“Delivers again and again”
Review of The Provenance

The Provenance
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Beechworth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were fortunate to return to Provenance for another meal and it was just as wonderful. The chef came out onto the floor this time and spoke to diners which added something special to the night. Again really enjoyed the wines and sake. Hard to pick a highlight dish maybe the best carrot I have very tasted.

1  Thank Foodieadventure

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a later sitting on a Saturday night which meant we had an edge to our appetites. We weren't disappointed. The menu is varied and interesting. The wine list contains a wide variety of local and international options. The inclusion of the sake and Japanese whiskey is also a lot of fun.

1  Thank Geingis
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Japanese influence and very unique. Had heard about this "hatted" restaurant from Sydney and it did not disappoint.

1  Thank Jan L
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

To be honest I was expecting to be wowed after reading reviews of this place on various websites. Unfortunately we were underwhelmed by our food experience. I would give I 2.5 if possible. The place itself is gorgeous, casual and not overdone. We opted for the 8 course degustation plus the optional starter (and we shared the serving of matched wine, given one of us had to drive). I was initially excited that their was a Japanese theme to the degustation. The optional starter was delicious, tofu with sautéed seafood, each bite provided a new element, a bit of a taste explosion. My next course however was nice but nothing amazing, but I did enjoy the dish my partner had which was provided as an alternative due to his dietary requirements. The third course was another plus, seared beef with roasted broccoli, my only suggestion is to remove the additional orange pieces, it was a bit of over kill and didn't go with the meal when you took a bit with all the elements. Now to the negatives the next three courses need to be reassessed. The fermented turnips took over the dish and it didn't balance we'll with the smoke hapuka fish. The Duck breast was all wrong both in flavours, textures it was more like eating tongue. The meat was undercooked and skin was fried off but it was extremely salty. The lamb shoulder was ok but it didn't seem to match/flow with the rest of the dishes.

I enjoyed dessert macaroon with poached quince.

That being said given I enjoyed half of the meals I suggest the al la carte would be the better option. Additionally that match drinks were so-so, the sakes worked well but I don't think they have the right wines.

Service was ok but needs to be worked on. Given the fact we both only ate one bite from the duck no one seems to question why or provide alternatives. And the clearing of the table had to be requested. Usually a restuarant of this standard I would expect a seamless service.

On a final note Provenance has work on their Japanese flavours and my partner wanted to add that he did enjoy the home made bread.

2  Thank AAfemaletravellerAUS
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Sharing the degustation menu with friends is the food highlight of my life! The matching of wines with the dishes was superb and the food brilliant. The staff were exceptional and every effort was made for one diner with a food allergy. Cannot rate this highly enough.

1  Thank Annat048