Provenance Accommodation
US$113
Best Western Beechworth Motor Inn(Beechworth)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$173
Agoda.com
Armour Motor Inn(Beechworth)
The George Kerferd(Beechworth)
  • Pool
All reviewsdouble showerspa bathsoft sheetsnext morningtasteful decorcooked breakfastcomfortable bedbeautiful townlocal producea great place to stayshort walkyogurtluxuryfridgehomemade
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Never do reviews, but Provenance deserves one. Stayed overnight at this B&B with the 3 course dinner package.

Accommodation is great- big comfortable king size bed with soft sheets. Nice size room with table and wardrobe, tv and tea/coffee making option. Bathroom lovely quality and huge spa bath and double shower- spa a lovely way to relax before the meal.

The dinner was just wonderful. Really complex flavours and textures beautifully balanced.

Huge wine list and really helpful suggestions from waitress on selection of gins, sakes and Spanish dessert wines - all were spot on suggestions.

One of the best meals we have had. Breakfast was also wonderful - light and tasty scrambled eggs and tasty bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes. A really memorable stay that we we will remember with delight.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Booked an overnight 3 course dinner package for an overnight spoil on our way back from Canberra to Melbourne. Impressed with the attentive but subtle service. The room was spacious and immaculate with every detail considered eg beautiful sheets, L'Occitane toiletries, comfortable robes. The spacious bathroom with double spa and double shower heads was a luxurious touch. Nice to be amble to amble 20m to the beautiful restaurant so be sure to book a great value dinner package - one of the nicest dinners we've ever had. The breakfast was also simple but delicious with every ingredient being of the highest quality produce and cooked to perfection! We will be sure to come back!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Steve's birthday celebrations started well on the Friday night at the Stanley Pub and the next day we continued the revelry by moving to Provenance in Beechworth. We faced the elements and enjoyed a mooch around the town with lunch at a local brewery before checking in and taking advantage of the amazingly comfortable bed and napped before dinner. This weekend was very much about good food and then sleeptime around the meals! But given I was still trying to fight off the lurgy, it didn't seem a bad way to spend the time.

Having heard great things about Provenance and having already recommended people try it before we even went ourselves we'd been looking forward to this for ages so to say we had expectations is probably true.

Steve has never been a fan of tofu so when the optional starter was house made silken tofu, soused seafood, wasabi, ginger he wasn't that fussed about opting in but I convinced him and he loved it! The little Asian teacup arrived pretty quickly - a lot sooner than our accompanying sake did but luckily I had opted for the champagne and still had plenty of that. Completely reminiscent of chawan mushi but tofu and not egg I loved the saltiness of the roe and the seafood and the fragrant ginger kiss and then the odd hit of wasabi. We soon learnt with the Provenance dishes to try and get as much of everything in one mouthful as it's about the sum of all the parts as opposed to individual features.

Next came vegetables, pickles, okayu sauce, puffed rice, umeboshi. I feared it would be like the veggie dish at Brooks where I was overwhelmed by the strong veggie flavours and at first mouthful when I had some beetroot and I think another piece of veg I began to think I was down that garden path so to speak. But then I ate more and loved the pickled turnip combined with the savoury almost chickeny okayu sauce and I got it. It tasted good!
Continuing the veggie theme we had roasted broccoli, broccoli puree, candied lemon, anchovy, capers. Completely different to the previous veggie dish I loved mixing the purees and the crumbs and the delicious iron flavours of the florets came through.

The smoked bonito, braised turnip, jamon consommé, sautéed lettuce, bottarga took us back to Japan and away from the veggie allotment. Thickly cut sashimi style seasoned with a meaty almost gluey consomme heavy on the jamon flavours and then lightened up by the cleansing turnip and lettuce.

We then took a turn towards meat and enjoyed pork cheek cooked in hay, grain and pea salad, coriander and blood pudding. I was a little apprehensive about the blood pudding because it was a bit flabby looking and I usually like the coarser, drier black pudding but when eaten with a but if meat some crunchy hay and pea puree it was delicious.

After pork came grass fed Yalandra wagyu, beets cooked in clay, beetroot jam, garlic and horseradish. Steve declared this one of the finest beef dishes he has ever had which is a pretty high accolade. I loved its silky texture and intense flavour off set with sweet beetroot and then a hint of horseradish warmth. An absolute memorable dish and a highlight.

Steve enjoyed the optional cheese course but I opted out given it was a blue cheese - Bleu de Laqueuille and it was served with quince jelly, saba and walnut bread. I had hoped they would be able to offer me an alternative but it didn't happen so I watched Steve eat and drink the quince liqueur and he did it with such enthusiasm and delight it was wonderful to watch!

Dessert was banana mousse, peanut frangipane, orange and miso caramel. The banana mousse was fruitier than I expected. Loved the cakey goodness of the peanut frangipane and the zestiness of the orange. Have to concede though that it wasn't the most amazing dessert I've ever had.

Thinking back to dinner at Provenance and it was such a great evening because there was a sense of anticipation as we waited for the next course. I love that sense of uncertainty, of pushing boundaries and when the flavours come together for that party in the mouth, it's amazing.

In the last three weeks, Steve and I have been lucky enough to try out three great two hatted restaurants - Stokehouse, Aria and Provenance and it's really interesting to compare them. Absolutely the food is delicious at all. Aria wins for classic flavours elevated to stellar status but undeniably it wasn't that exciting and if we weren't with 4 friends it could have been a dull night. Stokehouse, great date place and a pleasant evening...more neighbourhood restaurant than destination dining though. And then Provenance - exciting, worth a trip and I think the fact that the whole package was dinner and a gorgeous room and a spa bath just made it a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife booked the accommodation as part of my birthday celebration. We stayed two nights (June 28/29) and ate at the restaurant on the Saturday night. Our room was large with a king bed, it was well appointed and had an especially large bathroom. As bed and breakfast venues go this is one of the better ones I have stayed in. The breakfast was excellent and the dinner we had on the Saturday night demonstrated why the venue gets rated so well in the Good Food Guide. I would recommend Provenance to others

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I booked a nights accommodation and the degustation dinner for my husband's surprise birthday gift. I was disappointed with the lack of luxurious touches for the price of the room. We were given a jug of milk to have with a cup of tea. That was all! There was no complimentary water or even drinks that could have been purchased in the bar fridge. The bed was comfortable, room a good size and spa and double shower in the bathroom. I have stayed in a lot of 5star hotels and it's often little touches like flowers or a chocolate that makes a difference and this was definitely lacking for me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple