“Basic all round”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Miranda
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Basic all round”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We expected a bigger room and balcony or at least an opening window for what we paid for a superior room. We questioned the size of bed but were assured it was a queen so would have to say it was definitely the smallest queen bed we have had in any accommodation! There is a shortage of convenient power points to charge phones etc as well as bench space in the room and bathroom to put bits and pieces. Overall the superior room was quite cramped. Other family stayed in standard rooms, also overpriced for what they were; old and tired looking although they did have a balcony for fresh air, even if it was shared with other rooms on that floor. Every family member in the standard rooms felt the beds were too hard and they all heard the lifts going up and down, and even some early morning calls for staff to report somewhere. Key cards in the lifts and rooms were a continual problem. After advising staff they weren't working, we were told you can't put them next to your mobile phone, keys or coins so basically you have to have a pocket or place just to keep your key card. Either advise guests of this on arrival or improve the programming on the key card! One of our key cards was kept in our room the whole time and it wouldn't work after day two, so don't know how that one can be explained! Although not Metro's problem, the taxi service for this area is shocking and guests should be warned that booking a taxi does not guarantee you one at the time you want, allow an extra 30 to 40 minutes to be on the safe side and hopefully you won't miss most of the wedding you travelled here for! I have given Metro Miranda two stars; one for Dale the night manager who was helpful enough and seemed to have her hands full dealing with a few other situations, and the other star for good housekeeping. No stars for value for money, but given that accommodation in this area is rather scarce, don't expect that's going to change.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Purplejuly
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review. Before staying at any accommodation it is always advisable to read the Hotel description as we clearly state the superior floor have amazing views however all rooms have air cons, we never advise that that these rooms have balconies.
The bathrooms have 2 shelves, so for a night or 2, I would have thought that was adequate.
These Superior rooms are not cramped, it is possible you should have booked one of the apartments, which would have have given you 2 rooms.
All the beds in the Hotel are brand new, they are SEALY BEDS made to a MEDIUM standard HOTEL Commercial. In the feed back I have received they are very comfortable.
Our key cards are causing some issues with guests but we are so concerned about the security and my guests safely until the lift company can change the system this is what we have to use, however if these keys are used correctly they are are an excellent system, only a small percentage of guests have problems with the system. I am aware of the Hotel / Motel prices in the Sutherland shire and METRO HOTEL MIRANDA is actually very reasonably priced for value for money. Happy travels to you I hope you will find accommodation in the future that suits you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
Gold Coast
Reviewed 24 November 2013

room key cards kept causing greif, we came back one night and the card wouldn't unlock our door. The after hours lady blamed us by having our phones too close when I have had my phone in my pocket and key card separately in my handbag/wallet the whole time. Also the rooms are average for the price you pay. However the Polish cafe underneath was great and I would return there, but not to this hotel!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Natalie d
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry you had a problem with the keys, however if your key in your bag was by your mobile it is possible to wipe the data on the cards.
The Hotels offers 3 .5 star and 4 star accommodation, the choice is yours of course. As for the rate for the room provided it was a bigger room as you had 3 people in the room and at $65.00 per person for the first night, It was not over priced. The 2nd night was based on week end rates it was again your choice to move to a smaller room and pay a reduced rate for a balcony queen room. I do agree the cafe is excellent thank you. Happy travels to you..
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Compared to other options nearby, this hotel is pretty good value. We stayed in one of their non-renovated rooms, which was clean and fine but very tired. We didn't want to spend $160+ for a 'renovated' one, which frankly just doesn't seem good value. Why they don't take enough pride in their establishment to renovate all the rooms (which, based on the pictures, doesn't look like more than a lick of paint), I don't know. Their electronic key system is rubbish, the person at reception laughed and said that everyone has problems with the system - which I would think should encourage them to fix it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You begin your review with the prices at this Hotel being reasonable, and you are correct in this statement, how ever you are incorrect in the rates that you quoted.
At Metro Hotel Miranda we offer guests a choice on accommodation between 3.5 star and 4 star, why should every room have to be identical, that would stop my guests having a choice in room type and price. Actually the top floor took a little more than a coat of paint it was a totally new floor to this hotel with amazing views over Sydney with modern facilities and decor.
The key card system in the lift can for some guests be difficult to understand if you remove the card to quickly it cannot read all the data on the card which I assume you have may have done.
The key card system is serviced on an regular basis and does not have to be fixed.
Thank you for staying at Metro Hotel Miranda, Happy travels to you.
Berry, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Booked to stay two nights.. We had a room on the second floor, which was very dated and in much need of an overhaul. The room was on the corner of the building and as such was close to the Kingsway. The road noise was a problem as we had to keep the balcony door open. The airconditioner whilst it worked, was more like a 737 in the bedroom so that was of no use. The most uncomfortable nights sleep I have ever had at any hotel I have stayed in. I travel regularly within Australia and overseas. We left our key at reception (was not open when we had to leave the hotel) and couldn't face staying another night. Two nights accommodation paid for only one nights stay. Im sure other rooms are in better condition (by reading other reviews). Just make sure you get one of those if you decide to stay here and make sure its on the quiet side of the hotel. Very disappointing!

