“Great food, wonderful service and an interesting setting.”

High Point Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Monteagle
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Built inside a 1929 mansion that presumably once was financed by Al Capone, the restaurant serves a menu of traditional gourmet dishes including Brie en Croute, Blackened Salmon Oscar and Black Thai Duck. The mansion that houses the restaurant was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and still features the original escape hatches and underground tunnels that were used by Capone to transfer liquor during the Prohibition Era. In 2001, High Point received the "Best Gourmet Meal in Tennessee" award from "Tennessee" magazine.
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I travel to this area of Tennessee for business from time to time and I have been lucky enough to eat at High Point twice now during these trips. Both visits were with a rather large group of colleagues and we were easily accommodated in the rambling old house. For our most recent gathering, there were almost 30 folks and we were seated in a room toward the back of the establishment with three tables. It was a little snug, but we’ll just say it was cozy and move on.

The service at High Point was unsurpassed. The servers were very friendly, extremely helpful and quite expedient. They did an excellent job in juggling the orders for our large group.

The menu is mostly steak and seafood, and there are several excellent looking choices. There is also a nice variety of appetizers, soups and salads. The prices are a bit high (this ain’t a really inexpensive place), but I believe that the food is worth it, so it is a pretty good value. By the way, the bread that is served with the meal is excellent; sort of a sourdough, but not quite as chewy, plus they are good size…I ate three!

I finally opted for the High Point Oscar (filet mignon with crab meat in a béarnaise sauce server with asparagus. The server said that this was the most popular meal on the menu and I now know why as it was excellent. I opted for the lobster bisque instead of a salad, another great choice. Looking around the table as the dishes that my friends had selected I saw that all were very tasty looking and that many were HUGE! Some of the steak and seafood combinations were simply a plate full of food. But I did not see any of the plates return to the kitchen with anything left on them.

There is a full bar at High Point and there was an extensive wine list. However, for a beer drinker there is not much to cheer about. There is nothing on tap and a very meager selection of ho-hum beers and nothing with an ABU over 30 (a tragic situation for a hop head like me). But that is a small price considering that the food served is so good.

During dinner, I was sitting across from a colleague who is local to the area, and he commented that he and his wife will visit High Point several time during the year and have never had any issue with being seated or with the quality of the food. His only caution was that if there was some sort of event going on at the local university that the place could get crowded.

I guess that High Point was about a 30 minute drive from where we were staying in Manchester; an easy road trip on I-24 heading toward Chattanooga. I can see this becoming a regular stop when on travel in the area.

Reviewed 5 February 2013

The history and atmosphere was just the beginning of the experience. The wait staff were extremely attentive and the food was truly five star. While it seemed others were working on lavish steaks, we opted for the Trout. One grilled and one pecan encrusted. Like no other and we have a lot to compare it too.

1  Thank Renea J
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Hands down, this restaurant is one of my all time favorites. The menu is different, and the steaks are certainly the best I have eaten, and that includes Ruth's Chris. Located in an old mansion, with gangster flavor from the 20's, it's an easy and scenic drive from Chattanooga. I will go again and again.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

This place has eluded me for years. I have lived within 30 miles of it my entire life and never stopped in. Shame on me! This place has a very cool history, being once owned by Al Capone and his fella running all throughout the house and tunnels underneath was pretty cool to think about. The building itself is just that, an old house. Nothing fancy at all, I think that is why it is so neat, is that it is simple. It is a higher end restaurant so the price is a little higher so don't post negative comments about it if you failed to do your homework first. We got Blackberry Duck and Queens New York Strip and wow, cooked to perfection! The salads, BLT Bibb, were heaven on a plate. Great wine selection and food selection as well. Everything was timed about perfect, giving plenty of time to eat without rush, talk without hurry, and eat at a nice pace. We loved it. The parking is a bit of an issue but hey I had to dig to find a flaw.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Excellent service. Warm appealing atmosphere. Food VERY GOOD. We started with the Winter Blackberry Salad (fancy mixed greens, blackberries, blue cheese and walnuts), Ribeye with baked potatoes and ended the meal sharing the most AMAZING grilled pound cake. The grilled pound cake alone is worth the visit! We will make a point to stop in next time we are in the area.