“The Smokehouse Lodge, near Sewanee”

The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Monteagle
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I have been staying here for the last four years while my son attends The University of the South, Sewanee. I love the restaurant and gift shop. the brisket and barbeque are awesome. On my last visit however (8/14), the room could have used a dry mop, the floors were dirty. Parts of the room could have used a more through cleaning and some paint. The free "WiFi" is the worst ever, do not plan on anything working or staying connected to it. For the last 4 years I have had my Nexus 7 tablet, Galaxy 101 tablet, and Samsung Galaxy S3 phone not work with the internet, signal is best in the lobby, but no where else. What a joke. T-mobile does not have decent service in the area. The best part of this hotel is it is near Sewanee. The staff were friendly and tried to be helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeffrey A
hamper1960, Owner at The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank You for your review. We appreciate your comments and will certainly pass this on to all the staff. A recent electrical storm struck our equipment here, and we've been having problems ever since it happened. Putting in all new Charter Internet modums and routers now and that will fix our problems on the wireless internet. The construction around the rooms has given us some problems with dirty floors and rooms being slightly undone, we are about finished and looking foward to cleaning up and getting everything in order. Hoping you will stop by to visit us again on your next trip over Monteagle Mountain.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

This place is a real dive. If you like bare bones motels that smell like pitt bbq you'll love this! Beds are aweful and for our first day there was no shower curtain. I paid at least twice what this dump was worth.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jeff K

Thank You for your review. We appreciate your comments and will certainly pass this on to all the staff. The construction around the rooms has given us some problems with dirty floors and rooms being slightly undone, we are about finished and looking foward to cleaning up and getting everything in order. Hoping you will stop by to visit us again on your next trip over Monteagle Mountain.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Been coming to the Mountain for 35 plus years. I've seen the various iterations of accommodations throughout the years, and am consistently disappointed with the Smokehouse. The rooms were in bad shape, paint was peeling from the outside walls, the beds were bad, the lock on our door broken. A new Sewanee Inn- a 4-5 star hotel- has just opened 7 or so miles away and provides an alternative not yet seen. The Smokehouse needs to "up its game" if it wants to be at all competitive in this area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MargBarg

Thank You for your review. The construction around the rooms has given us some problems with dirty floors and rooms being slightly undone, we are about finished and looking foward to cleaning up and getting everything in order. Hoping you will stop by to visit us again on your next trip over Monteagle Mountain. We appreciate your comments and will certainly pass this on to all the staff.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was fatigued from driving and decided to stay at The Best Western in Monteagle; I chose the BW over the Super 8 because I thought it would be better maintained due to the appearance of its exterior. The first room to which I was assigned had dead fruit flies and lint in the bathtub and the smelled very musty. The second room which I was assigned had fresh urine and hair on the rim of the toilet. The staff members at the front desk were very understanding and apologetic. I told them I'd clean it up myself since I didn't want to change rooms again. I went to lay down on the bed and felt something on my neck and back; I looked in the mirror and saw a red bump. The last straw was the sight of a "water" bug on the ceiling. The front desk staff member was very understanding as was Priceline who refunded the room charge. I am now at Super 8- the rooms are clean here. :-)

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Melissa P
hamper1960, Owner at The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for your review, we appriciate your comments. Sorry we dropped the ball, the front desk staff should have moved you into another room without question. We have been in and out of the rooms with construction, painting, and remodeling and the doors have been open for insects to come in, and the construction/painter workers must have used the toilet when they were in there, after housekeeping; so sorry for that. It's been a job just trying to keep up with the workers coming in and messing up a previously cleaned room and then them not telling housekeeping about beinbg in those rooms. We appreicaite you bringing this to our attention and hope you will come in and try us again on your next trip.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Pleasant surprise at the "top of the mountain". Large rooms, nicely furnished, very comfortable beds. Attached SmokeHouse restaurant had excellent BBQ, nice buffet. Live local music. Staff was great... that warm, friendly, "down home" welcome you'll only find in Tennessee, USA.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your review, we appriciate your comments.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Checked in a 3:45 pm. No towels in room - actually, a couple of left over towels (assume clean?) from the last guest. I mean 1 bath towel and 1 wash cloth was it (for 2 adults). Called from desk. They were OUT/apparently full house night before (lots of excuses but no towels). Left, did some errands, 1-1/2 hours later, still no towels. Two more trips to the office to finally get towels. (And another trip because the door card quit working.) That night, 10:30 p.m. turned in for the night - guess what? DAMP SHEETS!!! Apparently, a problem with laundry. It was COMPLETELY DISGUSTING. I slept on top of the towels (that I finally stood in the office and waited to receive). The hotel is being remodeled. No chain or slide lock on the interior door (so if you are inside, the staff can still come on in with a key...). The room was decent and appeared to be clean - so no issues there but it was SO noisy. There is a laminated floor and apparently the person above me paced, clomped and dropped things - literally all night long (12, 1, 2, 3 - yes all night). There was a glass plate of chicken bones and a take out cup on one of the railings outside that was there when we arrived, and no one cleaned it up (still there when we left the next day). I'm still at a loss over the towels and sheets. Even if a hotel is full, there's no way that every towel in the place (do they not have any extras?) could be dirty at the same time. I assume they rushed through the sheets (why they were still damp to get to the towels). We were on the front side of the hotel (don't do it). The back side looked nicer and seemed to have a bit of a view. But, unless there is a major announcement of a management change, I will never stay there again. I've never been happier to leave a hotel. And, when I checked out, the staff never asked about my stay (though they did ask another person who checked out at the same time). I guess with my three appearances in the lobby the day before, they already knew my answer, however, I sure would have liked to tell them about those funky sheets! But, I guess that's what Trip Advisor is all about. I'm very sure they will provide a rebuttal, but please read "EXCUSES" into what they say. There is NO excuse for this other than they need a staff/management change. Don't do it people. There are other hotels in there area - check them out.

Room Tip: Don't do it! But, if you choose not to listen, then stay in the back side or one of the newer ca...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TravelingFromTN
hamper1960, Owner at The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

You are right, there is no excuse for most of these problems, we dropped the ball and our management did not follow up checking the room as should be, and the laundry should have had the laundry done, period. We have plenty of linens, but evidently they didn't follow up on their job. We are very sorry for your experience and are following up on correcting these issues. Thanks for your review and comments, it's customers like you that help us to make correctioins and make for a better property.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a small gathering of buddies on the mountain and quite enjoyed the rooms and back porch at the Best Western. They had very comfy 2-person gliders looking over the beautiful property and we had a great visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your comments, we appriciate your review and your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteagle
The Sewanee Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 17 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball

Been to The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!