“Average at best”

Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Monteagle
Price range: US$2 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 1960 Family owned & operated Authentic Unique Vintage Nostalgic Restaurant, Gift Shop, Meeting Center, Mountain Lodge, & Cabins. Farm to Table Local Foods. Regional Authentic Menu & Cooking. Smoked Meats BBQ Ribs Brisket Chicken Hams Bacon Turkey. Full Menu & Generous Buffet w/Salad Bar + Skillet Corn Bread & Bread Pudding. Family & Group Friendly. Meetings Reunions Weddings Receptions Groups Indoor & Outdoor 20 acre campus. Large portions fair prices children's pricing. Live Music Fri & Sat nights, no admission, food & beverages served during show, family friendly & room for groups. Vacation Cabins for Couples Families & Groups on 20 acres of recreation. Close to Bluegrass Underground, The Caverns, Fall Creek Falls, South Cumberland State Park, Sewanee, Tim's Ford, Nickajack, Manchester, South Pittsburgh, Jack Daniels, Chattanooga, Nissan, Decherd, Winchester, Fiery Gizzard Trail, Savage Gulf, Stone Door. As seen in Southern Living, Tennessee Crossroads, Tennessee Magazine.
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I ordered a burger that way cooked well past well done and was possibly the driest thing I have been served in quite some time. The sides were not horrible but not great.
The service was bad. We was our server twice. Once to take the order and once to drop off the ticket. There was no checking on drink or asking how the food was. At the end of the meal we honestly wondered whether we were going to have to go in search of our server to get the check even that was delivered late.

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your review, we apologize for the less than expected service and the overcooked burger. Please send me your address and I'll send you a coupon for some free food and discounts the next time you are passing our way. I will pass this on to the staff and let them know someone didn't do their job as expected. This is not the norm, as you can see from the other comments here on Trip Ad visor, come in and give us another chance to redeem ourselves.
Thanks!
The Smoke House Gang

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stopped in for breakfast on our way to Chattanooga, and we had a great breakfast. Our favorite item was the loaded hashbrowns. We were so impressed with the food and service, we stopped in again on our way home and had dinner. We were greeted by everyone we met, and the most memorable experience was meeting Mike. Mike was carving meats just as we walked into the restaurant area. He was extremely friendly and even offered us a taste of the meats he had been preparing. He also answered questions about what rubs and sauces to pair with meats we cook at home. The selection of rubs and sauces available for our dining experience, as well as to take home, were plentiful. We decided to try the dinner buffet, and the food was amazing! If you like southern style country cooking, this will be a great place for you. The buffet had many things to choose from such as pulled pork, baked and fried chicken, mashed potatoes, squash casserole, numerous other vegetables, vegetable beef soup, cornbread, salad items, and bread pudding. Everything is made from scratch and has plenty of flavor. We will certainly make Smokehouse Restaurant a must stop place anytime we are in the area.

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! for the wonderful review. We appreciate your response because good information is so motivating to us to keep it all going. The hours here are long and grueling, and just a little bit of appreciation goes a loooooooooong waaaaaaaay.! Our family has had this business since 1960, and we have been serving travelers and locals alike every day since then. Our father, Jim Oliver, started the business, and Betsy and I grew up in the business. Dad passed in 2007 and now we are doing our best to carry on his legacy, with a little bit of our twist on it for fun. I will definitely pass your review and comments on to all the staff and to Smokin' Man Mike. Come see us again when you can.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Cold, and old food, wait forever if you order off the menu you will wait forever to eat. Didnt like anything, but the bottle of beer but they can't screw that up

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were traveling through the area and we stopped because it was convenient. My husband and I were not impressed. We ate from the Buffet for convenience. The food to me was maybe average. The food was not hot. This included the meat selections, cooked vegetables, and anything else that should have been hot. I gave three stars, but would have given 2 1/2 if possible. The waitress was very friendly so that was a plus.

1  Thank CarolinIN
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you very much for the feedback. Seeing that you went to our food bar, I'm wondering if you dipped your food off the bottom of the pans, or from the top. This seems so elementary, but many customers forget to go to the bottom of the pot for the hottest food, the food on top is cooler; including the meats. If we kept the food any hotter, it would continue to cook and become mush. Come see us again soon. Thanks for coming in.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight and ate supper at their restaurant. Although a little "over the hill" and in need of a serious update, it's still a charming stop over in the mountains. They have a general store that overwhelms the senses with their canned and bottled goodies. The homemade fudge is very good...recommend the chocolate whisky variety...and u can have a sample of ur choice for free. Jim the pit master had a big pile of smoked pork, beef, and ribs he was handing out as samples. I had a nice conversation with him about his technique. My wife ordered the pulled pork sandwich and i got the Smokehouse Club. She said her pork was very good. She had apples and hash browns for sides and they were tasty. My Sammie was superb. It was served hot and it's not your routine deli meat club. Real thick cut sugar ham, smokehouse smoked turkey breast, and house smoked bacon piled high. They drag it thru the garden if u ask, and there's enough for two...I'd get it again in a heartbeat. I had fried green tomatoes as a side and I couldn't eat them...soggy and greasy. That knocked down the food rating. Our room was clean and quiet...serviceable but not elegant. Staff was excellent and helpful. Good value for the money, but don't go shopping crazy in the store :-)

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant Trading post, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you so much for your comments and for your business, we appreciate both. Next time we'll do better on the fried green tomatoes. Our business has been here since 1960, and yes, some things may be a little old, but that doesn't stand in the way of good food and good service. We are renovating and cleaning up a lot of clutter from the years, but leaving all the good stuff that fascinate folks who keep coming back to the Smoke House. Thank you and come back and see us.