“Beautiful gardens and a great break...”
Review of The George Kerferd

The George Kerferd
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Beechworth
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked in at the Kerford at the last minute intending to stay just a night before moving onto to Bright - we ended up staying for two and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is settling in with new managers who are local with lots of information about the area. We upped to a spa room which was freshly decorated and spotless. The feature for us was the gardens of the May Day Hill asylum, 20-acres planted in the 1870's, the outlook from our hotel room was across the paddocks of the asylum's 200 acre farm. We'll definitely go back again, such a quiet base to explore from and really easy to spend a half day just in the grounds.

Room Tip: The spa room was well worthwhile, a room with an outlook over the farm is to have.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonnie L

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have just returned from one of the best weekends i have had, stayed at the George Kerferd Hotel in Beechworth, we were recommended to stay here as a girlfriend and myself were doing the butter making at the Myrtleford Butter factory, as we are foodies they said we should stay at this place and eat in at the restaurant as they knew the owners and the head chef Tim, Wow what an amazing time what wonderful people they all are at this hotel. This place is just gorgeous, wonderful gardens, fantastic hotel and if you thought it couldn't get any better; we were treated like family. Michael, Tim and Gayle you deserve the best nothing was too much trouble. Tim your food is on a par with any restaurant in Melbourne. And just as a little aside this used to be the insane asylum which is just fantastic to look around it felt so peaceful - gardens are just beautiful. Michael thank you and your staff for making our stay such a wonderful one and I do not think I have ever laughed so much in 2 days before, I will absolutely be back, my only concern is that too many people will get onto this gem and it will hard to get a booking, well done all of you. And last of all very very good value :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the basic room which was wonderful but they are doing more rooms as we speak
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I checked in at the George Kerferd and was told that I could bring my bicycle into my room. Or, if I preferred, there was a storage area available. What great service, I didn't even have to ask, there were no steps or anything like that to negotiate either.
I had a very modern room, clean and spacious. Huge bed and very comfortable.

The hotel is built on the grounds of the old lunatic asylum. It's worth taking a walk around to look at the old buildings and read the storyboards talking about life of the mentally ill over 100 years ago.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We found the room very clean and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The only issue we had was that the curtains did not close and the dark blinds did not block out the morning sun. Very comfortable otherwise

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight in the Spa room. It was large and spacious, with a very comfy bed.The room and bathroom were very clean and décor was vibrant and stylish. The view from the window was lush bushland. Parking was easy and staff were friendly and helpful in recommending places to visit in Beechworth. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant as it was convenient, and the food was amazing. Nice place stay to escape hectic city life. We look forward to coming back again!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We only stayed a night but won't forget this place in a hurry! Comfortable and clean rooms with comfy beds and gorgeous views of the grounds. The staff were so flexible, fun and friendly, yet professional and attentive. Nothing I asked for was ever a problem and we were lucky enough to get late checkout thrown in! (You made the stay for me Michael :) delicious quince btw!) Beechworth Ghost tours depart from the same grounds making the G.K a very convenient place to stay the night afterwards. There is also a day spa on the grounds, very luxurious. Shopping and visiting the friendly local pubs in Beechworth town gave us a very happy afternoon. Above all, you must try the restaurant at George Kerferd. It was a fabulous experience. The food was creative, used many local and in season ingredients and was absolutely delicious! We had to squeeze in 3 courses. This is not just a "picture on a plate" restaurant. Although the food is beautifully presented, there is also plenty of it! Again, you can just roll back to your room afterwards. I have to go back to stay again, I just hope things don't stray too much from the successful formula these guys have :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend last month, just a week or two after they opened. The staff were friendly and accommodating, ensuring there was a DVD player in the room as requested. The grounds were amazing, and we loved the ghost tour we went on there. Room was very small but did the job.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank FeistyKel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beechworth
Best Western Beechworth Motor Inn
Armour Motor Inn
#2 of 6 in Beechworth
Golden Heritage Motor Inn & Cottages
Beechworth Carriage Motor Inn

Been to The George Kerferd? Share your experiences!