“Great Night Away”

Ranked #2 of 3 Monteagle B&B and Inns
Wheaton, Illinois
“Great Night Away”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here on our first anniversary. Staying at this place reminded me of "The Newhart Show." Super quaint ("cute" as my wife says) with lots of book shelves and books to read, and lots of character. Really cool fireplaces in several rooms, and lots of interesting history behind the place. The porch swing and rockers on the porch were some of our favorites... the wraparound porch is huge with lots of places to sit and relax. We had a small discrepancy with our room but Dede the innkeeper was really quick to help us out. It's hidden on a very unique property that kind of feels like Mayberry of the Andy Griffith show. Never been anywhere like this, and it's not far from South Cumberland Gap State Park where we went to check out Greeter Falls (beautiful!!).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shorewood, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband and I discovered The Edgeworth Inn, this past weekend, while taking our son to college at Sewanee. The historic home has a welcoming wrap-around porch (complete with rocking chairs) and is nestled in a hilly and wooded area with other charming "cabins" owned by families who vacation there. Our room was roomy and comfortable with a private bath. The food was delicious and they could accommodate our ever changing schedule. It is a beautiful home with common areas for everyone to use and enjoy. If you like porches, this is the place for you!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GretchenES
Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

I was at an event at the Edgeworth Inn for the Mountain Goat Trail Alliance and the food was incredible. The building was rustic and almost put you back in time. There is no way I would stay there because it is SUPER expensive, and I live 6 miles away, but as far as the food goes, it's top notch!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seth L
Madison, AL
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We loved the inn. Not like the typical B&B - had tons of privacy and didn't feel like my kids were being frowned upon. So much fun to peruse all the old books stacked everywhere. We had booked a room with two double beds (2 adults & 2 kids), but the proprietor even told us we could use another room in addition free of charge. My kids loved it also, and didn't even miss TV or video games once!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne C
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 12 June 2013

With our son at St. Andrew's School in nearby Sewanee, we were looking for a comfortable place to stay for four days during commencement. We were surprised by a beautiful southern home in the historic Monteagle Chautauqua, a nice room, a large front porch, and enjoyable breakfast on the porch. A relaxing stay!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cvs55
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I found the Edgeworth Inn by accident. I was planning my wedding at Sewanee and needed a place to hold a simple wedding dinner. We wanted a quiet, intimate affair with our family after the ceremony at the Memorial Cross. I checked with a few places, but nothing was really fitting us. On a whim, I called the Edgeworth Inn. The owner was so accommodating and gracious. Within 20 minutes, we had all of the details worked out. She made it so easy on me.

On the actual day, I was so ecstatic. Everything was just perfect. Everyone enjoyed sitting on the beautiful front porch in comfort until my husband and I arrived. The table settings were gorgeous. The food was divine. The staff was friendly and catered to our every need. The classic cliche is that the bride never gets to eat at the reception. When the staff saw me distracted, they stopped to make sure that I got a chance to sit down and eat. The quiet, quaint setting was so perfect for our party and it will remain one of my fondest memories of the day.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Allison C
Chicago
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I travel frequently on business and usually do not stay in B&B's but found the Edgeworth Inn while visiting Sewanee with my son. This is an old-fashioned rooming house situated in a resort community of vintage cottages about 1/4 mile from the highway exit and light-years away from the highway hotel experience. The Inn is a designated historic structure with limitations that are to be expected: The rooms are not uniform -- some have bathrooms en suite and some do not. The plumbing and HVAC are old. There is no elevator. On the other hand, the beds are ridiculously comfortable, the food is great and the proprietor goes the extra mile to accomodate her guests. As it happened, my son enrolled at Sewanee and I've returned 4 times since our initial visit. Call well in advance on college weekends.

Room Tip: Call ahead and aske for Dede.