“Al Capone's High Point” 5 of 5 bubbles

High Point Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Monteagle
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Built inside a 1929 mansion that presumably once was financed by Al Capone, the restaurant serves a menu of traditional gourmet dishes including Brie en Croute, Blackened Salmon Oscar and Black Thai Duck. The mansion that houses the restaurant was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and still features the original escape hatches and underground tunnels that were used by Capone to transfer liquor during the Prohibition Era. In 2001, High Point received the "Best Gourmet Meal in Tennessee" award from "Tennessee" magazine.
Denver, Colorado
“Al Capone's High Point”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have visited HighPoint numerous times, and every visit has been excellent. There are many selections to choose from, and all are excellent, well prepared, and presented. - It is always fun too, to share with first-timers the history of HighPoint and its association with Al Capone. It always seems to make the meal more intriguing.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank William G

Monteagle, TN
“Birthday Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We celebrated my wife's birthday there with friends and had a ball. Al Capone built the house 75 years ago for his Monteagle Girlfriend and as a stopover place between Chicago and Miami. The portions are large and very tasty.

Visited August 2013
Huntsville, AL
“Good service, barely mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and spent our anniversary evening dining at the High Point, and on the whole, our experience was very disappointing. Very different from the experience we had five years before, the last time we dined at High Point. We had a wonderful server, but the food was next to awful, and overpriced to boot. We ordered a appetizer with sea scallops, and after one bite into a scallop, it was apparent the fish was either spoiled or had been frozen too long--both my wife and I had to spit what we started chewing into a napkin. Having mentioned this to the server, she was sympathetic, but that is as far as it went--no one at a management level bothered to speak with us. Our salads were good, but the steaks we ordered were average at best--somewhat tough, no better than ones we could have gotten at a diner, and were $30+ for each. I casually mentioned this to the server, again she apologized.

I hope the server conveyed to the chef and/or manager our comments regarding the scallops--if other diners ordered these during the evening following our exit, hopefully the management would have been diligent in determining if there was a quality problem of the fish on hand that evening, going beyond the scallops.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank travelman049
Nashville, Tennessee
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I drove to High Point to meet old friends and have dinner. I was excited to try this place after reading all the reviews. The first thing I noticed after being seated was how dirty all the windows were including the sills....the. Glass around the table candle even needed cleaning. The walls around the doorways also looked dirty with handprints on them...my view outside to the patio included the backside of a table leaning up against the outside of the house and a big bucket...not a. 5 star view. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We had the coconut shrimp for a appetizer...pretty good but over fried. My husband had the seafood plate. The scallops were superb, lobster yummy....potatoes mushy. I had a filet that was done to perfection....blt salad was on warm mushy lettuce...mediocre at best. I would love to give them a higher rating and I think if they gave the building a good cleaning that would be a start. I couldn't help but wonder how clean the kitchen was.....sorry but after paying over $120.00 I have to say it wasn't worth it

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“True diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

While we spend a lot of time in Mount Eagle and Sewanee and they are wonderful places with incredible natural beauty and outdoor activities, you would not expect a Five Star dining experience in this rustic area. High point is always an excellent dining experience. Everything on their rather extensive menu is prepared to perfection. We have eaten there a dozen times and have always had a fantastic meal and experience. The menu is extensive and varied, from oysters to steak. The fish is always fresh and the steaks are excellent. The food is worth the price. The setting is a wonderful experience in itself. Restuarant is in a wonderful old home with alot of history and is actually on the National Historical Register. Sevice is always outstanding and the wine list is good. There are actually some excelent dining opportunities in the area but this one should not be missed.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Flashstar

Been to High Point Restaurant? Share your experiences!