“try the chains for a sixth of the price--they may lack charm but they're clean and professional”
Review of The Edgeworth Inn

The Edgeworth Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Monteagle B&B and Inns
nashville, tn
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I was rather disappointed with my stay starting with the moment I arrived at the property and was scolded by the owner for not confirming, though I had their email confirmation from 3 weeks before in hand. Yes, there had been a bit of snow a few days prior, but the roads were passable, even if the walk and steps to the property had not been cleared and were treacherous, especially with no exterior lights at 6:15pm arrival. Owner seemed to have forgotten the reservation as room was not ready, clean, nor heated. The least one can ask for in an historic property is that the floors be clean; instead, I dared not touch the floor littered with dead bugs, hair, and bits of trash when I woke in the night to search for more clothes to put on since the room was so cold. The bath mats were so dirty I kept my shoes on, preferring to shower at next stop. Ancient mattress and plumbing to match the 1896 property with sloping floors. Nice bright white towels yet no tv, radio, phone, clock nor even map of labyrinthine charming community. Nice breakfast and friendly manager/housekeeper/cook. Junky ambiance, full trashcans, old newspapers and coupon mags.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nashreader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nashville
Reviewed 4 May 2009

The Edgeworth Inn is a great place to eat and visit but the the bed was from the 1800's not sure the mattress has ever been replaced. It had a serious slope in the center. The bathroom was tiny to say the least. If you don't mind staying in a place where modern conveniences don't exist than this is the place for you. The walls are paper thin. We could hear everyone's conversations. The area and houses surrounding are beautiful and well worth walking the bridges and area. The food was very good. Dinner was a bit pricey for what it was. We stayed in the Chataugua Suite(which is located next to the gathering area and dining area, not a good choice!!!! If you do decide to stay, try another room.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank saavytraveler50
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed at the Edgeworth Inn and it is a lovely B&B but not for business travelers. There was no wireless internet access. Also, I found that I was a little lost and called the Inn several times between 6-8 pm and no one answered my call or called me back after I left messages. What if I had a genuine emergency? When I arrived, there was just a note with my room number, no key for the outside door which as a woman traveling alone did not sit well with me...I don't think it was locked all night. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast decent in the morning.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Brown County Indiana
Reviewed 21 January 2008

I stayed at the Edgeworth Inn for 5 nights, while I was attending a course at Sewannee University. I own an Inn, so I know what I am looking for in a B and B....and I found it here. The house is charming with very nice furnishings and interesting art. The Library room is very relaxing and full of books. My room was quite spacious and comfortable. Each morning a full breakfast was served and the cooking was fabulous. I give the Edgeworth my highest recommendation.

• Liked — The ambiance...relaxed, historic setting.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
Reviewed 15 June 2007

I can't remember the new name, but the old name is The Lamar Alexander suite, it's on the ground floor right across from the dining room. It's totall wonderful. There is an entry way with a door, then a door leading off to the small but well appointment bedroom with TV, chair, floor to ceiling windows and the most sinfully comfy bed with fluffy pillows and sheets, mmmmmmmm. The other door goes to your good sized bathroom with clawfoot tub (kinda small) and shower.

Now, this B&B is OLD, and it's not immaculate (thought it is clean, Ms. McFarland, the manager, runs a tight ship) and there is a small crack in the marble sink and the gutters need cleaning. But the porches are fabulous, so comfy and the food is to die for, and I think it just encompasses the best in a B&B, wonderful location, beautiful architecture, a comfy bed and good food.

We love it and can't wait to go back again next month (this will be our 4th trip!)

ALSO, you must go to High Point Restaurant. You simply must. It's the best restaurant in the entire world. Seriously. And get the lobster with the creamed spinach and the ceaser salad with lemon ceaser dressing and mediterranean olives and artichokes and shaves parmesean cheese.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — I love the whole place. I want to live there!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MorningMuffin
Parkersburg, WV
Reviewed 2 May 2006

Just came back from staying at the Adams Edgeworth Inn and I just can't say enough about how clean it was and the staff were great. It was a nice change from the everyday hotel. My sister and I loved the seclusion and the peace and quiet. If your looking for something different, this is the place to stay. We are planning on staying again next year.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Janice1529
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 July 2003

A beautiful honeymoon getaway! We loved the honeymoon suite, the unobtrusive staff, and the fabulous furnishings. It was top notch for the price and we were served a gormet breakfast that I still think about. A++++ stay for the area. MCB, TN

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monteagle
The Smoke House Lodge & Cabins
Hampton Inn Kimball
Hampton Inn Kimball
#1 of 5 in Kimball
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kimball

Been to The Edgeworth Inn? Share your experiences!