Room Tip: Stay away from the Kingsway and make sure the air conditioner is in good order (quiet).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Deb2535
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest ,Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry you did not find Metro Hotel suitable to your needs. Unfortunately you did not speak to myself or my staff to voice your concerns, I am contactable 24 hours, all my contact details are in all rooms. If you do not communicate with me, I cannot assist and resolve your concerns. My reception is not 24 hours as this is not required at this Hotel however reception is open 14 hours a day. The Hotel is located on a busy road, however there have been major road works over the last few weeks due to West field makeover.The air conditioner has been checked it was adjusted to fan mode and this was vibrating, if you had contacted me I could have corrected this for you. Once again I am very sorry you did not contact me and very disappointed, you just departed and did not notify myself or my staff. If in the future you need accommodation in this area please contact me and I will personally look after your reservation. Happy travels to you both.
Sydney
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel was OK, but no more. Paid 160$ for one room with one double bed and one single bed, for Saturday night. Bed was comfortable, room was clean. But room key cards kept not working, and lift was also temperamental (also room key card operated) - would not stop on lobby floor for us or others. Cathy on reception was friendly and helpful but a bit stretched with so many things not working. Breakfast would have been 20$ each (pretty steep) and although there's a McD round the corner, you cannot get into it till 10am Sunday. Parking was on rooftop, included in room rate, OK.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for staying at Metro Hotel Miranda, and taking the time to write this review. At Metro Hotel we do offer 3.5 star and 4 star accommodation. The $160.00 rate on a Saturday is based on Occupancy there fore we would have been fully booked over the week end you were in Miranda. You do have the option of the 4 star accommodation which are rooms on the top floor and only 18 months old. The breakfast that you mentioned in the cafe are priced from $6.95, the most expensive breakfast which is the big breakfast is $16.95 and is massive and delicious.
The key card system we use in the Hotel can be a little tricky at times however it is usually the guest not using the card system correctly, usually pulling the card out of the reader in the lift to quickly so the data on the card cannot be read .It is also a shared lift with other businesses at this location which can sometimes confuse our guests. Once again thank you for staying at Metro Hotel Miranda.
Sydney
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I booked in to stay for two nights whilst i attended day sugery at a nearby hospital. The room was a little dated on level 1 but very clean,tidy and comfortable. The television had a number of channels to watch, including foxtel. The staff were friendly and accomodating. Off street parking was a bonus as parking in the area can be quite restricting.Ideal location, close to railway station and shopping centre.I would like to stay there again but possibly in a room on the higher levels.

Room Tip: Level 1 rooms that faced east were directly above carpark.Request rooms that are on the higher floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for you kind review. The rooms on the 1st floor are very comfortable and you still get a nice view towards Sydney and Botany Bay. The most important comment you made in your review is in regard to my staff. I thank you for your comments.
On behalf of the staff at Metro Hotel we hope you are fit and well again and on the mend.
Thank you for staying with us at Miranda, we look forward to your next visit.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having returned to Sydney for business meetings it is ideal once again for me for location and close to amenities. There is now a cafe on the ground floor for breakfasts which is great.
Also they have obviously upgraded their television network and Foxtel is now available with movie channels. ( I Love my movies )

My compliments to the Manager and the staff on good service and friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: Must stay on the 4th floor it is very nice neat and tidy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ross U
Dharlick, Manager at Metro Hotel Miranda, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Metro Hotel Miranda and posting your kind review. The cafe is a hit with our guests, all enjoying the meals that the cafe offers. Foxtell has been upgraded recently and the movie cannel and sports 3 has been added to our foxtel channels.
My staff here at Metro Hotel Miranda all do their best to make our guests feel welcome and all enjoy their stay with us. Once again thank you for your kind words and hopefully we will see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miranda
Eventhouse Cronulla
#1 of 1 in Sylvania
Caringbah Hotel
Caringbah Hotel
#1 of 1 in Caringbah

Been to Metro Hotel Miranda? Share your experiences!