakfast not being delivered, if you wish to contact me I will personally look into this for you.
I am very sorry we did not meet your requirements if you wish to stay with us again please call me direct and I will personally look after your booking.
brooklyn
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I loved the fact that there was a microwave and fridge and tea kettle in the room as I stayed there for 10 nights. The hotel was very convenient to the train and right next to the mall. There were also several restaurants within walking distance that I ate at which were pretty good. I especially enjoyed the Irish Bakery. I stayed in an older (un-renovated) room with the queen and single beds. I was going to upgrade to a superior room, but it didn't make sense as the room I had was perfectly acceptable. The only problem I had was that a lot of people slammed their room doors which was super annoying especially when I was trying to sleep. Several guests were also very loud in the hallways even though there are 10 millions signs asking people not to be considerate! All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank funcha
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Also thank you for your kind words, my staff and I appreciate your feedback. I have tried to make all the rooms with in the Hotel user friendly, as many guests are here for work, all the added amentites are appreciated.
The Hotel doors are heavy doors due to being Fire Rated, I have, as you mentioned requested all guests to consider all my other guests however, I am very sorry to say this dose not always happen.
Yes I agree the Irish Bakery is excellent.
Once again thank you for your kind words, I look forward to meeting you in the future.
Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel and paid a rate of $160.00 for a double room (queen bed and a single). We were on the second floor which I am guessing is one of the floors that has not been refurbished. While the sheets and towels and room were clean, the bathroom was extremely run down with chipped tiles, mouldy grout and a vent / fan thing in the wall that was covered in dust and very noisy. The door to the balcony and the window did not seal properly and therefore did not block out the general street noise, it was like sleeping with the door and window wide open. I honestly would not have cared about these few little issues if I had been paying around $100 per night but for $160.00 per night it is a rip off. I stay in Sydney in various locations at least once or twice a month and generally pay around the $140 - $160 rate per night and this is by far not worth the $160 they charge.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ColourMeSurprised
Thank you for taking the time to add this review.
The rate of $160.00 is a week end rate, so not mid week as our mid week rate is from $115.00.
The hotel rate is subject to occupancy, therefore the rate does alter due to occupany.
The Hotel is a great location and is a very popular destination.
Please contact me as you mention you travel for business which I would assume is mid week, as my corporate guests can request a speical rate.
The house keeping issues you mention have been addressed.
Bribie Island, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2012

First impression? Grungy lobby.
Second impression? Grubby lifts.

The hotel is very "tired" and even the updated rooms are not much better than barely average, which wouldn't be so bad if the daily rate was more than a tad lower. There is scarcely anywhere to hang/store clothing and the bathroom was not at all well- designed - in fact I found it necessary to go into the main room to get sufficient light to shave by and my wife had similar issues when trying to put on makeup.

TV channel choice? Don't get your hopes up!

All in all, a disappointment.

Room Tip: The "better" (more expensive) rooms have no balconies, nor can you open the windows to get...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank brisbanepete001
Dear Guest,
The guest rooms and bathrooms in the superior rooms where you stayed are excellent, there is a stainless steel hook on the back of the door and a wooden shelf in the bathroom. All rooms have a double glass wardrobe with shelves and a area for hanging clothes. The rooms have huge windows all these rooms are so light and open. Our rate over the week end you stayed here was justified as the hotel was fully booked. Please note the rate is subject to occupancy. I am aware, you have stayed here in the past, perhaps your requirements have not been meet by this Hotel, I thank you for your business in the past and wish you good luck in finding accomodation that suits your needs in the future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My partner and I stayed at Metro Hotel Miranda on the 22nd of September, room 408. The room was immaculate with great city views. We arrived after hours as we came after attending a wedding and the service was still great. The manager came straight down to greet us and give us access cards to the lift and our room. After a big day it was a comfort to be greeted so well and with such quick response at such a time. Thankyou to the Metro Hotel Miranda team. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Metro Hotel in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra D
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our after hours check in, is part of the service we offer at Metro Hotel Miranda. Thank you for your positive feed back in regard to room 408. I do remember your arrival, you were both so tired after your big day. Once again Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miranda
Eventhouse Cronulla
#2 of 2 in Cronulla
Engadine Motor Inn
Engadine Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Engadine

Been to Metro Hotel Miranda? Share your experiences!