“Our experience was very disappointing.”
Review of Hotel Nicholas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beechworth
Hotel Nicholas
Ranked #9 of 14 Beechworth B&B and Inns
Australia
“Our experience was very disappointing.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stopped by hoping for a nice country hotel meal while recently in Beechworth. Without going into it to much, go somewhere else. There are plenty of options in the town. We ended up at the Hibernian down the road and found their restaurant friendly, well priced and quiet.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KentAustralia

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wellsford, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We decided to avoid the lunchtime throngs at the cafes in Beechworth and went into the dining room at the Hotel Nicholas. What a treasure-trove the dining room is...lots of old photos and mementos of the past. The staff were all extremely friendly and the bistro food served was tasty and of generous-sized portions. We each had a beer with lunch and when combined with the cost of the food, we came away thinking we had received great value.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley P
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Having visited Beechworth briefly during a day-long tourist bus trip I returned via public transport on my own. It soon became evident that I needed more time there than the bus timetable allowed. I chose the Nicholas as we'd viewed the many historic photos there during the tour. Within minutes I was shown to a spacious room which exuded a Victorian atmosphere yet had all the conveniences one expects today including heat pump, hair dryer, radio/clock and TV. There was balcony with table and chairs plus a rocking chair. I particularly noted the small things that add so much to one's experience: plenty of coat-hangers, good quality coffee bags; wine glasses for both red and white plus tumblers; tasteful pictures reflecting the ambience; serviettes; matching furniture; large, comfortable bed, plenty of pillows, even a fruit bowl and a platter. The price of $100 included a continental breakfast which was organised and placed in the fridge or was already in the cupboard. There was a bottle of orange juice, a choice of two individual packets of cereal, a jug of milk, cartons of peaches and yoghurt, 4 slices of toast bread [both grain and white] and a whole container of jams/marmalade etc. No one could fault the cleanliness of the room; not a speck of dust, new looking towels and the stainless steel taps, mirror surrounds etc. were polished to the max. I had both dinner and lunch there and both were excellent. Where else would you get a mix of eight roast vegetables with a roast lamb dinner for under $20. Their selection of local wines was also first class and reasonable.
I was given a personal view of their historic cellar and help with finding my way around town and check out was arranged to suit my requirements and my pack stored until required later in the day.
There is also an extensive choice of bars and dining area which would suit all needs. The public bar, though small, was quiet and the patrons friendly. One even found me the cricket score from NZ on his smart phone.
All the staff were lovely and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.
I cannot recommend this venue too highly and certainly enhanced my visitor experience. It rates above just about all I have stayed in around the world which command far higher prices.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Carol O
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had lunch here after visiting Splatoons and the service was friendly and efficient. They brought out our meals and they were ample to say the least (huge) and the food was fresh and cooked perfectly for us. The meals are priced for those on a budget which is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We didn't stay here, just had a meal.